Camping gear - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

That's great info CJ!! Maybe we can get Steve to put this in the Reference/FAQ forum.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:32 PM

Post imported post

A couple of other suggestions;

Buy an LED headlamp...I bought my first one about 3 years ago and it is the THE most useful thing I've bought for hiking in years...I can't believe how useful they are...since I bought my first one, I have bought one to keep in my jeep, one in my wing, one in my toolbox and one on my workbench.

Also, get some poly-pro undergarments, especially if you're going to be out in the cold....remember this, cotton kills. Wet cotton will wick away all your body heat causing hyperthermia...polypro underwear (and other clothing)won't...it dries quickly and keep you warm when it is chilly and cool when it is hot out...I started using it about 5 years ago, moving away from wool and what difference...there are different thicknesses for different temps.

Just my .02

....and oh, I used down bags for 20+ years...I am now using only synthetics...they clean easier, they are half (at least) the price for a given temp rating and they last at least as long, usually longer. They may weigh a bit more ,all things being equal, but overall they are alot easier to care for and although I was a "down-snob" for years and years, I've finally been enlightened....I still can't let go of one of my down jackets though....

OOPs saw that CJ recommended the headlamp already......yeah, what he said!

"Give me some wings I can glide upon" - Gordon Lightfoot

Bikes from previous lives...
1976 CJ360-T
1978 CX500
In Process...
1982 CX500 Custom

"Live Free or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" -General John Stark-

post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
Post imported post

For the portable urination station we use a folgers 3lb plastic coffee container. It has a handle built in so it is easy to hold, and a snap on lid. Line it with a small plastic bag, then stuf Depends into it. No drips that way, all you do in the morning is tie the plastic shut and toss it away. The wife uses it, she had a bit of geting used to it as it is a good bit smaller than the seat on a standard commode but she manages quite well. It really is nothing more than a modern adaptation of an old chamber pot.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Lost on this *****

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 Aspy
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Winger77
Post imported post

Great stuff gang. I'm taking notes here. Now the Gator Aid and the Folgers trick is something to think about. Maybe I should practice my aim with these

The things I liked,,,,I\'ve tried em twice!
You have to be a little Crazy,,,,,, or else you\'ll go Insane.
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 12:28 PM

Model: GL1800
Send a message via Skype™ to wingnut
Post imported post

It's been suggested that this thread would be useful for the reference forum even though it isn't strictly a tech thread. I do think that it deserves to be moved there.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to venturer9
Post imported post

Like GLester, I tend to go for the cheap.... Have camped in 18degree and 124degree weather and all done with the aid of a $32.00 tent and an $18.00 sleeping bag. If its cold add a couple of layers of clothing and if its hot, sleep like momma brought ya into the world.

I do use a thermorest self inflating mattress, these 69yr old bones have to have something between them and the ground.

A good day in a car is worse than a bad day on my Motorycle
post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:12 PM

Post imported post

that eureka tent you bought.... I don't like it. Here's why. The rain cover doesn't cover the entire tent. You're going to get wet if it rains. I use an REI tent which has a rain cover that goes all the way to the ground and includes a large vestibule area.

But the best thing about REI is the life time warranty. (keep the receipt) My poles broke and the tent cover ripped in a horrible wind storm and I asked REI for just new poles, after sewing the cover myself. They replaced the whole tent instead, with a newer model!

You'll pay a bit more an REI tents but you'll never have to buy another one.

1984 GL1200 STD/Vetter sidecar
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Roach wrote:
Quote:
that eureka tent you bought.... I don't like it. Here's why. The rain cover doesn't cover the entire tent. You're going to get wet if it rains. I use an REI tent which has a rain cover that goes all the way to the ground and includes a large vestibule area.

But the best thing about REI is the life time warranty. (keep the receipt) My poles broke and the tent cover ripped in a horrible wind storm and I asked REI for just new poles, after sewing the cover myself. They replaced the whole tent instead, with a newer model!

You'll pay a bit more an REI tents but you'll never have to buy another one.
Really? Could have fooled us...... been touring with a Eureka tent for years, in wind, rain, and snow..... never have gotten wet.....

Must be something wrong with the one we got...... only keep dry in it.....

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Quote:
Really? Could have fooled us...... been touring with a Eureka tent for years, in wind, rain, and snow..... never have gotten wet.....

Must be something wrong with the one we got...... only keep dry in it.....
I'd demand my money back!

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM

Post imported post

Here are my two cents on the sleeping bag debate. I have used both (down and synthetic) for 32 years. I have a pretty big family, so I use stuff and pass it on. That way I get to try a lot of stuff. I have also been a Scoutmaster off and on for many years. I have a rectangular down bag that has lasted me since I was 17. I'm 47 now.

It doesn't much matter whether you get down or synthetic except for the price. Both can be very good products or kind of crappy. Look at the style (mummy, rectangular etc.), quality and fit. Most (not all) of the cheaper bags have cheap zippers and fabric. However, if you shop you can find good deals. Get one that fits you. I am only 5'9", but most standard sleeping bags are too cramped for me. Try it on in the store.

Don't try to get one that is good down to 20 degrees below zero, especially if most of your camping will be done in warmer temps. The most reliable way to be comfortable in cold weather is inside of two sleeping bags (preferably a mummy inside of a rectangular bag). As a matter of fact two cheap bags are almost always warmer than one expensive bag.

As has been mentioned before, Thermarest pads are great. And, when I have room, I prefer to sleep on a roll-a-cot. You still need a pad on top of the cot to keep warm. The cot is high enough that you have a place to tie your boots when you gt up. I just came back from Scout Camp. I took the trunk off of my GL1200 and tied a big duffel bag of gear (including the cot) on the rack. It worked great.

http://www.camptime.net/roll-a-cot.htm

Present Bike: \'90 GL1500
Previous Bike: \'85 GL1200
Previous Bike: \'81 GL500I

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page