Camping gear - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 PM

Post imported post

Good ideas. I'm a Goldwing owner now. Just picked up a 2007 GL1800. Rode it back from Kansas City, MO. Love it. Now looking for a trailer to hook up to. Might make one, we'll see. I agree with you about the tarp. Best thing in your bag. Sometimes have slept under it without a tent, given the right conditions. I'm going to use the paperclips. that's a great idea.
Thanks wsmith

Currently looking for a Goldwing 1800 for next year\'s east-coast adventure with the Little Mrs.

Presently riding a 77 Suzuki, GS750. Am an regular camper, paddler and hiker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 08:30 PM

Post imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Quote:
I have used both down and synthetic bags, and, I respectively disagree about the desirability of down.

The new synthetics are cheaper, nearly as warm, longer lasting, and can be machine washed and dryed.... they have the incomparable advantage of down by virtue of, if they do get wet, they can still keep you warm, and will actually dry on you while you sleep......

Try these:

http://www.wiggys.com/
You can machine wash and dry a down bag (you never, ever want to dry clean a down bag, or let it air dry) and they outlast synthetic bags by a long shot. Use a commerical front load machine with plenty of rinse cycles, and put it in the dryer, low temp, with tennis balls to break up the down. I've been washing my down bag like this every year or two for 20 years and its like new wheneverI pull it out of the dryer.

Marco,
Albuquerque, NM

\'77 GL1000 (sold)
\'08 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
\'99 Ducati 900ss
\'97 Honda XR650L
post #33 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 PM

Model: 2006 1800
Post imported post

A credit card and a clean motel............

Back to riding after a 30 yr lay off.. Started with a 86 Magna 750 on to a 02 Shadow 1100,99 Magna 750,91 ST1100, finaly a 93 Wing.. and now an 06 1800 Loven Life...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to new83wing
Post imported post

lmao....as far as sleeping bags are concerned if you want something for cold nights then go to a Army surplus store.i have one from my unit when we got the new multi peice ones but they are extreme cold weather sleeping bags.Good for up to -25 degrees.Believe me they work wonders.The new army multi piece bag is sweet as well.Has 3 layers.The outside obviously being the waterproof peice.Warm,but not as warm as the oldie bag

81 XV750 Virago(BOBBER PROJECT)

80&83 GL1100 custom Apencade

OEF & OIF 2003 Vet
post #35 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to The Big Dog
Post imported post

Foodman wrote:
Quote:
The more I look for places to put all this stuff, the more I think Foodman is right

Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders Id# 186868
post #36 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

The Big Dog wrote:
Quote:
Foodman wrote:
Quote:
The more I look for places to put all this stuff, the more I think Foodman is right

Remember .... Less is more The less room you gear takes up, the more room you will have. Leave the kitchen sink at home!

Look at your assembled 'pile' of kit and remove half of it. Take only the necessities

Clothes - besides what you are wearing, you only need a change of 2 other pairs of pants/tops/undies/socks, for a trip of a couple of weeks or more. There are laundry facilities out there!!!

If you have a trunk rack, an inexpensive trunk rack bag will add much needed space for those riding 2 up. Just remember to pack it with light/bulky items to prevent yourlid from developing cracks from too much weight!(>12lbs)

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #37 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 02:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to The Big Dog
Post imported post

I bought the trunk bag you had on the other thread, I liked it better than the ones I have on my site, (dont tell anyone)
It needs some modifications though, the 1500 trunk seems to be larger than the 1100, But we will make it work, and thanks for the info on that, it's a nice bag

Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly

Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders Id# 186868
post #38 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Post imported post

We rode and camped from FL to CO and back last summer...we used a small 2-person dome tent....folds up small and light..fleece sleeping bags...ok down to 50-55 degrees...and better grade thermorest pads....get the good ones and you will sleep much better...they also roll up small and light....we chose not to cook...just did drinks and snacks at night...did eliminate lots of stuff to carry...carry 2-3 days of clothes, used a 3 season MC jacket with liners etc...did wash at local laundromats....ate at local joints whenever possible...keep it simple...lay out all the stuff you want to take before you load up the bike and be tough about what you really need....a stop at a cheap motel every 3-4th night was a treat...we averaged 100 bucks a day total...probably could have done it for 60-75 if we tried harder...out in the hot midwest...hit macdonalds for their 1 dollar sweet tea....free refills...
post #39 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 02:53 PM

Model: 2008 GL1800 w/audio navi
Post imported post

I've been hauling an Aspen camper behind the Yamaha RSV for the past 3 years. Now that I've got a new wing, I've ordered the hitch and wiring so that I can continue with the camper this year and into the future. On the few occassions we still use a tent, I've got down bags from Cabellas and inflatable mattresses. I enjoy being able to walk upright in the morning

Moose
post #40 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:47 AM

Post imported post

One of the first things I do is replace all of the tie down ropes with white parachute cord. You can see it at night much easier. Less tripping on the ropes that way.

This is similar to the ones we have:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...002000_325-2-0

We zipped 2 together and roll them up like that using a cinch sack. It's about 14-16 inches long and 6-8 inches in diameter.

Very warm in cold weather, and good in hot.

The wife requires a coffee pot for the evening. I just want my 3 cups in the morning. We eat out sometimes, and cook at the campsite others. We normally do sandwiches for lunch.

Jerry Hutchison
Upstate SC
Now on a 2010 YELLOW!
Waiting for the inevitable crash and burn
Darkside 1343 BT45 Front Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP Rear

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page