Camping gear - Page 7 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 PM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

Over the years my camping gear has under gone many many changes.....From camping out under the stars with just a couple of old blankets, and a small pot, to make coffee in, a frying pan, a knife, fork, and a spoon, to at one time a 37ft motorhome.....Now I do have a large tent, and all the bells and whistles, but this is a pack the Jeep and go camping for a week or more...My latest addition is the motorcycle pop up camper that 93 Wing was gracious enough to give me....All my other gear was too heavy for this trailer,so off to Wal Mart and we bought all light weight, but good camping gear....So I have as the need arises both long term camping gear and also gear for motorcycle camping....And yes I have on one or two occasions, pulled over in a rest area and made a concrete table my bed, but no more too much bad stuff going on....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 02:50 PM

Year: Formerly, the rider known as DavidMB & David in the Woods
Model: 2006
Post imported post

Well, it appears that it has beena whilesince a post was made here, but, being a new member with some significant amount of prior experience, I would like to add my two cents worth!

As Rabbit said above, "Backpacking equipment";[/b] and GLester said, "You don't have to go expensive"; [/b]but that said, you do have to factor in the adage: you get what you pay for. So a modest blend of the two started me off on what I consider the right foot! Back last century ... actually the last millennium, I believe, when I started back in '71. It was a really good year. One of many.

You have just so much hauling capacity on 2 wheels, so backpacking equipment fit the bill quite nicely, being light and compact. I was still in the Navy then, had my first bike, a first year 1971 Honda 500-4 with a sissy bar behind the seat to give my wife a modicum of security (haha … it served us well). That sissy bar served as a lashing point for a sea bag sitting on the fender above the rear light. And we did as most anyone would do … we crammed every imaginable thing that we could possibly cram into that bag … after all, it is all too easy to imagine you will need so much more than you actually do.

Our choice of sleeping bags[/b] at that time was a couple of big/huge, green Coleman bags with a cotton duck outer shell and flannel inner liner with “Field & Stream” type print. As someone above mentioned, zip it up if it is cold enough, or lay on top with a sheet or nothing if warm enough. The bags weighed as much as any sleeping bag has ever weighed, but the built-in cover could be used, with judicious kneeling and sitting to compress pretty well. With these aforementioned good attributes, the absolutely most important feature of these bags was that they zipped together to make one big bed that covered the whole floor and promoted the togetherness aspect quite well. Motorcycling and camping can be done solo, but it is most enjoyable to share it with someone special, and the more togetherness you can facilitate, the better!

It has been 39 years since I got those bags and they are reverently packed away some place. I could not bear to part with such fine friends that served me so well, but today (for past 15 years), I use a pair of “Slumber Jack” modified mummy bags[/b] from Campmor … they are a bit more roomy than a regular mummy bag, have a nylon shell and synthetic fill, and I carry a twin-bed sized sheet; and these new bags have that most important feature of all … they zip together! Or, as it said in the literature at the time, getting a “left hand” bag & a “right hand” bag, they will mate.

In 1971, I got a little blue & white Coleman tent[/b] with about a 5'x7' floor with walls that tapered to aslightly smaller ceiling that was porous & had a zippered vent/window going straight up (that's right ... no view with the fly on). It was tall enough to allow you to sit up comfortably and the fly was just large enough to cover the small roof/ceiling. All this said to come to the point that the size of the fly does not necessarily matter ... it did its job to keep the little venting top dry, and the side walls of the tent were waterproof. I loved that little tent, and I do not understand why it is not still available. It was very light for its size, had just one sectional aluminum pole at each end that supported a 3 piece fiberglass rod arrangement that held the top in its rectilinear shape. I loved it so much; I loved it to death with washer and dryer actions. There are words of wisdom regarding this type of abuse to your equipment above from one of our other forum members; but I was ignorant of that aspect at the time.

For a number of years I have had a newer nylon Hillary Tent[/b] from Sears that was priced right, and was a desirable size and shape to accommodate my needs.

