LTD/SEi Specialized Parts Availability - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 PM

Post imported post

Hi Paul, I also have a flat spot off idle. When I take off it hesitates and sometimes I even get a cough out of it. Did your ever have that little hicuup? Funny thing is it is only from a take off. I can be in a higher gear just idleing along and gun it and it has no flat spot at all? Anyone with any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Model: 2018 White Goldwing DCT Tour
Post imported post

csmithrc wrote:
Quote:
Hi Paul, I also have a flat spot off idle. When I take off it hesitates and sometimes I even get a cough out of it. Did your ever have that little hicuup? Funny thing is it is only from a take off. I can be in a higher gear just idleing along and gun it and it has no flat spot at all? Anyone with any ideas?
I am not sure, but what you are describing sounds like the 'classic' hesitation problem the LTD/SEis all have. Mine does what you describe even after it is now 'fixed' - if you crack the trottle with a light load I sometimes get that hesitation for a split second. I don't usually get a cough out of it, but it has happened. I think Bob's explanation was correct - I don't think the FI system can react fast enough under those conditions and it takes it a split second to respond.

I think when you put it in a higher gear and then roll on the throttle you are unkowingly twisting the throttle more which gets past the small throttle opening where the problem occurs.

If what you are describing is the hesitation that they all have, then it is not a bother to me. It is just a minor thing and never affected the driveability of the wing. The other hesitation that I finally fixed on mine was more of a 'bog' where the thing would just lose power for a second or more (which is actuallya long time) and then 'catch' again. It was more than annoying - it was dangerous. I am glad I was finally able to fix it.

The trouble is, unless we could all ride each others wings, we don't know if you problem is the problem they all have or if it is something weird like I had with mine.

There were many times I wished I could have got Bob on an jet from Oregon to Ohio to help me with mine.

If your problem is severe, then you will have to start troubleshooting. The best thing to do is to search this board for anything related to the LTD/SEis and you will find bits and pieces of info to help you.

I would probably startby checking the TPS - if ithas a 'dropout'it can cause a big flat spot. Mine hadone and that was part of my hesitation problem. Beyond that, it takes a lot of trial and error unless you are gettng theFuel System Warning light and/or LEDslit on the ECU.

Paul from Ohio
2010 GL1800 ABS Metallic Red
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Model: 1985 1200 LTD
Post imported post

I own one of Honda orphans with wire from the planet of the apes.It is a 26 year old motorcycle and has it quirks and it is fuel injected but if that is all you can afford you go with that.I have had this bike for just over a year and had to repair and clean and replace stuff due neglect from the former owner.With all this work I found out that the 1200 is a very good bike and it actually had real chrome on it.Does your 1500 have real chrome on it much and has your exaust rusted and frame cracked ? I bet if you put your 1500 up against a LTD or SEI most likely give that 1500 a hard time with it's planet of the apes wiring.I would like to know how many in the forum work on their own bike instead of having Honda work on it for them?Now for all those people that want to bash peoples bikes a very wise and smart man told me something years ago and it goes like this ANYTHING MAN MAKES WILL GIVE TROUBLE and that man was my dad one of the best mechanics around and as I get older what he said is very true and every Goldwing made had problems and recalls you can buy a brand new Goldwing straight off the show room floor and it will give problems.It could have been built on a Monday after a Japaneese Holiday weekend and the guy building it had to much Socki and partied all weekend long can not blame it on the Americans any more Honda the ball is in your court now I just hope you don't screw up a good thing.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page