Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Camping Gear for bike trips :)

24K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  IdahoRaider 
#1 ·
imported post

Today's the last day of February! I've been away for months due to divorce, haven't even enjoyed lurking. But having made new friends who love to ride, I'm finally looking forward to some real trips, and camping is part of the plan.

I've camped, and I've ridden....but haven't done both together. Are there preferred tents, sleeping bags, cooking etc items out there best purchased for packing on a wing? Would appreciate all good thoughts and advice, and thanks!

Still six inches of snow here in N. MO, melting, we're about to enjoy some highs above freezing this week. It's been a long, snowy, extra cold winter here.....it's time to ride! :applause:

#2 ·
imported post

There has been a couple of good threads on here talking about camping gear, what to pack and brands of tents, etc......If I can find the dang post!!

Found it....this should be some good reading for you and give you some good info!

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/39061.html

#4 ·
imported post

I use a 30 year old 2-man dome tent, a self inflating mattress, and then a 3" memory foam pad. I have a bad back, and need a little extra comfort there. And then, a double polyfil bag, (I am too big for a single bag. Sleep in sweats and a t-shirt, that way when you have to get up in the middle of the night, you don't have to search around for your skivies. Also, a pair of flip-flops work well to protect feet during that 3:00 am break.

I also have a plastic sheet to go below the test to protect the tent from moisture, mud, etc. Also use a small LED flashlight, and a cord to hang it from so you can read yourself to sleep at night.

#6 ·
imported post

LOL....Rabbit, the boat had a 90 HP Johnson, so maybe it should have been pulling the bike! And AZgl, I did all right, got the wing, lost the boat....which would YOU rather have? lol My ex and I are very friendly, helping each other make new starts, her with a new business I bought her, and I'm renovating the apartment completely upstairs for her. She's helping me still when needed in my photography studio.

#8 ·
imported post

my dad and i got all our gear

he bought a trailer camper for him so we can haul everything in the camper

small tent,sleeping pad, sleeping bag, propane burner stove, propane lantern, propane torch end to start fires he he, cooler i have a 12volt coleman cooler i wired into the parking lights so it keeps everything inside it around 36degrees, first aid kit,

it all depends on your definetion of camping some people go all out and my dad and i camp cheap eating ramen noodles ect maybe eat a good meal every other day or so

#9 ·
imported post

Go to a good backpacking store like REI of A16 ect. and get the kind of equipment that you would carry in a backpack on the trail.

I have been using my backpacking equipment on the bike, and all of my gear for two people for a week fits into one side box, with the two sleeping bags and self inflating pads in the rack bag, ad waterproofs in the other side box. This leaves the top box completely empty for whatever we need it for including all our riding gear and helmets when stopped.

All of my gear for two weighs in at around 25# and the tent has been into minus 35 with 70-80mph winds.

#10 ·
imported post

When camping on a bike(no trailer), having compact gear is mandatory. Think backpacking gear.

Having said that, you don't want anything less than a 2 person tent, as you will be too cramped for changing clothes/gear.

I do a lot of 'moto-camping' and have found out over the years thatyou get what you pay for. Yes, you can buy cheap shelters, but that's what they are - cheap.

If you are unsure of what to look for in a tent, read this to educate yourself.

Here's a review I did on an excellent tent that provides excellent value for a good quality tent - http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/70637.html

Replace the tent stakes that come with your tent. They bend easily, making them useless. I use a 'Y' stake, as they are much stronger and hold very well

For mattress, I'd suggest this one, as it is reasonably priced, will keep you warm(unlike the Coleman/Ozark type), is very compactand is 3" thick - http://tinyurl.com/ygevg5q

As for a sleeping bag, my personalchoice isa down bag whichcompacts smaller, weighs less, costs more,lasts longerand will keep you warmer than a synthetic filled bag - but it will loose all insulative properties if it gets wet.

Here's a tutorial on sleeping bags

I also carry a good sized, lightweight tarp, to shelter your cooking area(picnic table)and to increase your 'outdoor living space', during inclement weather. Very important!!

I prefer to use the more expensive Silicon tarps(such as this), as they are lighter, very compact and unlike tents, can be stashed away wet with no worries about mold growing if not dried out within a day or two. (Don't try that with a tent as the mold will destroy the tent's fabric)

It also provides a sheltered area to set-up/pack-up camp!

Here's a video I did showing a few easy to tie/untie knots I use for quickly setting tarps

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/r2fdTtKuQRE&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Are you planning on cooking at campas well ... or eating all meals on the road??

Dusty

#11 ·
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
LOL....Rabbit, the boat had a 90 HP Johnson, so maybe it should have been pulling the bike! And AZgl, I did all right, got the wing, lost the boat....which would YOU rather have? lol My ex and I are very friendly, helping each other make new starts, her with a new business I bought her, and I'm renovating the apartment completely upstairs for her. She's helping me still when needed in my photography studio.
You really came out of your divorce smelling like a rose, I came out of mine with a severe case of road rash - she cleaned my clock. Back to better things like camping, don't overload your trunk luggage rack or might suffer cracks in the top of the lid like I did.

Keep on Winging:bat:

#13 ·
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
Weird , i cant get a long with my wife for 5 minutes and were still married . You two seem to get along great and got a divorce . Now which of us is the dummy .

Dont forget your fishing pole .