Somewhere above, another member mentioned keeping the cooking simple, fix some coffee (an old 4 cup aluminum dripalator), and head for the nearest McDonald’s (or any place that serves breakfast). One of my most prized camping possessions is a small brass Svea stove that uses white gas/Coleman fuel and is nestled in a combination stove holder/cooking pot/case. It is simple, efficient, somewhat loud, but utterly dependable. I try to limit most of my cooking to reconstituting food with boiling water, such as a multitude of backpacking entrées , but also staples such as grits and oats. This is simple, water is available most places, and clean-up amounts to no more than cooling and drying the pot! I got the little Svea stove (that is almost like an early 20[suP]th[/suP] Century blow torch), in 1971, the same place as my little Coleman tent … I am pretty sure that it was a Campmor outlet on the Western end of Virginia Beach Blvd., in Virginia Beach, Virginia … just down and across the road from the Honda Shop, near the Pembroke Mall. I wonder if any of those places are still there?

Ride safe, but have fun!!!
Warp Factor 9, Mr. Sulu!!!

Previous Bikes Include:
\'71 Honda 500-4
\'76 GL1000
\'76 CB750 (red)
\'84 GL1200 Asp
\'76 CB750 (Blue)
\'89 GL1500
\'85 Honda 185 XL (Current)
\'01 Roadstar 1300
\'06 GL1800 Navi (Current)

Darksider #1145
post #63 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 03:36 PM

Post imported post

We have a 10'X20' three room cabin tent with a double sized mattress. We use our fishing chairs and take just about everything including two coffee pots. One for regular and one for unleaded. It’s all in a trailer we pull and it’s a good time. We use propane and stop somewhere to get firewood if we plan on more than a night. Sometimes it IS just a night. Like on our way home, but, and then once in a while, it’s a motel seven too. Sometimes you just GOTTA get a GOOD nights sleep to "go the distance" I love movie quotes in a sentence. My twins got me doing that

If I had know grankids were this much fun, I would have had them FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Year: 1996
Make: Aspencade
Model: 1996 Aspencade with a Friendship 3 sidecar & 1994 Special Edition
Garage
Post imported post

A chair! I can almost sleep anywhere if I have to, but I need to be able to sit in a real chair. I've got a bad back and tin knees and picnic tables and tree stumps just don't do it for me.
I use a GCI Pico. It fits nicely on the luggage rack and gives me a full sized REAL chair. I hate those stupid umbrella things, and the Kermit is just too tiny for me to get up out of it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pico.jpg (54.3 KB, 319 views)

SidecarMike
A motorcycle is like a cast iron skillet, it mellows with age, wash it and you destroy years of seasoning!
The Mistress, 1996 Aspencade & Sidecar 1997 Valkyrie, the Borderline Outlaw
post #65 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:53 AM

Post imported post

SidecarMike wrote:
Quote:
A chair! I can almost sleep anywhere if I have to, but I need to be able to sit in a real chair. I've got a bad back and tin knees and picnic tables and tree stumps just don't do it for me.
I use a GCI Pico. It fits nicely on the luggage rack and gives me a full sized REAL chair. I hate those stupid umbrella things, and the Kermit is just too tiny for me to get up out of it.

I've had back surgery and the knees are somewhat not there so the chairs we use are a rather rugged one the wife got at wally world. Very sturdy and built well. Not a cheap ol plop down chair. These have a latch built into them and keep their shape and design rather nicely.

If I had know grankids were this much fun, I would have had them FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!
post #66 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:39 PM

Post imported post

Now that I have a wing and trailor camping is going to be good. I did an oregon to florida and back trip on my zrx1200. I had a least 150lbs of gear and tools. Just soft ,tail and tank bag. I agree about the largest tent possible. And a nice air mattress. And all of my flyfishing gear. I am planning a trip as soon as I get my timing belts changed. I always carry a single burner camp stove and my french press. There is something about making a fine cup of coffie any where any time.........

