Camping gear - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:34 PM

Post imported post

Here is another little gem. It is the lightest stove I have ever used, and it gets really hot for a small backpacking unit. You can google olicamp scorpion stove or go to this link.

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/ol...ion-stove.html

Present Bike: \'90 GL1500
Previous Bike: \'85 GL1200
Previous Bike: \'81 GL500I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

Two little tips that may be useful....

take a few clothes pegs with you, that way, if the weather has been bad and then the sun comes out, or you have washed some clothes,you can peg them out on the guy ropes to dry.

If you are travelling with a tent that has lightweight pegs, take a couple of rock pegs, which look like oversized nails with a T piece welded on. Then if you come across some hard or stoney ground,you can bang these in first to make a hole for the lightweight pegs. If you have enough space and can take the extra weight, change out the pegs that are used for the outer flysheet for rock pegs before you go, and remember to take aclaw hammer, ( so the pegs are easily removed)or look for a rock to hammer in for an emergency job.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 01:11 AM

Post imported post

I camp with high school students usually 15-20 days per year in and around Big Bend National Park. These are my observations.

Thermorest makes good stuff, but other brands of self inflating pads can be found cheaper. Also, you may not want a full length pad- a 1/2 or 3/4 size pads most everything that is needed and lets your feet hang over; space saving.

I agree that a tent with a good rainfly is $ well spent. A $19 Walmart tent works great-- except for when you finally hit that big storm with wind. After only one miserable cold night you will regret not having spent the extra $$. REI, Kelty, Northface, and many others..even Coleman make good tents with large rainflies. Make sure that the door has a double zipper or that the zipper closes to the top. In many parks the wildlife (esp. skunks) have learned to nose open a zipper at the bottom of a tent to enter and look for food.

Pack a sheet of thick plastic sheeting or tarp to place under your tent. It provides a moisture barrier and helps keep down abrasion to the tent floor.

In sleeping bags, I like synthetic filler, but cotton exterior (hard to find in a cold weather bag). With a nylon exterior, the bag slides around the tent if you must pitch the tent on unlevel ground.

Scott
82 standard with Vetter extras
84 Aspencade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to rider 76 Send a message via Yahoo to rider 76
Post imported post

Hey Duds, 2 cheep sleep'in bags,one for the lady,and a plastic tarp & fish'in rod-who needs more?Besides, I ain't got no saddle bags or trailer (my OLE LADY don't mind)!

Did you know!?
A KIKI bird is a little foul that runs around Canada in the winter screaming KIKIKIrist it\'s cold!!! But those little *!!#*! don\'t scare me from riding!

75 Norton 850 64,000 MILES,1982 GL1100 INTERSTATE 74,000km.
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 01:21 PM

Post imported post

I agree with you. We've had a 6 man Eureka since 1989. It's been on about 12 weekend canoe trips, been used about 20 days per summer for at least 15 of those years, and is still one of our tents in use today. A definite favourite. Sure, we've been wet a couple of times, in hurricane-like conditions, but it is a phenomenal product. Highly recommended.document.write('[img]/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/waving.gif[/img]');[img]images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/waving.gif[/img]

Currently looking for a Goldwing 1800 for next year\'s east-coast adventure with the Little Mrs.

Presently riding a 77 Suzuki, GS750. Am an regular camper, paddler and hiker.
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 12:54 PM

Post imported post

I don't trailer and prefer to carry what I need on the bike - it makes packing much more difficult. I recently returned from a 45 day 14000 mile ride from Florida to Glacier, Denver to the Grand Canyon, Denver to Sturgis and the Badlands, picked up 16 National Park Stamps, and then home. Temps varied from 34F to 108F, rain lasted a week or so on the Grand Canyon leg, and I state/national park camped, renegade camped, hit a KOA or two.

I use a Sierra Designs Tengu 2 2-man tent, a Big Agnes 15F down bag, Big Agnes 25"x78"x2.5" insulated air mattress to get comfy with at night. I use a footprint under the tent to protect the waterproof fabric bottom. The down bag compressed far better than the poly/synthetic ones I found. Down bags are more expensive and if they get wet are a bear to dry out (which is why I carried mine in a waterproof bag inside my left panner). I had some misgivings about an inflatable air pad but it never deflated despite my 6' 220# mass.

The Tengu 2 compresses to about 7"x18" with poles, pegs, and footprint. The BA air mattress compresses to about 6"x10". I've been in some serious deluges (Sturgis 2008 where it blew 50mph+ and rained like water from a fire hose) and the tent never broke or leaked water.

I carried some of the MSR line: Whisperlite stove, BlackLite cook kit, 33oz fuel bottles, MSR coffee filter, and 6L dromedary. The only meal I didn't cook was lunch. The gear performed great. I also had a 450ml coffee cup, lexan cutlery, and a couple of collapsible bowls for meals.

I shopped every couple of days and ended up buying Lipton noodle mix; Uncle Ben's rice mixes, canned tuna, roast beef, and chicken; power bars, and ingredients for gorp. I also bought powdered Gatoraide so I could replenish my electrolytes at night (I mixed it about half of the directions and had good results).

The only gear exposed to the elements was the tent, camera tripod and gear bag. The waterproof REI gear bag contained colored bags so I could keep track of food (green), cooking gear (red), grooming gear (blue) and clothes (2 waterproof bags white in color that doubled as a pillow and a way to know dirty from clean riding gear). The inner bags never got wet despite some horrendous rain storms and high winds. The bag gear bag also doubled as a backrest. I bungeed the external stuff using some 1"x 42" adjustable bungee cords that lasted the entire time.