#14 ·
imported post

When I'm solo,
I use a ten by ten dome tent, a cot and a square bag. I also carry 2 of each undershorts, tee shirts, over shirt and long pants. I carry 4 pair socks, 1 rain suit, jacket, vest, head cover, hat. For hygiene I keep a large zip lock bag with smaller bags inside containing a wash cloth, towel, liquid soap, deodorant, hair brush/comb, razor, dental cleaning product. I can get all but tent and cot in the bags and trunk on an 81 GL 1100. I prefer a cot since it gets me off ground and has a smaller footprint for storage.

#15 ·
imported post

Pile everything you need on the floor in your living room - then cut the pile in half and you'll still have more then you need. I'm down to a pair of nickers an a case of beer.

#16 ·
imported post

Many folks on the forum welcome other members to 'crash", at their place when your on the road. I've done this with the members of my Sabre=Magna group, and had them at my house, so it saves a lot of money, and made some friends too.
One option is to ship the camping gear to where your going and use inexpensive motels enroute. then the size of the equipment or it's weight becomes less important, When done ship it home.
Solo on a Wing, it is not real hard to pack for camping but, 2up it's an issue, but it has been done.
:shock:

#17 ·
imported post

Tent, sleeping bag,pillow,leathers on the seat. Six days of clothes,includeing sox and underwear.

Tools and few light but hard to get parts,tire repair kit and 12 v compressor.Spare qt oil.Frogg togs.

3/4 helmet,first aid kit,soft side cooler. A little heavy but the wing handles it well.

#18 ·
imported post

WOW.....what a wealth of information, thanks to all!!

Looking forward togetting into this....I expect to be riding 2up, so guess in order to keep that person happy, will have to see what their basic requests are....may need a basic trailer to help.

Many thanks again, friends!

#19 ·
imported post

Since I tour riding solo, I can carry a few 'extras, that I wouldn't bring, riding two up

Here's what I carry when" Moto-Camping " for a month(or more), on the road, travelling through all kinds of climatic conditions(-250' - 12,000'+/below freezing -115*+)

I didn't get a shot of what's in the trunk, but I carry my Acer Aspire One 10.1 Netbook computer, 175 watt power inverter with USB port to charge all my electronics while riding, a 1.5 W solar panel, tent poles, toiletries bag, a can of Lemon Pledge and a polishing cloth, spare riding gloves(2 extra pairs) cigarettes, 6" hunting knife, insurance documents/ownership, wide brimmed hat, maps/guide books, garbage/grocery bags for laundry/garbage etc. and room for souvenirs on my trips

I've probably forgotten a few things , but you get the jest of it.

Dusty

#21 ·
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
WOW.....what a wealth of information, thanks to all!!

Looking forward to getting into this....I expect to be riding 2up, so guess in order to keep that person happy, will have to see what their basic requests are....may need a basic trailer to help.

Many thanks again, friends!
Wing and a trailer are made for each other :) I didn't seem to be able to get as much stuff on the Wing, two up, as I could on the FJ. :?

But with a trailer we had about everything we could need, going round France last year; cool bag trolley thing, two big folding chairs, camping table, decent sized tent, airbed, books, small sketching kit, cooking gear (plates, chopping board, KFS, 'erbs etc.) food, mobile phones (+ chargers), netbook, and etc. some more :cheesygrin:

Pack carefully, choose your kit and there ain't much you can't fit :cool:

#22 ·
imported post

Dusty Boots, You Are the Camping Guru. The advice that you gave me last year was what I utilized for my camping trip and I was extremely comfortable every night spent out camping.

Thanks again,

Kai

#23 ·
imported post

Hey, NO PROBLEM, Kai !! :blushing:

Glad that it went well for you both and that hopefully, I turned another one on to the 'Wonderful World of Camping/Outdoors'. :thumbsup:

#24 ·
imported post

Dusty is the camping guru, and has more time under a tent fly than just about anyone I know...take his advice to the bank.

One little addition from me: today's gear is so good, so compact, so versatile, that you can two-up camp on just about any bike.... We ride an ST1300, and with a few simple additions, we can stay out 6-8 weeks, and did so this summer. We added some waterproof "canoe" bags to our bike, as you can see below. The bags above the hard cases carry a Wiggy synthetic bag and a Big Agnes blow-up mattress each, and the bag on the small rack behind carries our 4-person Eureka tent (just right for two people!), our ground cloth, and an auxiliary tarp. A small Coleman 533 backpacking stove goes in one of the bags, a pot and utensils in the other, and our clothing, etc...... If you are willing to make some compromises on clothing (mostly cosmetic), I believe you can camp off any bike. Wear synthetic clothing, and wash them out often....

I've considered a trailer, and there are good arguments for them, but deep down in my little primitive biker's brain, I just don't like them. So we go with less.

Attachments

#26 ·
imported post

I really can't add anything here,,,,,, Both Guru's (Dusty & CJ)have covered it all. I would only repeat what they have already recommended. I guess you could say I have been one of their students in learning how to camp/tour on the bike. And still learning from them.

Advice I will give ,,,,,,,,,

1. Go light on the amount of clothing you pack,,, my first tour, I had twice too much. There is always a laundrymat along the way.

2. Don't be too cheap,,,,,, when your caught in a down pour or even hail the size of golf balls (happen to me at Mount Rushmore) you'll be glad you spent the money on a good tent.

Same goes with a sleep pad,,,,,, after a long day riding,,,, your body will thank you for the nice soft pad. I use the Big Agnes blow up also, and love it. And I use the small portable pump like this one Coleman Quick Pump : Target,,,,,, they are available at Wal Mart and one set of batteries last a 2 week trip easy.

3. I find this very useful,,,,,,, ChecklistsI print it, and I check off each item as I pack the bike.

Ok,,,,,,,,, so I did add my $.02 ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.