Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Reference and FAQ Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/)
-   -   Custom tools you've made (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/296199-custom-tools-youve-made.html)

93Wing 07-12-2010 02:50 PM

imported post

I inherited several of my dads homemade tools for aircraft engines and airframes. I also have been known to make my own tools including several modified wrenches, sockets and the latest was the tool to take the forks apart for rebuilding.....

They might be ugly but they sure are functional....

maplewingnut 07-13-2010 10:00 AM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
To get those stubborn brake pistons out of the calipers:

A Zerk grease fitting threaded into an M10 nut. Screw it into the caliper, a couple of pumps on the grease gun, and out pops the piston.

Broke Winger 08-16-2010 02:11 AM

imported post

My bench top rig for compressing GL1100 air shocks for rebuild. There is a write up on ithere .

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/100_3489.jpg

Marcus 04-27-2011 09:56 PM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my tire bead breaker/tire work stand.

Marcus 04-27-2011 09:56 PM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another view.

Marcus 04-27-2011 09:57 PM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
And, a close up view of the breaker foot.

peterbilt 04-27-2011 11:58 PM

imported post

any tool that works and keeps you from skinning half your knuckles off is a complete sucess

redbaron 04-28-2011 03:52 PM

imported post

I had posted to this thread when it first came up over "home made tools"...I can't help but think of that saying about "Necessity is the mother of invention"....Just think how many tools that you go to tool stores and buy that make all of our lives easier, and think every time you pick up a new wrench..."Who would have thought this up"????....People just like you and me needing to do a job, and no factory made tool to do it with.....

With that in mind this house that we live in was built in 1957, no air nailers, every nail put in with a hammer....Every pipe was most likely hand cut and hand threaded....This house and the others here like it, had crews of workers hammering nails cutting boards, installing the piping and electrical, even the sheet rock was hand nailed in.....Now with the advent of more and more air tools, power hand tools, what used to take months is now finished out in weeks.....

So the question of "Home made tools"????....Who knows next year those "home made tools" might be in your local tool store, and you will buy one thinking "Why didn't I think of this???"....You did but someone else seen it in a bigger and a flasher version, and they now set on tropical beaches, watching the tides roll in and out, drinking beverages of their choice, while you buy their "Home made tool".....

So if you have a "Home made tool" and its something that others might buy it could be in your best interests to patent it and get it on the market....:?....

Cousin Jack 05-03-2011 10:23 AM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my custom Power Constant Vacuum Super Deluxe One-handed Brake Bleeder for dealing with the complicated linked braking system on my Honda ST1300 sports tourer!

The white PVC elbow is a perfect fit for a round wand on our old Hoover.....stick in the wand, turn the Hoover on, and with me working a wrench on the caliper nipple, and with Red pouring fresh brake fluid into the reservoir, we can bleed the damn brakes!

The constant gentle suction from my home-built tool does the job!

UbarW 05-03-2011 11:44 AM

imported post

Xtracho wrote:
Quote:

I can't even draw a straight line with Photoshop!

Hold down the shift key while drawing your line. That will constraint it to a straight line...