USS America
Patriot Guard Riders
First bike : 1967 Kawi 175. 17hp, rotory gearbox.
Kawi tripples: 250,350,400,500,750.
1973 Jawa 402 ISDT
04 Kawi zrx-1200
"Second gear, weight forward, full throttle, dump the clutch". Quote 1974 CZ-400 rider.
post #67 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:09 PM

Model: GL1000
Post imported post

Bike Camping List
(Not-Trailering Bike)

Bike Items:
____� Spare fuses
____� Chain lube
____� Tool Kit
____� Map (US & Texas)
____� Rags
____� Tire Plug Kit
____� Can of Tire Seal
____� Motorcycle Cover

The Basics:
____� Driver�s License
____� Wallet and Cash
____� Traveler�s Checks
____� Credit and Telephone Cards
____� Health and Bike Insurance Cards
____� Emergency contact information (Palm)

Clothing:
____� Rain Gear
____� Leather Jacket/Joe Rocket
____� Chaps
____� Helmet
____� Cold Weather/Warm Weather riding gloves
____� Tennis shoes
____� Riding boots
____� Shirts (T-shirt or long sleeve)
____� Jeans
____� Underwear
____� Thermal Underwear
____� Socks
____� Belt
____� Dew Rags/Bandanas

Personal:
____� Soap and container
____� Toilet paper
____� Medicines/Prescriptions/Antacids/Tylenol/Ibuprofen
____� Vitamins
____� Shampoo
____� Comb and brush
____� Toothbrush, toothpaste
____� Sun screen
____� Small towel and washcloth
____� Deodorant
____� Ear Plugs
____� Extra pair of glasses/contacts/solution
____� Sunglasses/Reading Glasses
____� Polysporin
____� Lip Balm (For dry, hot rides)
____� Vaseline (For nose bleeds on dry, hot rides)

Camping Equipment:
____� Sleeping bag (plastic bag to wrap in)
____� Sleeping pad
____� Tent/stakes
____� Tent stake hammer
____� Pillow/Inflatable pillow
____� Ground cloth/Tarp
____� Micro-Stove (Fill with fuel)/Water pot/Coffee Cup/Coffee Singles/Tea Singles
____� Matches/Bic lighter
____� Insect repellent
____� Small first aid kit/bandaids
____� Swiss knife/Bucklite Tool/Leatherman
____� Small Wisk Broom
____� Small Rope
____� Duct Tape

Other Useful Items:
____� Flashlight/Batteries
____� Sealable plastic bags
____� Trioxane fire starters
____� Beef jerkey
____� Nutri-Bars/Breakfast bars
____� Non-perishable snacks/Gum
____� Bottled Water
____� Camera/Film
____� Gimme Cap/Biker Cowboy Hat

Reminders:
____� Check Motorcycle oil, fluid levels and tire pressure
____� Contact/Email others that you will be gone

Additional Items:

Think of your own "necessities" here.

1978 Honda GL1000

DirtRoadCowboy.com
post #68 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM

Model: GL1000
Post imported post

Bike Camping List
(Trailering Bike)

Bike Items:
____� Spare fuses
____� Chain lube
____� Tool Kit
____� Map (US & Texas)
____� Rags
____� Tire Plug Kit
____� Can of Tire Seal
____� Motorcycle Cover

The Basics:
____� Driver�s License
____� Wallet and Cash
____� Traveler�s Checks
____� Credit and Telephone Cards
____� Health and Bike Insurance Cards
____� Emergency contact information (Palm)

Clothing:
____� Rain Gear
____� Leather Jacket/Joe Rocket
____� Chaps
____� Helmet
____� Cold Weather/Warm Weather riding gloves
____� Tennis shoes
____� Riding boots
____� Shirts (T-shirt or long sleeve)
____� Jeans
____� Underwear
____� Thermal Underwear
____� Socks
____� Belt
____� Dew Rags/Bandanas

Personal:
____� Soap and container
____� Toilet paper
____� Medicines/Prescriptions/Antacids/Tylenol/Ibuprofen
____� Vitamins
____� Shampoo
____� Comb and brush
____� Toothbrush, toothpaste
____� Sun screen
____� Small towel and washcloth
____� Deodorant
____� Ear Plugs
____� Extra pair of glasses/contacts/solution
____� Sunglasses/Reading Glasses
____� Polysporin
____� Lip Balm (For dry, hot rides)
____� Vaseline (For nose bleeds on dry, hot rides)

