Koxx4, Keys & Locks Guru - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Lock and Key Guru

Post imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if this is the correct way to fix a jammed/gummy lock as recommended by a master locksmith, but...

I have twice rescued a lock on my 1100. One was the tank lock, which got extremely stiff, and one was a helmet lock, which would unlock, but would then refuse to give up the key until you spent a minute or two wiggling it.

In both cases, I first shoved the plastic tube from a can of brake cleaner into the lock, and hosed it down, cleaning all the gunk and grime out of the lock.

Next, I did the same with a can of graphite lubricant. This is black stuff that comes in a spray can, but the carrier is extremely volatile and evaporates within seconds, leaving behind a thin coating of dry graphite, which is very slippery. You have to be careful with this stuff, because it is BLACK, and if you get it anywhere you don't want it to go, that place will be BLACK as well.

In both cases, it made the locks function as good as new.
Using the brake cleaner could be a problem as some of the locks have plastic parts in them and this could melt or weaken them.

However the graphite is a first class lubricant and has been used for yearsto ease stiff locks. It is only in the last few years that other products have been used. Most lock manufacturersnow recommend WD40 (this is cleaner to use) We use GT85 which has Teflon in it, (very slippery).

The stiffness in the locks is caused by dirt and water corrosion, so as part of normal maintenance I would recommend a quick shot of WD40 to each lock this will prevent ware and keep them running smoothly.

Ian
Master Locksmith
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut on the saddle.
GL1800
Triumph 3TA Trials, BSA B40, Yamaha TYZ 250Trials x2, Bultaco Sherpa x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 PM

Post imported post

Congratulations on your promotion Koxx4, now Ian if you can tell me the secret of why i keep losing my keys all the time please

Derek and Maggie

GL1800 2004 US spec White.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

derekhendry wrote:
Quote:
Congratulations on your promotion Koxx4, now Ian if you can tell me the secret of why i keep losing my keys all the time please
for that you need a brain cells guru Derek.

Good to see questions and answers re locks and keys like the one from GS, and Koxx4, it helps us all learn some do's and don'ts on subjects like this.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Rider15
Post imported post

Check with your local lock shop. They have a spray lube specially designed to lube and clean the locks. Also a reputable locksmith can most likely make key and repair a stuck lock as long as you do not drill it out. I made that mistake once and my locksmith never lets me forget it.

Only bike I really wanted to ever own is GOLD.

There are only two types of Goldwings
Rolled Gold - Pretzels
Old Gold - Polish

Patriot Guard Rider - Let\'s Show Them The Respect They Deserve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:24 AM

Make: Honda
Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
Post imported post

but is the stock lock able to be rekeyed to fit the others?

pm sent

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 AM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: 2008 Gl 1800 P premium Audio
Post imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if this is the correct way to fix a jammed/gummy lock as recommended by a master locksmith, but...

I have twice rescued a lock on my 1100. One was the tank lock, which got extremely stiff, and one was a helmet lock, which would unlock, but would then refuse to give up the key until you spent a minute or two wiggling it.

In both cases, I first shoved the plastic tube from a can of brake cleaner into the lock, and hosed it down, cleaning all the gunk and grime out of the lock.

Next, I did the same with a can of graphite lubricant. This is black stuff that comes in a spray can, but the carrier is extremely volatile and evaporates within seconds, leaving behind a thin coating of dry graphite, which is very slippery. You have to be careful with this stuff, because it is BLACK, and if you get it anywhere you don't want it to go, that place will be BLACK as well.

In both cases, it made the locks function as good as new.
I use some stuff I used to use on my mtorcycle chain (kaw kz400ltdH1) Its called tryflow not sure if its the same stuff But Ive used it in my ignition switch & did this lastmay 2009 & it has always worked like a charm!

All good things come to He who waitith if he workith like hell while he waitith !
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Post imported post

EDDIE W wrote:
Quote:
looks like i wont be running around on an 1800 for the foresable future then
Just remember they shoot Horse thieves......Iron Horse that is

Stu

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Lock and Key Guru

Post imported post

hummer5205 wrote:
Quote:
I use some stuff I used to use on my mtorcycle chain (kaw kz400ltdH1) Its called tryflow not sure if its the same stuff But Ive used it in my ignition switch & did this lastmay 2009 & it has always worked like a charm!
Be warned, motorcycle chain lube is designed to be sticky to remain on the chain when its in motion.
The very fine springs in all pin, slide and lever operated locks will not over come this stickiness you will effectively glue the tumblers in place! The first time you put your key in it will set the position of the tumblers and the lock will work and may go on working for sometime, however should you ever insert a wrong key by mistake it will reset the tumblers to the new key shape and they will not return to a neutral position, so when you put the right key in it will be jammed solid.
If this happens don't be tempted to put screwdrivers or anything else into the lock, the slide tumblers in motorcycle locks are easy to bend and damage. In stead flush the lock with WD40 or a very thin penetrating type oil and work the key in and out until the tumblers move freely again even when the lock is working again continue to flush until you are happy that all the sticky stuff has been removed.
My best advise is never to use oil or lubes that don't expressly state on the can that they are suitable for locks.
In the course of a week we strip and rebuild about 50 motorcycle locks about 25% of which have been filled with anything from gear oil to grease and all have jammed.

Locks on motorcycles tend to be overlooked when a service is done on the bike, they are exposed to the elements, when you drop your keys you often transfer grit into the lock, when you take out of your pocket fluff is often attached to them which is then forced into the lock without your knowledge, so locks have a hard life. One squirt of the correct lube at service time will keep them sweet helps prevent jams and reduces wear to the keys.

Ian
Master Locksmith
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut on the saddle.
GL1800
Triumph 3TA Trials, BSA B40, Yamaha TYZ 250Trials x2, Bultaco Sherpa x2
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 PM

Post imported post

That is good info Ian, thanks.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

That should prove useful Ian, thanks mate.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page