Dupli-Color Paint for Engines (DE1615) - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I sent a quick email yesterday to Dupli-Color requesting some information on the use of their product. They replied immediately with the right answer. The following is my question to them and the response I received:
[align=center] ..............................
[/align]Question:
On the can of DE1615, the instructions say to use an engine primer on bare metal. However, your instructions on this (Dupli-Color) website don't mention to use it...what's the correct answer? I looked at Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, and an auto parts store but no one stocks the primer and they think it's not required. Now what?
[align=center]..............................
[/align]Note: I found out later in the day that Engine Primer DE1612 is available in the U.S., but not in Canada. For those of us in Canada, look for VHT products.

Answer:
Thank you for your inquiry with Dupli-Color. You would want to use the Engine Primer DE1612 on bare metal applications for the best performing system.

A primer is always recommended for the best results. Bare metal or previously coated, a primer will offer better adhesion. You can find VHT products at Summit Racing and ATECH Motorsports. Any vendor that carries Dupli-Color can order any VHT product as we are both owned and operated by the Sherwin Williams Co.

Can labels will always be up to date and accurate and I would refer to them for proper application instructions.

For dealer locations, please contact the Dupli-Color Canadian Technical and Where-To-Buy Help Line at 1-866-736-1487

[/align]Engine Primer Dupli-Color DE1612 available in U.S.
Engine Paint Dupli-Color DE1615 available in U.S.

Engine Primer VHT CSP-100 High Heat available in Canada
Engine Paint Dupli-Color CDE1615 available in Canada

I hope this helps with everyone's future projects.
Uncle A.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 AM

Post imported post

I used Krylon #41403 on my engine several years ago without any primer and it's doing fine still. I think Canadian Tire sells it.

My concern with primer is that unless it is silver in colour, then any rock chips will look like hell if the primer shows through. At least by not using primer, the worst is that the engine colour will show through.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to drking
Post imported post

go VHT if you want the best.
dupi-color was invented for girl's.

Uncle A wrote:
Quote:
I sent a quick email yesterday to Dupli-Color requesting some information on the use of their product. They replied immediately with the right answer. The following is my question to them and the response I received:
[align=center] ..............................
[/align]Question:
On the can of DE1615, the instructions say to use an engine primer on bare metal. However, your instructions on this (Dupli-Color) website don't mention to use it...what's the correct answer? I looked at Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, and an auto parts store but no one stocks the primer and they think it's not required. Now what?
[/align]Note: I found out later in the day that Engine Primer DE1612 is available in the U.S., but not in Canada. For those of us in Canada, look for VHT products.

Answer:
Thank you for your inquiry with Dupli-Color. You would want to use the Engine Primer DE1612 on bare metal applications for the best performing system.

A primer is always recommended for the best results. Bare metal or previously coated, a primer will offer better adhesion. You can find VHT products at Summit Racing and ATECH Motorsports. Any vendor that carries Dupli-Color can order any VHT product as we are both owned and operated by the Sherwin Williams Co.

Can labels will always be up to date and accurate and I would refer to them for proper application instructions.

For dealer locations, please contact the Dupli-Color Canadian Technical and Where-To-Buy Help Line at 1-866-736-1487

[/align]Engine Primer ┬*┬* ┬* Dupli-Color DE1612 available in U.S.
Engine Paint ┬* ┬* ┬*┬* Dupli-Color DE1615 available in U.S.

Engine Primer ┬* ┬*┬* VHT CSP-100 High Heat available in Canada
Engine Paint ┬* ┬* ┬*┬* Dupli-Color CDE1615 available in Canada

I hope this helps with everyone's future projects.
Uncle A.

RABINDRANATH TAGORE:
He who is too busy doing good finds no time to be good.
<a href=\"https://goldwingfacts.com/forums/gallery_view.php?user=3923\" style=\"text-decoration: none\">
Pics of My Bike</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 05:07 PM

Model: GL1800
Send a message via Skype™ to wingnut
Post imported post

This is a useful thread, I'll move it to the reference forum now.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 12:22 AM

Model: GL1800 2015 Red
Post imported post

Many years ago I painted a gas tank with Dupli-Color, the first time it saw gas the paint dissolved.

I wrote to them and sent the paint back and in their initial reply they said I was wrong and that their paints were not soluble in gas, but they would investigate.

A while later I got a package of new primer and paint and a nice letter saying that they had investigated and found that in fact that formulation was gas soluble and thanked me for bringing it to their attention.

A company with that kind of customer service is definitely worth supporting.

John

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Model: 93 Gl1500 / 76 Gl1000
Post imported post

Acaution with Duplicolor high temp. engine paint is you have to complete all coats in the specified time. You cannot re-coat after the paint dries. Even years later the old paint will wrinkle badly. I didn't use the primer so that may be the difference.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black 93 1500 Aspy
Yellow 76 1000
Black Cherry 04 Rune

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?" B. O.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:41 PM

Post imported post

FYI to the forum. Last week I went to buy Duplicolor DE 1615 for my GL1100 restoration. Autozone had only 1 can of DE 1615, and the rest of the shelf slot was filled with Rustoleum 28949. The Autozone folks said Duplicolor was purchased by Rustoleum, and the 28949 was the replacement paint.

I painted two lower hose connectors, one with DE 1516, and one with 28949. The Rustoleum looks a little darker whenthe camera flash was not used.

Just an FYI !!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0245.JPG (90.8 KB, 224 views)

Life is too short - Live like today is your last day on earth!!! If I go to my maker with a few bumps and bruises, it just means I took the scenic route!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 PM

Post imported post

Here it is with the camera flash on:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0248.JPG (96.1 KB, 225 views)

Life is too short - Live like today is your last day on earth!!! If I go to my maker with a few bumps and bruises, it just means I took the scenic route!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 09:49 PM

Year: 1982
Make: goldwing custom
Model: 82 interstate custom
I always keep a can of duplicolor black in the garage and just want to say that their engine enamel is much better looking paint after drying than their regular stuff. I have been using it instead of regular black for everything, not only engines. try it, I bet you guys will agree.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page