1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 11:07 PM

Garage
Post imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Like Mike, I have badkneesafter 35+ years of carrying a mail satchel around and backpacking. Ialso had a bad motorcycle wreck when I was 19, leaving me with a back problem where I need a chair with back support. A log, large stone, or even a picnic table just doesn't provide the back supportI require

Always was interested in the Kermit Touring Chair, but hated the thought of paying that much for a chair and with my bad knees, an extra $40 for the leg extensions.

On a lot of backpacking motorcycle camping forums, there was a lot of talk/discussion about the Pico chair, which folded pretty compact and had a lower price. I saw/ordered the Pico chair when I saw it for a good price($79), but just after I 'unwrapped' it, I promptly broke it when I tried closing it up (darned plastic!! )

So, I saw on another forum I frequent,that Tom, maker of the Kermit Chair, was making a special edition run of their chairs with an extra 2" width,dubbed the 'Wide Boy' chair(not on their web site)and thought that size would be great for me to use while I was wearing my armoured riding pants.

I was still very disillusioned with the Pico Chair breaking so easily and I was needing a chair that packed smaller than the chair I was currently using, so I 'bit the bullet' andordered one.

I picked it up last week and am totally impressed with the packed size andwith the quality/workmanship. NO plastic in sight anywhere!

Here is what it looks like packed up in comparison to my present chair, which is 35" long and heavy/bulky ...

Unpacked components .....

The 'Leg Extensions', which raise the seat height up to 17" ....

In one minute(less time with more 'practice'), this is what it looks like set up and with the leg extensions on ...

without the leg extensions, the seat height is just 11" ....

the leg and back supports swivel, which makes it easy to carry around when the chair is folded up ....

Sometimes ... you just have to bite the dollar bullet to get what you want!

Dusty ... self admitted 'Gear *****'

Thanks for the pics Dusty, I really like how small it packs up. I had not seen a good comparison picture like the one you posted.

I will see how the PICO I got holds up. I may still end up ordering one of these Kermits anyways. I like it and it looks very sturdy as well.

ESSAYONS!!!
Darksider #1288
Previously Owned:
\'70 Honda 50 mini trail bike
\'75 Can Am 175 TNT
\'77 Yamaha XS750
\'77 Kawasaki KE250
\'88 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
\'83 Honda VT750 Shadow
\'89 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
\'02 Honda GL1800 (current ride)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Kermit and the like chairs are nice, but pricey.....and bulky to pack....

Red and I travel exclusively two-up, which means we pack everything twice ... and without a trailer! For years and years we've gotten along with a couple of foam/strap camp chairs/backrests.... Can't even remember the brand name, and I think we paid about $20 each on special.... They weigh about a pound, and they can double up as sleeping pads. They turn campground pic-nic tables into luxurious pieces of furniture, and they are excellent inside our 4-person Eureka tent during a blow....

They are obviously not as comfortable as the Kermit, or as easy to get in or out of, but they ain't bad...ain't bad....just another option.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misc 021.jpg (36.3 KB, 167 views)

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #73 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

I've used a similar , lighter weight, more compactversion of those, where you tuck your inflatable pad(either blow up, or self inflator) inside it. Good support for the back and at a picnic table, but there isn't always a table to sit on where I camp at times, so it's too hard on the knees getting up out of it. (Too many trail miles on my knees)

Here it is in use, where I'm sitting on an edge ofthis high cliff,

admiring the views.

Now that I have the Kermit Chair, I can set that up inside my tent and use it for getting into my riding gear, or for sitting out a blow, (although I prefer to sit out under my tarp for that) or for draping my clothing over, instead of on the floor. The Kermit Chair packs up about the size of a large Thermarest sleeping pad. and is a lot easier on the knees for getting out of. Space isn't at such a premium as it is for those who have bikes with less carrying capacity, ride two up, or both.

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Post imported post

Just read some of your ideas.Thanks!!! Plan on putting several to use! Ride Safe!!
tech256

James M Garrett

"Some of the best people you\'ll meet is on a Goldwing"
post #75 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 02:13 PM

Model: '82 GL1100, Going Naked
Hammock

Does anyone use one of those camping hammocks. They're made of nylon and very compact and light. Looks like you could even load your sleeping bag in there. If the absense of trees, perhaps you could put it on the gournd like a tarp?

Naked '82 1100 Standard
ABQ, NM
post #76 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
I have seen them used. When I purchased my 1500 and we were driving back from Ohio, we couldn't get a hotel room anywhere due to the power outages that they were having through out the area, so we just decided to drive through the night. at one point we stopped at a rest area that had covered picnic areas. There were several of these hammock looking things hanging from post to post. I thought at the time that they looked cool! stop anywhere and throw it up between 2 trees and go to sleep.

Thats true if I was 150 pounds like those we had seen. Ever see a 260 pound guy climb in one of those? only to be bent in half once inside............ Sadly, it didn't work for me. I like to toss and turn all night and in one of these, for me, there is one position....... kissing my knees all night.......... pretty sad sight actually.......

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #77 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 05:00 PM

Model: gl1200a 1984
hmm

new here and just bought my first wing , I love bike camping and always carry fishing gear just to break up the time ( don't stay on the road all day ) since I got the wing I started to build a trailer just to haul my kayak and camping gear ( no mountain gear here)
post #78 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 PM

Model: 2008
Some things I have collected (and used) over the years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water Filter-001.JPG (403.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Camp Stove-001.JPG (415.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Camp Stove-001_06.JPG (441.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Camp Stove-001_08.JPG (413.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Camp Stove-001_09.JPG (548.0 KB, 36 views)
post #79 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:38 AM

I found a small led trouble lamp its about 5 inches long and lights up the tent very well. Found it at Home Depot
post #80 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM

Year: 1985
Model: Aspencade
Here is a tent for you...and your Wing.
http://shop.redverz.com/tents/the-se...n-tent-yellow/

Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page