Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Reference and FAQ Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/)
-   -   GL1500 trunk relocation (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/322122-gl1500-trunk-relocation.html)

dustin neal rose 03-27-2009 09:25 AM

imported post

I just traded my 1800 for a 1500. I hated to do it,but lack of a job forced me to.
The 1500 is a great bike, but my wife and i are large people. Im 6'1 330 and my wife,well anyway.
It has a travelcade seat which has no relevance to the question really, bit i want to slide the trunk back a few inches to get some more room between us. HAs anyone ever done this,or can it be done?

bikgra 03-27-2009 09:28 AM

imported post

Wiring would pose a big problem and the other thing is the emergency saddlebag releases inside the trunk would not line up correctly then.

But anything is possible

dustin neal rose 03-28-2009 12:39 AM

imported post

Very possible after all. Took about 3 hours.

First remove the 4 trunk bolts, then the seat, then the screws holding the underside trim onto the trunk.

Take latch cover off from inside the trunk( 5phillips screws).
Unplug wiring harness and unhook trunk saddle bag cables at latches.

Lean trunk towards front of bike. Remove helmet locks from trunk frame.

Take 2 pieces of aluminum flat bar, 1.5" wide 5/16 thick and cut them to 15.5" long . Then drill two holes a little larger than your original trunk bolts one an inch from end of bar, the other 10.85" from center of first hole.

Decide how far you want to move back ( i went 3 inches ) and drill 2 more holes 3 inches from center of the first holes you drilled ( toward the back of both original holes).

Bolt on using original bolts. Measure 3 inches from the center of trunk mount holes and drill a hole for the bolt heads to go up into or replace the bolts with flat countersunk bolts. Whichever you prefer. ( You will only have to do this with the rear bolts. The fronts will be in front of the trunk)

There are a few fin type supports molded in the plastic you will have to grind off for the trunk to sit on top of the flat bar flush. Sit trunk in place and put new bolts in with lock washers. Take into consideration the bolt where the antenna ground it will have to be longer than the rest. Then reassemble. Moved my wife back far enough she doesn't touch me at all. 3" don't sound like a lot but it made a world of difference.

The only downfall is there is a gap that will need to be filled between the back of the seat and the front of the trunk. ( Strictly for looks). and you will not be able to access emergency bag releases from trunk, but can access by reaching under trunk .
You also loose your helmet locks but i didn't use them anyway

I will post pics soon.

Any questions i will be happy to answer them. You will have to reroute the saddle bag cables over the top of the trunk frame. No big deal

midwing 03-28-2009 06:19 AM

imported post

Impressive

da_bull 03-28-2009 08:44 AM

imported post

I dont need to do this, but that's cool that it can be done. Nice job. :clapper:

jimsjinx 03-28-2009 09:24 AM

imported post

I can't remember who gave em to me, but there are plans out there for relocation. jimsjinx

dustin neal rose 04-02-2009 04:17 PM

imported post

Glad to see someone does. AFTER I MADE ONE!!! However mine only cost me $15 worth of parts so not too bad.

How many inches does 27% convert to? Just wondering

jimsjinx 04-03-2009 09:40 PM

imported post

Relocation of trunk done today! I did have some issues with the helmet holders, a real pain in the rear to get to fit and adjust properly. I opted to leave them where Honda put them, and leave them in the locked position. Then if I need them I'll carry 2 little padlocks to hook the helmets to the locked loops.Takes the headache out of the job. The wife noticed a big difference. It got me 2" further back, and 1/2" higher. Looks nice, too. I need to thank a member who sent me his plans, but can't remember his name.His plans made it pretty easy overall.Exept the helmet locks, of course. jimsjinx

dustin neal rose 04-04-2009 08:24 AM

imported post

Yeah. i just opted to leave the helmet locks off all together. I usually lock mine in the trunk if i lock them up at all

miles.from.nowhere 04-04-2009 05:48 PM

imported post

:blowingup::blowingup:Pictures guys - we need pictures;)