NOT your normal SEAFOAM thread - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Post NOT your normal SEAFOAM thread

Ok, so it's another seafoam thread. However, there's so much debate and speculation about using seafoam in our oil so I went hunting.

Found the following on a kawasaki forum and the following is an email reply that a forum member received from seafoam and I thought it may be of interest.

SeaFoam Reply

Sea Foam is an OIL PRODUCT, not a chemical, so do not worry about any secondary affects.

Have you used Sea Foam in your fuel?, Read the attachments for more information.

If your bikes engine began to create enough residue to "STICK" part of your valve train, IT IS TIME TO GET THAT OLD OIL OUT OF THERE!

Yes, the Sea Foam cleans the old deteriorated oil back to liquid, but your crankcase oil will quickly make more residue, your oil has reached the end of its SERVICEABLE LIFE!

Change your oil, read the attachment I have given on CRANKCASE OIL, treat the NEW oil with Sea Foam at 1 1/2 ounces per quart of oil capacity, then MONITOR YOUR OIL and change it when it gets dirty.

Oil is still cheaper than an engine!

Thanks for using Sea Foam!

Attachments with the reply:

Attachment 1:

Sea Foam Motor Treatment used in Crankcase Oil
All Gasoline and Diesel, Rotary style engines

Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a Blended Petroleum Product, NOT A CHEMICAL and is widely used as an old oil residue cleaner and moisture drier in any oil crankcase.

Sea Foam Motor Treatment is most commonly used as a pre service, old oil residue re-liquefier / cleaner and moisture drier, and is also used as an after service additive. Sea Foam Motor Treatment does NOT add significantly to oil volume, so removing oil is NOT required for use, when used according to printed directions on the product container.

1. As a PRE SERVICE CLEANER for old oil residue, (sticky rings or valve train noise), pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the engine oil crankcase for EACH quart of crankcase oil capacity including filter. (Diesels use 1 pint Sea Foam to 4 gallons of oil, please.) Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 100 miles, and then do your oil change service (LOF). This is the process of safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. This also makes your old oil dirtier, quickly, so a LOF service is necessary when the oil gets dirty. Great for Turbocharged & Supercharged applications where hot oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, and leaves those residues that NEED CLEANING. (LOF = Lube oil & Filter service = OIL CHANGE).

2. As an AFTER SERVICE ADDITIVE into fresh oil, nearly fresh oil, or oil (used condition) that is NOT ready to be changed (by mileage), put 1 ½ ounces Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the crankcase per quart of capacity as described above, then SELF SET a program to MONITOR your oil for level, color and clarity on a mileage, timed, or event basis (like every time you add fuel, etc.) to determine when an oil service is necessary. (LOF) When the oil gets dirty, CHANGE IT!

Sea Foam Motor Treatment will safely and slowly re liquefy old oil residue, This will make your oil need changing BEFORE your normal scheduled LOF service. Only your monitoring of the oil for color and clarity can tell when it is time to do LOF - oil change service, or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Synthetic oils, both blends and 100%, were engineered and are manufactured to be 100% compatible with petroleum based oils, all brands, and vice/versa. Without compatibility, oil manufacturers and engineers would be liable for the results of mixing non-compatible lubricants.

Check your oil; monitor its level, color & clarity to determine need for LOF service!
Change your oil when it gets dirty!

Technical Services Department May 2008 DD
Sea Foam Sales Company

Attachment 2:

Sea Foam Uses in Fuels

Sea Foam Motor Treatment #’s SF-16 (16 ounce), SF-128 (gallon container) and
SF-55 (a 55 gallon drum) is used as a fuel additive in Gasoline, Ethanol Blends, Gas/oil mixes & ALL Diesel fuels. This includes all brands and qualities of available fuels.

When added to these fuels, Sea Foam Motor Treatment was specifically designed to Safely do five (5) simple tasks for you. They are:

1. Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a 100% blended petroleum product. That means Sea Foam is OIL, so adding Sea Foam to ANY fuel, adds lubricity to Fuel systems, Induction systems (Including Drawn through Supercharged applications), upper cylinders, fuel pumps, and related fuel system & Exhaust (Turbocharged) components.
All fuels lack “Protecting” lubrication, Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

2. Sea Foam Motor Treatment contains an oil component that dries fuel system moisture. Moisture breaks down into its basic components of hydrogen and oxygen when Sea Foam Motor Treatment is added to any of the above listed fuels, allowing Sea Foam Motor Treatment to help eliminate problems caused by moisture, like diesel fuel gelling and poor run .Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

3. Sea Foam Motor Treatment contains an oil based high detergent fuel residue cleaner. Using Sea Foam Motor Treatment in your fuel system makes that old fuel residue safely back into liquid. Moisture becomes a “non issue” and allows contaminants to be filtered, as engineered by the manufacturer.
Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

4. Sea Foam Motor Treatments exclusive formula is blended specifically to clean carbon out of the engine as the engine is run. This is accomplished by our cleaning oil formula eliminating old sticky oil residue that holds carbon and allowing that carbon to flow out of the engine dust particle by dust particle. Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

