Goldwing Intercom to Starcom headset wiring - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hey all, If anybody is in the same boat as me, and has one bike with a starcom intercom, and a goldwing with its OEM intercom, heres how to use one headset with both:

*Buy yourself a normal size 5 pin DIN connector(male) to connect to the goldwing. I used ebay to find them-4 for 7euro ish.

*Buy a 6 pin Mini DIN connector(female) to connect to the starcom. I bought them from radionics.ie-stock number 463-423, approx 7eur for 5.

*Some heatshrink, and/or potting compound/silicone sealer to waterproof the whole thing.

*Wire-I used some thin single-core wire we have at work, any wire will be fine so long as its thin.

Using Steve's goldwing wiring layout here:

Solder5 wiresto the5 pin DIN plug.

Takethe wire coming from the no.3 position,cut it short and add a second wire to it, so there arenow 6 wires coming from the 5 pin DIN plug, 2 of which are coming from the no.3 position.

All 6 wires solder to the 6pin Mini DIN in the following order:

Number the mini din, looking at its connection face, one to six in clockwise order.

IE: 1 and 6 are opposite each other at the bottom with the key in between them.

*For anyone who works with DIN connectors, this is against common numbering practice-its just how i did it.

The mini din layout is as follows:

1/2 speaker

3/4 mic (3 is ground)

5/6 speaker.

(# refers to 5 pin din, 1 2 3 refers to mini din)

For ease, I soldered the split#3 wire ends to pos 1/6.

Then #4 to 5 and #5 to 2.

Mic ground #2 to 3.

Mic signal #1 to 4.

Once all the soldering is done, just pot/silicone the backs of the connectors to insulate/weather proof them, and cover with heatshrink to tidy it up.

Now that's it...you have an adapter lead to use the one helmet setup with both systems. I knowa picture would have told a thousand words, and if i get a chance I''ll improve on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:26 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

Good informative post ,I moved it to this forum ,,good work ,Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 02:39 PM

Model: GL1800
Send a message via Skype™ to wingnut
Post imported post

Well done James, I've hotlinked your post to the wiring layout picture.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Cheers lads
It was a job that was on my list of things to do for 4months
All thats left now is fork seals and a trip to Morocco.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Berth Send a message via MSN to Berth
Post imported post

Hi james

I have a similar problem of yours and I would like to ask you same clarification as follows.

I have in my hands the STARCOM headset GH006 (coming from my hold interphone system installed on my previous BMW K1200lt) and I would like to use it on my Goldwing interphone system.

The actual headset that I have is the J&M model HS-8154B-OF.but is not ofgood quality because the microfone is not working very well ; when i phone the other are not hearing me properly. So I would like to try one other headset; in this circunstance the GH006 a.m.

As you know the STARCOM headset has 6 wires instead the 5 wires and I intend to change the 6 pin mini DIN plug of the GH006 cable extension with a 5 pin DIN plug to be connected with the goldwing interphone socket.

I have asked to STARCOM explanation about theire wire diagram and they have submited to me the enclosed drawing ( new GH-000 specification of extension cable for connecting starcom headset with goldwing interphone socket)

Now the question is :

This wire diagram is quite different from what you post in this forum and for this reason I would like to take to your attention this matter in order to find out if there is somewere some mistake or may be I have made wrong interpretation of your post.

Would you please check ancomment?

Thank you very much for your attention.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GH-000 specification for Goldwing.jpg (44.7 KB, 542 views)

Berth
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Berth Send a message via MSN to Berth
Post imported post

Unfortunatelly the new extension cable as per enclosed picture made with 6 pin midi din socket and 5 pin din plug is not working during telephone conversation (the speakers are ok but the microphone not) The cable is working only using interphone sistem between driver and passenger but not using phone

Berth
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Berth,
Apologies for the huge delay in getting back to you on this.
As-is...my goldwing setup has only the speakers working. I had assumed the problem was with my microphone compatibility with the goldwing-but thats as far as i got with it. I know there's powered and unpowered microphones but havent delved deeper into it as i dont ever really require an intercom-just music.

As far as i can remember, I explored the starcom wiring by using some jumper wires, and a powered starcom unit with music playing....when 1/2 and 5/6 in my diagram were connected it was easy to decide which was left speaker and which was right speaker. One of those has to be ground, the other is signal power to the speaker. iirc it doesnt matter if they are reversed.

I've only started the Goldwing once in the last 12 months...if i get a chance soon I'll do some more research on it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:53 PM

Post imported post

I would like to have a cable for compatablitybetweenStarCom1 headsets and Goldwing headsets, like the GH-000 cable shown above

I have two different bikes and want to move between two communication systems, and use the same headset (I prefer the goldwing headset as that is the one I have)

I believe the mics on the StarCom1 headsets are electric and the Goldwing/Harley microphones are dynamic.

Did you have any luck with getting the mic to work?

Anyone have any thoughts ?

I thought of using the StarCom1 HONDA GOLDWING – Enhancement System as a stand alone system, one issue is the volume control , Or using StarCom1 Advance on the Goldwing, one issue isbeing able to continue to use the existing goldwing features like the handle bar controls for volume and FM radio station changing and Mute button and CB?

Does anyone know if there are other issues?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:50 PM

Post imported post

davidwsoftw

Welcometo this Great Site!
Pull up a chair and join on in!
Got a Technical question on your wing

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/
Got a General Motorcycle Question
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/
Most of all we're glad you joined and

look forward seeing you on the forums and on the road

Ride Safe, Ray

Working riding whenever we can. Wish I had more time to hang out with my goldwing family!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Newport

Year: 1983
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Send a message via Skype™ to Newport
Post imported post

I contacted a local Starcom dealer re the issue of the Starcom to Goldwing connector and he gave me information re the microphone not working when a crossoveras illustrated in your article isinstalled as I wanted to use my helmets with Starcom that I use on a BMW when I ride the '83 GL1100A that I am restoring.

My contacts advice is as follows:

In regard to the 83 Goldwing and using your existing Starcom fitted helmets, the wing requires a different type of Microphone to the StarCom so it just wont work sorry.

Wings run a dynamic microphone, StarCom1 runs an electret, and they wont work on the others system.

The wing requires a StarCom1 GH-004 or GH-006, and the mic in these wont work on the normal StarCom, only on the wing."

Damn pity about that as I will now have to raid the piggy bank again.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page