A number of the campsites were "primitive"; no running water and a dump toilet so having the ability to tote 8L of water to these sites was a nice feature. Some of the best sites were the furthest from the potable water and the dromedary and CamelBak made that pleasant too. I carried a .75L water bottle and a 24oz 2PN container for those late night urges.

I'm sure I could have gone cheaper but I decided that I was more interested in durability, size, and weight. In almost all my decisions I chose the smallest and lightest as long as the ratings were high. None of my gear broke.

Coupla tips, fwiw:

I carried 2 lengths of parachute cord (the good green stuff) so that I could hang up wet gear or tie the food bad out of reach of the critters.

I wore synthetic underwear exclusively. It washed easily and was usually dry the next morning.

I carried way too much clothing. All I really needed was 1pr. convertible pants, 2 sets underwear, sweatshirt, hat, sneakers, flipflops, and full riding gear. Gear that got washed but didn't dry out by the time I left got bungeed to the gear bag and was usually dry by morning.

I took 2 aspirin each morning after realizing that I'm not as limber as I used to be.

I was amazed how dehydrated I got regardless of temperature. I carried a CamelBak 3L and drank from it throughout the day. At the noon break I'd refill it with ice and water and was good to go for the afternoon. I tried the insulated mug and thermos with hose but the water got very warm and I found myself spitting out the warm water. The CamelBak has an insulated drinking hose and the water stayed much cooler.

I brought a couple of books to read at bedtime. The Black Diamond headlight has a brightness adjustment and I found that on low it was plenty bright. The unit uses 3 AAA batteries and I never came close to replacing the batteries.

Your number may not be called in turn, some pizzas take longer to burn.

08 Black GL1800ABS
06 Black ST1300ABS - Gone but not forgotten

IBA 30395 [SS1000/All in Florida, BBG1500, BBG1500AIF]
SCRC 101 Road Captain

ARRL Life Member - NS1A
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

I have read this thread with some interest and have to say that almost all my camping gear is not designed for motorcycle traveling...So with that in mind I am going to make a list of the items that have been brought up here and drag my wallet out and re-gear for motorcycle traveling....Orwould mounting a trailer hitch to my Wing be a good idea???? I just got finished putting a light bar I had bought from another member and don't know what type of hitch to use to keep from tearing this light bar apart and starting over........At this point I would either have to build or buy a trailer.... Pulling a trailer would allow me to use what I already have and save my bucks...

Here is my list of camping gear that I now have...My tent is a two room tent...... Wally World special.......takes about 15 minutes with two people to put up.....Coleman two burner stove..uses small propane bottles...I even have the fold up oven for it.......My sleeping bags are old style Coleman bags, not very small bags....But very nice in cold weather.....And of all things I have a Coleman fold up table that will set 4 people of two large people....My folding chairs and then there are the several sizes of coolers...from 12 pack up....I have several AWOL bags to pack clothes into plus all mine and the wife'smedications, and toiletries......This does not include all the other necessary items that one might take, like food......

Everything I had to camp with on a bike has been taken by my two sons and either given away or lost.....Ideas please......

Thanks

Claude

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 06:51 PM

Post imported post

You would be really surprised what you can fit in and on the boxes of a Goldwing. Our long vacation last year didn't have any camping, but had everything we might need and somethings we didn't.

This trip to Calhoun was a camping trip and we learned a lot on it. We had a tent that Nancy set up quickly, a queen sized air matress and used sheets and a blanket. Plenty of clothes, a coffee pot, single burner stove, propane lantern, lantern stand, two folding chairs, air pump for the bike and another for the matress, Nancy's Bible, and a roll of T/P.

Oh yeah, tools and a quart of oil. I started to tie the kitchen sink on the back just of giggles.

I'll start working on finishing my trailer and stop feeling like I've got the Titanic between my legs.

But all jokes aside, my ole 1200 took us and the load down the road all day at 70+ and still gave us 40 mpg.

"The Duke of" Earl.
PGR member
IBA member #32000
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:28 AM

Post imported post

Marcus, I have that same stove. I've had it for years and never had any problem with it.Used it alot before I got a larger bike and didn't have alot of room to carry alot of camping things, space was at a premium. I usually carry it for a spare now, if I need a extra one I just break it out. Great for heating up coffee water in the morning. Doesn't take up much room at all.

If we ever forget that we\'re one nation under GOD,
Then we will be a nation gone under.
"Ronald Reagan"
God Bless All,
Bill S.
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:48 AM

Post imported post

I have been camping for years. I think one of the best things I take is a 12 x 18 ft tarp along with poles to rig it up along with the thin nylon parachute cord. I bought the grommet rings so that you can add grommets to the middle of the tarp for a longer pole. This works really great if you happen to be caught in the rain. It seems if I'm on my bike in the middle of a area that hasn't had rain in 6 months I will draw the rain. My family calls me the rain maker. They told me to retire and travel to draught areas and charge for rain and I would become a millionaire, so the tarp is a must for me. Also another great thing is those large spring loaded paperclips. They come in really handy better than a clothspin because they are stronger than clothspins. I usually carry a least 12 of these.

Just a couple of other useful things that noone has mentioned.

If we ever forget that we\'re one nation under GOD,
Then we will be a nation gone under.
"Ronald Reagan"
God Bless All,
Bill S.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page