Camping Equipment:
____� Sleeping bag (plastic bag to wrap in)
____� Sleeping pad
____� Tent/stakes
____� Tent stake hammer
____� Pillow/Inflatable pillow
____� Ground cloth/Tarp
____� Micro-Stove (Fill with fuel)/Water pot/Coffee Cup/Coffee Singles/Tea Singles
____� Matches/Bic lighter
____� Insect repellent
____� Small first aid kit/bandaids
____� Swiss knife/Bucklite Tool/Leatherman
____� Small Wisk Broom
____� Small Rope
____� Duct Tape

Other Useful Items:
____� Flashlight/Batteries
____� Sealable plastic bags
____� Trioxane fire starters
____� Beef jerkey
____� Nutri-Bars/Breakfast bars
____� Non-perishable snacks/Gum
____� Bottled Water
____� Camera/Film
____� Gimme Cap/Biker Cowboy Hat
____� Extra Portable CB/Electronic devices
____� Firewood
____� Cooler w/ice
____� Drinks/Snacks for cooler
____� Gasoline Can w/gas

Reminders:
____� Check Motorcycle oil, fluid levels and tire pressure/Check fluids on Vehicle
____� Contact/Email others that you will be gone

Additional Items:
Add your own personal "necessities" here.

1978 Honda GL1000

DirtRoadCowboy.com
post #69 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:34 PM

Year: Formerly, the rider known as DavidMB & David in the Woods
Model: 2006
Post imported post

If Trailering, how about?:
Other Useful Items:
____� Check Trailer Tires
____� Check Safety Chains
____� Trailer Registration current & in tow vehicle
____� Check tie-down straps and have adequate number
____� Check Trailer Lights
____� Trash bags to facilitate trash collection

Ride safe, but have fun!!!
Warp Factor 9, Mr. Sulu!!!

Previous Bikes Include:
\'71 Honda 500-4
\'76 GL1000
\'76 CB750 (red)
\'84 GL1200 Asp
\'76 CB750 (Blue)
\'89 GL1500
\'85 Honda 185 XL (Current)
\'01 Roadstar 1300
\'06 GL1800 Navi (Current)

Darksider #1145
post #70 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

vtxcandyred wrote:
Quote:
SidecarMike wrote:
Quote:

I've had back surgery and the knees are somewhat not there so the chairs we use are a rather rugged one the wife got at wally world. Very sturdy and built well. Not a cheap ol plop down chair. These have a latch built into them and keep their shape and design rather nicely.

Like Mike, I have badkneesafter 35+ years of carrying a mail satchel around and backpacking. Ialso had a bad motorcycle wreck when I was 19, leaving me with a back problem where I need a chair with back support. A log, large stone, or even a picnic table just doesn't provide the back supportI require

Always was interested in the Kermit Touring Chair, but hated the thought of paying that much for a chair and with my bad knees, an extra $40 for the leg extensions.

On a lot of backpacking motorcycle camping forums, there was a lot of talk/discussion about the Pico chair, which folded pretty compact and had a lower price. I saw/ordered the Pico chair when I saw it for a good price($79), but just after I 'unwrapped' it, I promptly broke it when I tried closing it up (darned plastic!! )

So, I saw on another forum I frequent,that Tom, maker of the Kermit Chair, was making a special edition run of their chairs with an extra 2" width,dubbed the 'Wide Boy' chair(not on their web site)and thought that size would be great for me to use while I was wearing my armoured riding pants.

I was still very disillusioned with the Pico Chair breaking so easily and I was needing a chair that packed smaller than the chair I was currently using, so I 'bit the bullet' andordered one.

I picked it up last week and am totally impressed with the packed size andwith the quality/workmanship. NO plastic in sight anywhere!

Here is what it looks like packed up in comparison to my present chair, which is 35" long and heavy/bulky ...

Unpacked components .....

The 'Leg Extensions', which raise the seat height up to 17" ....

In one minute(less time with more 'practice'), this is what it looks like set up and with the leg extensions on ...

without the leg extensions, the seat height is just 11" ....

the leg and back supports swivel, which makes it easy to carry around when the chair is folded up ....

Sometimes ... you just have to bite the dollar bullet to get what you want!

Dusty ... self admitted 'Gear *****'

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page