Dupli-Tech alternator conversion kit - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Old Broad

Year: 1995
Make: Yamaha Virago
Model: 1985 GL1200 I w/LTD body(SOLD :( )
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to fysty-1
Post imported post

james013168 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info westgl. Will that give me more power to run extra lights? I put light racks on back of my bike and two small driving lights on front but hooked them up to switchs so I can turn them on and off as I want.
James, you can also save a lot of power usage by converting to LED's. My light bars took 18 bulbs alone & I also have the stock turn lamps a 2 55w driving lamps. The extra alt. is a great thing to have. With mine, I will just disconnect the 3 yellow wires and if the add on alt gives up ghost, I'll nreconnect the yellow wires and be on my wat until I can get alt repaired. With the 1000 thro 1200 this is the only option if you want to run multiple lights. Good luck with your Baby, James:cool devil:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angela, aka fysty-1(R) & Dani(L), S.Surrey, B.C.
1985 Gold Wing GL1200 I(SOLD Apr/2012)
No matter how blue it may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky.
Blue is not the fastest color, but it is the prettiest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(women only)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:36 PM

Post imported post

If I had to redo my poorboy I would look very seriously at this one, due to the fact that I have an '84 standard. It's hanging out there looking ugly like this one (personally, I think this one looks better) and my mounting points for the upper portion of the alternator were much different than the interstate/aspencade so I had to utilize hose clamps and make my own "extension" out of a piece of angle iron. This looks like it would have been much easier on a naked bike.

Plus, I'm new here and had to find some place to make my first post so I could keep my account
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 AM

Post imported post

I see written:

when is comes to conversion kits. I chose the Dupli-Tech kit over the Poor Boy simply because the major moving parts are encased rather then in the open so to speak.

On the poorboy the moving parts are not "out in the open" they are a belt behind the radiator as on virtually all cars, and the alternator is behind the sidepanel.
Look at that alternator, all electrical and completely exposed. How will it cope with rain- especially being so low down. What do you do when the belt snaps- not quite the 10 min job on a poorboy I imagine. Sorry, but It looks awful....Steve

Steve W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 AM

Model: 2005 GL1800
Post imported post

Each to his own, I guess.

Sometimes the wisest person is dressed in the rudest clothing

ThroneTogether Recorders

__________________________________________________ ___________
Donn
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Old Broad

Year: 1995
Make: Yamaha Virago
Model: 1985 GL1200 I w/LTD body(SOLD :( )
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to fysty-1
Post imported post

Ditchbanker, welcom to the forum. Just for your info, you don'y have to post if you don't feel you have anything to contribute. There are hundreds of members here, that have been here for years that don't have any posts @ all. Most of those joined to have aquestion answered, to be able to access a piece of tech knowledge or to download a manual etc. This is the best there is out there & we are glad to have you. Even if you just browse. Ride safe & enjoy. Don't for get your Meds tho'.:cooldevi l:Ange la

Angela, aka fysty-1(R) & Dani(L), S.Surrey, B.C.
1985 Gold Wing GL1200 I(SOLD Apr/2012)
No matter how blue it may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky.
Blue is not the fastest color, but it is the prettiest.

(women only)
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Texas Boy

Year: 1996
Make: Honda
Model: 1996 GL1500 SE Pearl White
Post imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
Quote:
Guys. I wonder if your -comment would change if that unit was a supercharger instead of an altenator.

Now there's a mod I could sink my teeth into! Where can I get one?

Turtle
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:55 AM

Post imported post

Thank you wolfy for this information. This really puts my mind at ease. When I receive and install mine, I'll give you an update. This forum is great!!!!!!!!!
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 09:07 PM

Post imported post

Wolfy,

Did you receive a extended bracket with your kit? If so, which side did youuseit on?

Hawk48red
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 11:51 AM

Year: 1981
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: Gl 1100
Garage
Post imported post

Question,..... I've noticed the Dupli Tech conversions are mostly on 1200 and then noticed a conversion on an 1100,....... is this available for Both???Bob
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 04:54 PM

Model: 2005 GL1800
Post imported post

badorderbob2..............I think the Dupli-Tech kit is for the GL1200. You
might want to call them and talk to Marty about this.

http://www.dupli-tech.com/contactus.html

Second riding season on my Dupli-Tech conversion and doin' great. No
complaints or issues.

Sometimes the wisest person is dressed in the rudest clothing

ThroneTogether Recorders

__________________________________________________ ___________
Donn
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page