GL1100 Hondaline Fairing Cracked Out On Right Side? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1100 / GL1200
Post imported post

I was going to post this over on the Reference and FAQ forum because I have seen no reference to it here.

Season before last, I noticed a crack starting across the bottom of the right kneeplate of my Hondaline fairing, right about the time I noticed that it was shaking quite a bit more than I remembered.

I had recently done some work that involved taking the fairing loose from it's mounts, and figured I'd just forgotten to tighten up the mounting bolts. Checked it out, that wasn't it at all...In fact, I couldn't see any reason for it whatsoever.

There are alot of GL1100's in my area, and I started looking around at rides and rallies, and noticing that a fair majority of them were cracking out in the same place, but nobody seemed to know why. Caused me to assume that maybe after 25+ years, the palstic had just gotten weak and cracked out.

Did a quick epoxy with microballoons and fiberglass fiber repair to the inside, and all was right with the world again...for about 4000 miles, then the repair broke loose.

Pulled the fairing to do a more thorough repair and I found that the mount itself was loose. Ok, hit the visible bolts, all tight...but the mount still flopped around with little pressure. Finally chased the upper mounts to where they mount to the frame underneath the tank shell and found the nut in the picture below MISSING COMPLETELY.

Pulled the tank shell, replaced the nut with a nylon insert nut coated with purple Loc-Tite, fixed the fairing with some really heavy fiberglass cloth that I had from repairing a boat hull a few years back, and epoxy along the mount plate and rolled over to the inside...and all is right with the world again.

After that I started checking some of the bikes with the cracked out fairings that I still saw at rides and rallies, curling my fingers over the front of the tank shell and finding the end of the bolt...and no nut!

I've made it a point now that every time I get to talking to another gOldwinger, I mention this nut, and show them where it is. If it's still there, I recommend to them that they also replace the stock nut with at least a nylon insert nut the next time they're under the shell. If they don't want to do that, at LEAST put a wrench to it and make sure it's tight...It'll save your fairing!

Mike

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

Nice tip!!

I'll check mine tonight.. As to whether it belongs in the Reference and FAQ section is up to the admin/moderators. Members can post to existing threads in thatforum but cannot add new topics.. (which is as it should be IMO) SDB/Jim

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

Very good info for us that have older GW's. Definitly should go in the Reference and FAQ forum.

Michael
Too much chrome to polish, too little time!!
Have trailer, will travel!! Not all Wingers are old Wingers.

PGR member. Riding in memory of my father, Clyde D. Ward, USN. WWII

Myself, USN, Vietnam Vet. 68-72, 74-76
VF-194 aboard the USS. Oriskany
USS Saratoga, ships company

-----------------------------------
Bagmaster, our former forum Toolmaster and friend, is no longer with us. He passed away in February 2012.

The roads and byways, no matter how beautiful and exhilarating, are a lonelier place now. RIP Bagmaster (Baggy).
-----------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:58 PM

Post imported post

I just went out into the parking lot to check that mine is OK - it looks fine. I'll put a nylon nut on it (if I have one the right size), or loctite the one that's on there tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Read my
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 06:39 PM

Post imported post

Just had the shell off today to change the tach cable, run the wiring for an aux. power point and mount a GPS. Wish I'd read through this while I was having my coffee. At least it'll come apart easier this time. Thanks for the heads up!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 PM

Model: '02 1800
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruaidh
Post imported post

My first Wing was an '83i and it cracked in the same place. I wonder if it was caused by the same reason? (Wish I could follow-up with this investigation...)

To know what is right and not act accordingly is the worst cowardice. - Confucius

Words, unwritten, have no value. - Caius Merlinus Brittanicus

Yellow '02 1800
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I'd be willing to bet it was.

Mike

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 11:02 PM

Model: GL1500
Post imported post

The 82 I'm getting is cracked in that spot, I will check that nut when I get it home. Then try to do some fiberglass work!

Served 823rd RED HORSE Unit \'83-\'88 USAF
\'Semper Ducimus\'
Red Knights Alabama Chapter 2
"Loyal to our Duty"
PGR Alabama Div.

1983 CX500 Custom
1981 GL1100 Standard
1982 GL1100 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 LTD

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hope you caught it in time. If you have trouble finding heavy fiberglass cloth, give me a PM and I'll cut a swatch off the roll I have and send it to you.

Mike

Mike Kramer

Denis Waitley
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:06 AM
RB

Send a message via AIM to RB
Post imported post

UHmm one one of the bikes I sold had that..couldn't figure out why it was cracked as there were no signs of it being dropped otherwise..now I know.. Good info

1981 GL1100I Sold her..so sad!
1976 GL1000 Sulfur Yellow sold
1976 GL1000 RED rebuilt SOLD
1979 GL1000 parting out PM if you\'re looking for something
1975 sold
1978 sold
1981 sold
1982 sold
1982 sold
1983 A sold
1997 1500 SE SOLD
1999 1500 SE SOLD
1998 1500 SE..RIDING
FAIR WINDS,
RB
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page