Camping gear - Page 5 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Post imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Quote:
-- carry butane lighters instead of matches, several....some on the bike, some on your person, to light your stove, campfires.... Butane lighters don't get wet!
I bought several of these butane torches, one of which lives in my bike's tool kit, along with some solder, electrical tape, a tiny multimeter, and spare wire, for impromptu on-the-road electrical fixes. It's more than capable of soldering wire (in fact, I often use it in the garage when I don't feel like hauling out my soldering gun & extension cords for a quick fix), it's refillable, adjustable, and hot enough to light pretty well anything on fire (or at least melt it).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Read my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to The Big Dog
Post imported post

Butane lighters, you mean like my cigarette lighter?

Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly

Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders Id# 186868
post #43 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 12:47 PM

Post imported post

Folding aluminium table.

Adrian
2002 GL1800A2 Orange Aug 09. We Love It
RoSPA Gold Advanced Rider and Tutor
IBA UK

RBLR1000 2010, 2011. RBLR1500BBG 2012

Pain is Temporary, Pride is Forever
\'02\' GL1800 A2, My First 1800 Aug 09
\'88\' GL1500 (Japanese Import)My First 1500 May 2008 (Moved on to make room for above bike)
\'80\' GL1100 Fully dressed ex standard Apr 2006 (Moved on to make room for above bike)
\'81\' GL1100 DBX Feb 2001 (Deceased Apr 2006)
\'80\' CB250N 1982 (Gone)
\'79\' CB250N 1980 (Wrote off)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 PM

Model: 1990 GL1500
Post imported post

I've camped in many parts of the world, I got a mummy bag about 30 years ago, I've still got it. It has a synthetic fill. It packs up small and is really easy to dry if it gets wet. It takes getting used to but as with everything else when you pitch your tent in the dark in an orchard you will eventually get to sleep if you are tired enough, I usually cover my self with my bike jacket for extra warmth.. If you get a decent foam mat, it will be very comfortable. You can kneel on it when doing maintenance on the run, sit on it when you eat your meals on scruffy campground tables and sleep on it at night and it doesn't absorb water. The pad can be got in various lengths, you get used to them and stay put.

<-----------Zoe and Duff

Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you\'re finished. - Leslie Nielsen RIP

Metallic Blue Green is the new Black!
post #45 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:51 PM

Post imported post

Here is a link to a great little sleeping bag. As you can see it packs light and small. There are some bevy components that make it perfect for the occasional nap stop. I travellight but augment mytravles with an occasional Hotel/Motel respite.

http://shop.navyseals.com/recon-3-sleeping-bag-540.html

I most often camp in primitive sites at State and National Parks most have some sort of rest room/shower/laundry facility which is most helpful.My tent isa Big Agnes Emerald MountainSL3.I love it... Because it is a freestanding tent it goesup in under 5min, I only stake it down for bad weather....Been in a few gully washers and it has never leaked.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Det...aldMountainSL3

I Ride a GL 1200 because it is my favroite Bike not the other way around.

Trying to ride every patch of blacktop in the lower 48
post #46 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 10:16 PM

Garage
Post imported post

i have a small 2 man tent takes about 1 minute to set up it just pops up, i carry some inflatable mattresses, your bike has an air pump i carry a small fan that can run on 12 volts or batteries, helps circulate air in the tent, some match lite charcoal only good for starting campfires in my opinion a small fishing pole never know when your going to need it, some steel clothes hangers, marshmellows yummy yummy, bug spray ect keep it light, compact, and small faster to set up, take down and get moving

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #47 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Q

Post imported post

Something I just discovered last year is the Bodum Travel Press. Basically an insulated plastic french press that doubles as a coffee mug. Put in a scoop of fresh ground gourmet coffee, fill with boiling water, screw on top, wait 5 minutes, press the rod down, pop the drinking plug open, enjoy. It's rugged, makes a BIG cup of excellent coffee, and only costs $10 at Target.

Another thing I always take is a little cheap Palm PDA loaded with several e books. Much more compact than paper books and can be read in the dark without a flashlight. Makes enough light to find the flashlight after dark. Also does all the regular Palm stuff.

Speaking of flashlights I carry a AA Maglite with LED conversion. Made an aimable holder for it from one of those large spring steel paper clips with a 1/4" nut attached that allows it to be screwed onto the little tripod I carry for the camera.

For charging the flashlight, PDA, camera, netbook, etc., I have 140 watt inverter mounted under the faux tank side panel with a 110 V outlet on the fairing.

Q
post #48 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 07:41 AM

Post imported post

For any outdoor stuff I always check out the local army surplus store. If its good enough for the british army!!!.
Also gives you good ideas.
post #49 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 04:29 PM

Model: 1990 GL1500
Post imported post

Everything I had to camp with on a bike has been taken by my two sons and either given away or lost.....Ideas please......

Thanks

Claude

[/quote]

I feel your pain, mine have absconded with everything..

<-----------Zoe and Duff

Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you\'re finished. - Leslie Nielsen RIP

Metallic Blue Green is the new Black!
post #50 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

This for 2 people, Colm, or for solo use and is this to use en route to Montrose, with/without a trailer?

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page