5. Sea Foam Motor Treatment adds volatility to fuel and slows down the rate at which that fuel looses its ability to properly burn. When added to fuel and the fuel is in properly sealed containers or fuel systems, per printed container instructions, Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a fuel stabilizer for up to 2 years. Always run the engine for a long enough period of time to assure the entire system is protected.
Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

Technical Services Department
Sea Foam Sales Company

Updated May, 2008 DD

Last Attachment:

Sea Foam Amounts in Fuel

4 Cycle Type Engines
Diesel
Rotary (Wankel)
2 Cycle type Engines

Sea Foam Products recommends an average of 1 ounce Sea Foam Motor Treatment to each gallon of Gasoline (including 10% & 15% ethanol) and Diesel fuel (including low sulfur & Ultra Low Sulfur blends). With any vehicle or system FACTORY DESIGNED for E-85 fuel, use 2 ounces Sea foam per gallon of the fuel.

Parameters are: 1 – 16 ounce can of Sea Foam Motor Treatment to a MINIMUM of 8 gallons of fuel, Maximum 25 gallons fuel to a 16 ounce can for maintenance. Follow the instructions above for OIL INJECTED engines also. (NO Sea Foam Motor Treatment ever goes into the oil reserve tank for oil injection).

***For all gas/oil mixed fuels (2 cycle) and E-85 Ethanol to be used in systems NOT specifically factory designed for E-85 fuels, DOUBLE the amount of Sea Foam Motor Treatment used per gallon.

Sea Foam Motor Treatment is blended OIL, and will not run a gasoline, Gas/oil mix or Ethanol engine without introducing HYDROCARBONS (gasoline / ethanol) to the mixture at a minimum 50%.

Fuel injector cleaning machines in a controlled environment use Sea Foam Motor Treatment as their safe Cleaning agent mixed with gasoline or ethanol blend at a ratio of 50% Gasoline/Ethanol blend & 50% Sea Foam Motor Treatment.

Technical Services Department
Sea Foam Sales Company
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Greg (wrongway) and Bonnie
Currently looking to buy a GL1800 Spring 2018. Looking for 2001-2012 depending on condition, miles etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

it said nothing about sea foam in a GPS

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

wexy wrote:
Quote:
it said nothing about sea foam in a GPS
LMAO..............whateverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Just go and polish those "rabbit alerts".

Currently looking to buy a GL1800 Spring 2018. Looking for 2001-2012 depending on condition, miles etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:43 AM

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: 85 Aspencade
Post imported post

Just in case your GPS sends you to the wrong place a little more info is always good

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/

And who wouldnt want MMO wall paper for your desktop Brrrrr...

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/inde...etail?cat_id=1
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

Don't pay any attention to these other yahoos:P:P, wrongway. They only know how to play with GPS's and rabbit alerts!

I'd suggest this be made a sticky in the Reference and FAQ section.

Michael
Too much chrome to polish, too little time!!
Have trailer, will travel!! Not all Wingers are old Wingers.

PGR member. Riding in memory of my father, Clyde D. Ward, USN. WWII

Myself, USN, Vietnam Vet. 68-72, 74-76
VF-194 aboard the USS. Oriskany
USS Saratoga, ships company

-----------------------------------
Bagmaster, our former forum Toolmaster and friend, is no longer with us. He passed away in February 2012.

The roads and byways, no matter how beautiful and exhilarating, are a lonelier place now. RIP Bagmaster (Baggy).
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Quote:
Don't pay any attention to these other yahoos:P:P, wrongway. They only know how to play with GPS's and rabbit alerts!

Did you ever get that rear tire replaced??? I remember when you pulled out of the Country Inn parking lot in Calhoun it was pretty soft.

Just curious is all.

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 AM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

Well guys my GPS sets behind me with a trusty Texas state map..One of those new plastic enclosed ones....A gloved fist in case I make a wrong turn....Of course sometimes a wrong turn has turned into a great ride.....

Claude....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

wrongway wrote:
Quote:
Bagmaster wrote:
Quote:

Did you ever get that rear tire replaced??? I remember when you pulled out of the Country Inn parking lot in Calhoun it was pretty soft.

Just curious is all.
Oh, yea!!! Got a new E-III on the back of it last week, finally.

Michael
Too much chrome to polish, too little time!!
Have trailer, will travel!! Not all Wingers are old Wingers.

PGR member. Riding in memory of my father, Clyde D. Ward, USN. WWII

Myself, USN, Vietnam Vet. 68-72, 74-76
VF-194 aboard the USS. Oriskany
USS Saratoga, ships company

Bagmaster, our former forum Toolmaster and friend, is no longer with us. He passed away in February 2012.

The roads and byways, no matter how beautiful and exhilarating, are a lonelier place now. RIP Bagmaster (Baggy).
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 AM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

I wonder if it would be safe to use seafoam on a wet clutch crankcase anyone used it?
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

William_86 wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if it would be safe to use seafoam on a wet clutch crankcase anyone used it?
I guess that's what shocked me is that the Kawasaki guys are using it and that's where I got the information from.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page