Camping Gear for bike trips :) - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:29 PM

Post imported post

flashya2 wrote:
Quote:
WOW.....what a wealth of information, thanks to all!!

¬*

Looking forward to¬*getting into this....I expect to be riding 2up, so guess in order to keep that person happy, will have to see what their basic requests are....may need a basic trailer to help.

¬*

Many thanks again, friends!
Wing and a trailer are made for each other I didn't seem to be able to get as much stuff on the Wing, two up, as I could on the FJ.

But with a trailer we had about everything we could need, going round France last year; cool bag trolley thing, two big folding chairs, camping table, decent sized tent, airbed, books, small sketching kit, cooking gear (plates, chopping board, KFS, 'erbs etc.) food, mobile phones (+ chargers), netbook, and etc. some more

Pack carefully, choose your kit and there ain't much you can't fit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:13 PM
kai

Post imported post

Dusty Boots, You Are the Camping Guru. The advice that you gave me last year was what I utilized for my camping trip and I was extremely comfortable every night spent out camping.

Thanks again,

Kai

STATES VISITED BY MOTORCYCLE:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Hey, NO PROBLEM, Kai !!

Glad that it went well for you both and that hopefully, I turned another one on to the 'Wonderful World of Camping/Outdoors'.

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Dusty is the camping guru, and has more time under a tent fly than just about anyone I know...take his advice to the bank.

One little addition from me: today's gear is so good, so compact, so versatile, that you can two-up camp on just about any bike.... We ride an ST1300, and with a few simple additions, we can stay out 6-8 weeks, and did so this summer. We added some waterproof "canoe" bags to our bike, as you can see below. The bags above the hard cases carry a Wiggy synthetic bag and a Big Agnes blow-up mattress each, and the bag on the small rack behind carries our 4-person Eureka tent (just right for two people!), our ground cloth, and an auxiliary tarp. A small Coleman 533 backpacking stove goes in one of the bags, a pot and utensils in the other, and our clothing, etc...... If you are willing to make some compromises on clothing (mostly cosmetic), I believe you can camp off any bike. Wear synthetic clothing, and wash them out often....

I've considered a trailer, and there are good arguments for them, but deep down in my little primitive biker's brain, I just don't like them. So we go with less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg How we pack!.JPG (81.6 KB, 291 views)

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 PM

Post imported post

I have found that cooking is WAY too much hassle! I either buy pre cooked grub or just eat at a restaurant and have something to munch on.
My woman picked up a 12v. powered french press which is nice for hot coffee in the morning.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Lost on this *****

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 Aspy
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Winger77
Post imported post

I really can't add anything here,,,,,, Both Guru's (Dusty & CJ)have covered it all. I would only repeat what they have already recommended. I guess you could say I have been one of their students in learning how to camp/tour on the bike. And still learning from them.

Advice I will give ,,,,,,,,,

1. Go light on the amount of clothing you pack,,, my first tour, I had twice too much. There is always a laundrymat along the way.

2. Don't be too cheap,,,,,, when your caught in a down pour or even hail the size of golf balls (happen to me at Mount Rushmore) you'll be glad you spent the money on a good tent.

Same goes with a sleep pad,,,,,, after a long day riding,,,, your body will thank you for the nice soft pad. I use the Big Agnes blow up also, and love it. And I use the small portable pump like this one Coleman Quick Pump : Target,,,,,, they are available at Wal Mart and one set of batteries last a 2 week trip easy.

3. I find this very useful,,,,,,, ChecklistsI print it, and I check off each item as I pack the bike.

Ok,,,,,,,,, so I did add my $.02

The things I liked,,,,I\'ve tried em twice!
You have to be a little Crazy,,,,,, or else you\'ll go Insane.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 AM

Model: 2010 GL1800 Champion Trike Conversion
Post imported post

I love this place, I wqant ot quit work and ride and camp and see this great land on 2 wheels. Thanks for all the great info, I can't wait.

Ritchie & Lyn - New wingers back in the saddle after 25 years
GWRRA #304235,
Ride safe and often, Honor those who have gone before us and thank God for being an American.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 PM

Post imported post

I didn't read all the replies but the wife and I went on our first camping trip last summer. We went with another couple up through the U.P. of Michigan and down through Wisconsin. Spent a couple days at the Dells the headed down to see the son in Iowa then back home. We took a six man tent with a double thickness air mattress, worked good. A couple of blankets and pillows and either sweats or p.j.'s. You'll want to take some quarters too for the showers. I took a pair of sneakers instead of flip flops. They were just the canvas type so they would dry quickly. Other than that we took our usual camping stuffcook stove, coffee pot, a cooler that attached to the front of the trailer. Whatever you end up taking theres plenty of time and opportunity to stop and pick up what you forgot.

If I had know grankids were this much fun, I would have had them FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:54 AM

Model: 1982 GL1100 Interstate
Post imported post

From a guy that camps at the Holiday Inn, this was a great thread. The pictures are great and "almost" gives me the camping bug. But most definitely gives me the touring bug. The highway 41 pic was great too. Don't know what everyone was waiting on, but I would happily wait with them right now.

I couldn't fix my brakes so I made the horn louder
Motor started to knock. Turned up the radio.

Jack
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM

Model: '97 GL1500 SE
Post imported post

Marv: Is this the bridge in Hancock/Houghton

USAF Veteran 67-79
VVA 69-70
USPHS Retiree (LCDR)
NRA Life
BSN,RN, Montana State U.
Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
CD Ch. V2 Mi.
GWRRA #328349
Medical Examiner Investigator
Patriot Guard Member (MI)
Member: Beaver Breeders, Wild Rhino and Knights of the Hatchet
Secret Societies.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page