MEC Waderer 2 - Tent review - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

MEC has a very similar return policy as REI and very good quality, as well

One of my buds has the REI Half dome and although a nice tent with2 doors/vestibules, the vestibules are not near as large and the interior height/floor space isn't as great, as well.

My backpacking tent is a 2 man (ya ... I know!) Double Rainbow, made by TarpTent

It packs incredibly small, weighs 1135g, has 2 doors/vestibules and is great for that purpose

Here it is set up at Moores Point, along the Lake Chelan Lakeshore Trail, which Cousin Jack and pals, just hiked.

and here it is in 'travel mode', packed up in the gray/black compression sac. That's a 1 litre drink bottle for size comparison!

The Wanderer 2 is a much more comfortable tent for motorcycle touring and packs down fairly small as well, with the aid of a compression stuff sac.

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:52 PM

Post imported post

nice tents but pricey

made a trip to Alaska in 2007, bought a $200 tent for the trip because i was worried we might camp in the rain a lot, only camped in the rain one nite, the $200 tent was nice for the trip but since then whenever i go camping i take my 10 year old 7x7 $25 Kmart tent, it packs and sets up easier, only real drawback is if it rains it sometimes leaks a little

email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rode my bike to Trailer Week
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to Nightrider1 Send a message via Yahoo to Nightrider1
Post imported post

I picked up a little 129.00 Wal Mart tent back in 2002, and I have never got wet in it when it rained.

You meet the best people who ride a Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:33 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

My main tent is a plastic one about two inches by three inches and has a magnetic strip built in. The label says Best Western.

I do carry the smallest back packer and sleeping bag I could find just in case.

However I have been thinking of a tent with a few more options. I just can't find one with a hot shower.

I don't like to ride with external luggage but gave in a little by keeping my dirty laundry in a knapsack strapped to the back seat. It needed the air.

Seriously though I wouldn't mind seeing three photos of your bike Dusty. One with the gear spread out on the ground, one with it stowed but lids open and the third ready to roll.

Len
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

nobbie wrote:
Quote:
Seriously though I wouldn't mind seeing three photos of your bike Dusty. One with the gear spread out on the ground, one with it stowed but lids open and the third ready to roll.

Patience, Grasshopper..... and you shall be rewarded.

My Bud and I are going on a nice little 15 day trip. Leaving June 17 and arriving back on July 1st to catch the Canada DayFireworks display out over Okanagan Lake, here in Penticton.
I'll take some shots for you on different ways I canpack the bike and do another little 'slideshow presentation'.

Current thought is that I'll most likely be employing 2 trunk rack bags, one on the Pylon Seat, which will hold all my camping equipment and the other will hold my heated clothing, rain suit, bike cover and assortment of gloves, so they will be easy to get to. I might compact everything into the bike's bags, but I would like room for lots of souvenirs. We'll see.

Our route will take us through the gamut of weather conditions, due to elevation profiles, as we'll be heading throughGlacier/Beartooth Pass/Chief Joseph Highway/Bighorns/Yellowstone/Grand Tetons/Ketchum/Lolo Pass and up into the Idaho Panhandle, before spending our last night at Bonaparte Lake, east of Tonasket, WA

Here's the 1st leg of the trip from MapQuest (Google maps won't plot over the Beartooth Pass)

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/7-C69YL3qIBzIYTjk8a0yr

and the 2nd leg: http://tinyurl.com/plcuyb

for a total of over 2800 miles. We are looking forward to it, as we'll be covering a lot of Destination Highways and primo scenery.

Dusty

- just another Rider

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Lost on this *****

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 Aspy
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Winger77
Post imported post

Hey Dusty,,,,,,, that looks like a great run you have planned out. Glad your taking advantage of being retired. Sure wish I didn't pass up the Tetons I should have just told the boss I had a flat tireOh well, maybe I'll scheem up something while at Montrose.

I really like your trunk bag too, but there are other items I'll be needing and I figure I did fine on the last trip with what I have.

I'm always looking forward to seeing "what Dusty has been up to".

You have yourself a super duper trip Ken.

The things I liked,,,,I\'ve tried em twice!
You have to be a little Crazy,,,,,, or else you\'ll go Insane.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

Thanks, Dave!

I bought the 2nd trunk rack bag primarily for the Montrose trip, to store my heated liners etc, as I figure by Sept it'll be getting a little cool for just a mesh jacket, especially in the mornings at altitude. Last Sept/Oct, I got pretty tired of riding 10-12 hours in temps that were in the 30's and feeling 'bulky' with all the layers on. This way I plan to eliminate a lot of 'layers' and keep warm.

This trip will be a good 'shake down' run to get things 'dialed in' and the bag is cheap enough that if I don't need it, no big deal, I'll have a spare.

Ken

- just another Rider

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 PM

Model: 2006 1800
Post imported post

nobbie wrote:
Quote:
My main tent is a plastic one about two inches by three inches and has a magnetic strip built in. The label says Best Western.

I do carry the smallest back packer and sleeping bag I could find just in case.

However I have been thinking of a tent with a few more options. I just can't find one with a hot shower.

I don't like to ride with external luggage but gave in a little by keeping my dirty laundry in a knapsack strapped to the back seat. It needed the air.

I'm with you, Best West.. They don't make a matters thick enough to soften that hard ground.......

Back to riding after a 30 yr lay off.. Started with a 86 Magna 750 on to a 02 Shadow 1100,99 Magna 750,91 ST1100, finaly a 93 Wing.. and now an 06 1800 Loven Life...
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

Foodman wrote:
Quote:
I'm with you, Best West.. They don't make a matters thick enough to soften that hard ground.......

My air mattress is farthicker than my wallet !

Different people have different travel 'modes'. At this stage of my life, I'm stillmore comfortable camping, than staying in a stuffy overpriced motel/hotel night after night, while on the road.

Having said that, I do use motels when I have to make 'time' on a trip, but when the pace is more relaxed, I'll choose to camp.

Dusty

- just another Rider

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:56 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Quote:
Having said that, I do use motels when I have to make 'time' on a trip, but when the pace is more relaxed, I'll choose to camp.

Dusty
I have also found that if you are travelling alone and camp you meet a lot of people. Less so when you are in a group.

Len

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page