GL1500 trunk relocation - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Garage
Post imported post

Did you ever post the pictures to this modification?

Snot sickels and wind are my favorite things!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:31 PM

Model: 1999 1500SE Motortrike
Post imported post

Even though this is a pretty old post, I saw it again, and wanted to answer the questions above. The aluminum is basically bolted where the trunk WAS, and the new holes you make and thread in it, are where the trunk will now sit and be attatched. The helmet holder thingy will work, but it is a PIA to manipulate the spacer and all the latch stuff. That's why I just left them where they were, and Dremeled the oblong hole a little bigger, so they'd still poke through the bottom. I have checked the assembly every time we rode, since that IS my wife leaning back on MY work! It has never gotten loose, or failed, so I guess the plans are good to go! If I had any suggestion to add, it would be to use steel instead, and have it welded properly to the existing bracketry, for a permanent installation. The aluminum is easier to work with, but welding/steel just seems better for saftey. If an aluminum bracket flexed enough times(cycled),seems the aluminum could crack. Also, I used Loc-tite on the nuts/bolts. I check it every ride. So far,though, so good. jimsjinx

"We are put here, to take care of each other"
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 PM

moved mine back 2-3/4", had to make some minor adjustments to the build, since the rear trunk holes are farther apart on my wing than the front trunk mount holes. Once I figured out the ratio, I was all good! I had to lengthen the wiring to the trunk taillights and turn signals. I did not have to lengthen the saddlebag latch cables, just a little rerouting got me enough length for them to work. I used 1" x 1/4 aluminum for the build, and did the helmet latch setback as well.

As most others on this posting, I didn't take any pictures of the build in progress, but will try to remember if I ever have to take the trunk off again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 04:27 PM

Model: GL1200A Bike & GL1500SE/GTL Trike
Garage
I moved ours back in 2005 or 06 ...... about 2-1/4".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Move trunk back chart photo.jpg (89.9 KB, 54 views)

'97 GL-1500 SE / Lehman GTL Trike
...( Candy Spectra Red )
'85 GL-1200 Aspencade
...( Vintage Red )

NRA, VSPA, & GWRRA Life Member
"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page