LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Gregarious Greeter

Model: GL 1800
Garage
Post imported post

eddiegrandma wrote:
Quote:
I am new to the form and need all the help I can get in getting comfortable on our new 08 GL1800.
Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

Yesterday is for memories!
Today is for making memories!
Tomorrow is a concept that does not exist!
What are you waiting for? ... Sam-n-Elaine
Just livin\' the dream!!!!!
Just another day in paradise!!!!!
Honor above all else!!!!!
Thank you Dylan Saunders for the layout of my greeting!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 PM

Post imported post

Question for "wrongway": I also had a long absense from bikes - 1948 - 2003. I've been riding a 2005 Boulevard C50 and I just bought a 2006 GL1800. The seating position is entirely different and with my 29" inseam I'm tippy-toed at stops. And I'm beginning to wonder if Ill ever be able to carry a passenger safely without being flat footed. What's your experience in this regard?

And speaking of passengers - how in the world do they mount and dismount?

Need all the help I can get!

Poth
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Post imported post

wrongway wrote:
Quote:
interesting to read all of that because I couldn't get comfortable on my 1500 but am having absolutely no issues on the 1800.

Maybe because I'm only 5'7" with a 28" inseam. I'm also finding the stock seat very comfortable for long days ass well.

I'm also 5'7 but 29" inseam and I find the 1800 perfect for me, handle bars, foot pigs and seat position are just right on this bike.

I can ride 350 to 500 miles a day with out feeling tired or getting monkey butt, not so on my previous bike a 95 1500 SE.

Walter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 03:44 PM

Post imported post

Think I solved the GL1800 seat misery problem--- Got an affordable solution, custom fit to my bottom and still have seat heater (gels don't like seat heaters)---

THE CRITICAL PROBLEM FOR MOST IS THE NARROW SURFACE ON A STOCK SEAT. It simply does not disperse the weight over a wide enough area like your sofa at home does. Seat foammay also not be deep enough.

The Solution for my 240# 66y.o. tender bottom--------------

1. Took my seat to the local car/boat upholstry guy. Based on Steve's ideas of moving the seatback, had him pull off the cover and move the drivers backpad 1.25 inchestoward the passenger seat ( this is easily done but the relocation of the heater panel -- glued on -- is tricky. Had to replace mine on the back panel).

2. Had the upolsterer place the seaton a sawhorse and sat on it. Then had him glue firm poly foam to widen the entire seat-- most, where it begins to narrow toward the front. I would sit on it periodically and direct the foam additions. This continued every few days until itwas wide enough to spread the weight over my entire bottom.

3. Added (2) 3/4 inch panels of #3 memory foam on top of thewidened driver's seat -- wrapping it around the front narrow section-- not just on the top surface but widening it between your thighs.

4. Put the cover back on (upolsterer may need to added longer side panels inthe driver's seat)

When done, custom heated comfort which looks almost stock!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 PM

Year: 1989
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500
Post imported post

Having thought about why my car is comfortable and the bike is not for the long haul I realized that much of your leg's weight is supported by the front edge of the car seat.

This effectively makes the front edge of the seat the fulcrum and your thigh bone a lever with the weight of your leg counterbalancing your butt. This takes some of the weight of your torso off your rear. In a car with an adjustable car seat I like the front edge of the seat up for this reason.

On the bike your leg is supported by your foot and your butt as there is no front edge under your thigh. So your butt supports your torso and 1/2 the weight of your thighs. More pressure on the delicate tush and tail bone.

I've seen some discussion in this thread about thigh support. That may be key if there is a practical way to add that to a bike. Thigh supports. Flip up, fold down. Just thinking out loud.

89 GL1500 111+K (not my 111+k, yet!)
86 Honda Elite 250 -3k miles

Past fun:
85 Suzuki 450
86 Honda VT 500
84 Interstate
1980 Panasonic Bicycle with 50 cc motor

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK, Jr. 1963
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page