82 GL1100 Aspencade trunk relocation. - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Post imported post

The finished product.

After mounting the 3 steel bars, test fitting them on the bike and making sure that everything lines up and works well, I checked to see where I would need to reuse the rubber feet. This will stop the chatter and the clinking of metal on metal and will aid in the support of the trunk.

The old rubber feet were reused and in some places the thickness required a thick and thin one held together buy that wonderful foam tape. The foam tape was used to mount them to the trunk.

The open holes were caulked from both sides. In my case the caulking will dry transparent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (53.0 KB, 507 views)

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

This is how the “new” feet line up on my install. There is 1 on each side just in front of the lock. If you chose to set the trunk back other then 3.5 inches that I did then things down here would line up differently. You may need to mount “new” feet elsewhere too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (66.2 KB, 505 views)

3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The new room gained by this modification…

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (100.5 KB, 505 views)

____

Please visit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

From a distance…

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (161.3 KB, 508 views)

____

Please visit
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I hope this little “How To” guide helps you if you were thinking about relocating your trunk. It was an easy project to do. My wife loves the extra room back there now and we’re not so squished. She admits to being a bit nervous as she feels “loose” back there. She will get use to it… I already have!

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

Tim.

____

Please visit
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 PM

Model: GL1200I
Post imported post

Man, am I ever glad I have a 1200 and not an 1100!After reading what you had togo through to get 3&1/2" more room in the back seat, I'm very happy with my 3" of extra free room. It was done all w/spare stuff laying around, and it's very strong & secure. I think, if I remember correctly, it only took about an hour or so to do. The difference of course, is that my Interstate has a lot less going on on the trunk than that 1100. The bottom of the trunk is relitivly smooth, and the rack that the trunk sits on is more plain. If you would like to see my 3" setback, look at my avatar or my pics on the Gallery.

If ya can\'t stay up on 2 wheels, better to make \'em three than to keep talkin ta EMT people.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:09 PM

Post imported post

i did basicly the same to mine last april expect you did some improvements i would like to use
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Post imported post

Thank you for this, I am about to start this mod on mine tonight.

1982 GL1100
1980 Honda CM400
1979 Yamaha XS750 Special ( project)
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Ginsco (and others),

Thanks for the compliments. Good luck with your mods tonight.

We are "fluffy" people and the extra 3.5" were needed. You may not need this amount of room. Too much is just as bad as too little room with the pillion not havingany place to have his/her back against (too far ahead).

Don't go over the 3.5 inches as it (I think) makes things too unstable.

Good Luck !!

Tim.

____

Please visit
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page