Utopia Backrest, fitting to a GL1800 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800
Send a message via Skype™ to wingnut
Post imported post

This is the video of me fitting a Utopia backrest to a pre-2006 GL1800. Thearticle with pictures is in the post below this one.The procedure for fitting the backrest tothe later models with heated saddle is similar, you just need to be careful not to chop the wires or heaterelements in the saddle.

[media=320,256]http://homepage.eircom.net/~wingnut/Videos/backrestmedium.wmv[/media]

If you want to download the video tutorial instead of watching it here, right-click the linkbelow and "save-as" to a location on your computer. It's a13mb file so will take afew minutesto download.

Backrest fitting video tutorial (Windows WMV format). 4 minutes, 39 seconds playing time. 13.1mbs file size.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

[align=center]I've copied this (slightly edited) from part13 ofthe Bikers Workshop part of the site. You can download this actual forum page in pdf format by right-clicking the .pdf icon here and "save target (or link) as" to a location on your computer;

[/align]

First thing is to remove the saddle from the Goldwing, then turn it upside down and place the Utopia T bracket as shown. It's easy to centre the bracket, then just mark the saddle base through the two holes with a marker or better still a press the marks with a pointed awl or thin screwdriver (the drill bit won't slide off the mark this way).

----------------------------------------------------

Now drill the two holes with a 7mm drill bit. Be careful not to go right through the foam and out through the saddle cover as well! Honda charge big money for Goldwing saddles. I've highlighted the two holes in the second picture as they are hard to make out against the white foam inside the saddle.

Next thing is to stick the supplied plastic pad into it's correct position on the saddle. You have to centre it side to side as well as placing it 25mm (1") from the face of the riders back pad to the front edge of the plastic pad. To centre it really well, run a straight edge (thin piece of wood or a rule as shown) along the centre lines on the front and back flat (sitting) parts of the saddle cover. I ran a piece of tape across the middle of the plastic pad before sticking it in place under the steel rule. As you can see, this results in a properly positioned pad. The slot in the centre of the plastic pad is were you will be making your cut, this will be approximately 50mm (2") from the front face of the riders back pad.

Before taking your mothers best steak knife to the saddle, I think it's a good idea to slit the saddle cover with a sharp craft blade first, so that you get a very clean cut with no saw marks. Then get mothers best and cut into the foam at an angle similar to that shown in the second picture here. You have to go at this angle to get past the shallow pillion part of the base and down past the holes you drilled earlier. You need to go down at an angle so that the knife passes the "hump" or "ledge" in the seat base. Cutting straight down will see you having to pull the knife sideways to clear the hard plastic (I know, I've tried it that way) and this will stress the foam and cover. Going at the correct angle will see you cut right in front of and past the hump, right in front of where you drilled the holes (sight the angle before you cut). Get this right and the bar will slide down to the holes very sweetly with little effort. Cut up and down several times, removing some of the loose foam and making room for the backrest bar.

Insert the backrest bar as shown (ie the welded tube for the bolt at the front) and wiggle it downwards until the holes in the bar line up with the T bracket. In the second picture here you can see me using a screwdriver to line up one of the holes while threading the other bolt in loosely. Remove the screwdriver and put in the second bolt and tighten the two of them. The third picture shows the T bracket just before I tightened the bolts. Note the Velcro pad in the second picture, you need to pull off one half and put it aside for later.

Here is a couple of shots of the backrest bar fitted. You can take this opportunity to lift the plastic pad a bit and settling the saddle cover so that you don't have unsightly creases.

The first picture here shows the Velcro pad you saved earlier stuck onto the frame crossmember behind the relay box on the Goldwing. This apparently adds to the stability of the backrest. Ensure that no wires are draped across the top of the crossmember or they will be damaged by the T bar when you fit the seat, with possibly very interesting results!

You can see the actual backrest fitted to the bar in the first picture. I put a plastic washer under the bolt head and one under the nut as well to prevent them damaging the powder coated finish (no washers were supplied for this with my backrest). I also replaced the nut with a self locking one to prevent the backrest pad from flapping about after five minutes of use. The last picture shows the completed job, saddle fitted on the Goldwing.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Post imported post

I found the link to your video on another forum Steve and it's good to be able to say thanks to you personally. I've also sent you a PM but there is no need to reply as it looks like this place keeps you very busy.
The additional pictures in this thread are an added help to me.

I will tackle the job myself on Saturday and let you know how it goes.

Kevin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

All the best with it Kevin. The only hard part is the initial cut in the right place. Once that's done the rest is easy. You will need to run the knife through the foam a few times so as to remove enough foam for the bar to slide into place.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:53 PM

Post imported post

DONE!!!

2 hours it took me, much of that spent in procrastination. Once I took the plunge with the knife (pun intended), it was plain sailing.

The only problem after I had fitted the backrest was with the rubber bushes in the saddle mounting points. They kept falling out when I was refitting the saddle and at one point I lost one because I didn't see it rolling out of the garage and into the drive. My good lady found it and had a laugh. I have glued those bushes in place and that problem is now solved.

Thanks to your video Steve, I now have a backrest and a quick run later and I feel it was well worth doing this job. I would never have tackled this job without that video. The backrest would have gathered dust because my local Honda dealer woudln't fit it either, apparently they will only fit official Honda accessories.

Kevin.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:26 PM

Post imported post

Good one Kevin, maybe one day I'll take the plunge...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 05:19 PM

Post imported post

I glued the rubber bush things into my saddle same as you Kevin. Never had a problem with them falling out again.

Good work on the Utopia install, brave man for taking this on.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM

Post imported post

The video was a great help to me, thanks.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Post imported post

Great video and instruction page, thanks from me also.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:42 PM

Post imported post

Looks like that video and instructions are a big hit!

Kevin.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page