Camping Gear for bike trips :) - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to flashya2
Post imported post

Today's the last day of February! I've been away for months due to divorce, haven't even enjoyed lurking. But having made new friends who love to ride, I'm finally looking forward to some real trips, and camping is part of the plan.

I've camped, and I've ridden....but haven't done both together. Are there preferred tents, sleeping bags, cooking etc items out there best purchased for packing on a wing? Would appreciate all good thoughts and advice, and thanks!

Still six inches of snow here in N. MO, melting, we're about to enjoy some highs above freezing this week. It's been a long, snowy, extra cold winter here.....it's time to ride!

Any day ABOVE ground is a GOOD day....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:14 AM

Model: GL1500
Post imported post

There has been a couple of good threads on here talking about camping gear, what to pack and brands of tents, etc......If I can find the dang post!!

Found it....this should be some good reading for you and give you some good info!

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/39061.html

Served 823rd RED HORSE Unit \'83-\'88 USAF
\'Semper Ducimus\'
Red Knights Alabama Chapter 2
"Loyal to our Duty"
PGR Alabama Div.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1983 CX500 Custom
1981 GL1100 Standard
1982 GL1100 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 LTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 AM

Post imported post

Does your boat have more horse power than your wing?

Jim & Louise

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb." Benjamin Franklin

Masons check out

1998 Goldwing SE
Honda 50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:49 AM

Post imported post

I use a 30 year old 2-man dome tent, a self inflating mattress, and then a 3" memory foam pad. I have a bad back, and need a little extra comfort there. And then, a double polyfil bag, (I am too big for a single bag. Sleep in sweats and a t-shirt, that way when you have to get up in the middle of the night, you don't have to search around for your skivies. Also, a pair of flip-flops work well to protect feet during that 3:00 am break.

I also have a plastic sheet to go below the test to protect the tent from moisture, mud, etc. Also use a small LED flashlight, and a cord to hang it from so you can read yourself to sleep at night.

Gun totin', motorcycle ridin', whisky drinkin', meat eatin' American. That's who I am...
2000 Valkyrie
1987 GL1200
1996 Motoguzzi Cali
Joined the Darkside-03.28.2010
Iron Butt Association, #38226
Robert Morris Lodge #97F&AM
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Your post almost sounds like your bike and a camping tent is about the sum of your "winnings" with that divorce

~ John

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

LOL....Rabbit, the boat had a 90 HP Johnson, so maybe it should have been pulling the bike! And AZgl, I did all right, got the wing, lost the boat....which would YOU rather have? lol My ex and I are very friendly, helping each other make new starts, her with a new business I bought her, and I'm renovating the apartment completely upstairs for her. She's helping me still when needed in my photography studio.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

And tks 4evermetric for your experience, all is welcome and good for me

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 PM

Garage
Post imported post

my dad and i got all our gear

he bought a trailer camper for him so we can haul everything in the camper

small tent,sleeping pad, sleeping bag, propane burner stove, propane lantern, propane torch end to start fires he he, cooler i have a 12volt coleman cooler i wired into the parking lights so it keeps everything inside it around 36degrees, first aid kit,

it all depends on your definetion of camping some people go all out and my dad and i camp cheap eating ramen noodles ect maybe eat a good meal every other day or so

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 01:57 PM

Post imported post

Go to a good backpacking store like REI of A16 ect. and get the kind of equipment that you would carry in a backpack on the trail.

I have been using my backpacking equipment on the bike, and all of my gear for two people for a week fits into one side box, with the two sleeping bags and self inflating pads in the rack bag, ad waterproofs in the other side box. This leaves the top box completely empty for whatever we need it for including all our riding gear and helmets when stopped.

All of my gear for two weighs in at around 25# and the tent has been into minus 35 with 70-80mph winds.

'RIDE TO BE SEEN'

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist is?

"I never saw him".
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

When camping on a bike(no trailer), having compact gear is mandatory. Think backpacking gear.

Having said that, you don't want anything less than a 2 person tent, as you will be too cramped for changing clothes/gear.

I do a lot of 'moto-camping' and have found out over the years thatyou get what you pay for. Yes, you can buy cheap shelters, but that's what they are - cheap.

If you are unsure of what to look for in a tent, read this to educate yourself.

Here's a review I did on an excellent tent that provides excellent value for a good quality tent - https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/70637.html

Replace the tent stakes that come with your tent. They bend easily, making them useless. I use a 'Y' stake, as they are much stronger and hold very well

For mattress, I'd suggest this one, as it is reasonably priced, will keep you warm(unlike the Coleman/Ozark type), is very compactand is 3" thick - http://tinyurl.com/ygevg5q

As for a sleeping bag, my personalchoice isa down bag whichcompacts smaller, weighs less, costs more,lasts longerand will keep you warmer than a synthetic filled bag - but it will loose all insulative properties if it gets wet.

Here's a tutorial on sleeping bags

I also carry a good sized, lightweight tarp, to shelter your cooking area(picnic table)and to increase your 'outdoor living space', during inclement weather. Very important!!

I prefer to use the more expensive Silicon tarps(such as this), as they are lighter, very compact and unlike tents, can be stashed away wet with no worries about mold growing if not dried out within a day or two. (Don't try that with a tent as the mold will destroy the tent's fabric)

It also provides a sheltered area to set-up/pack-up camp!

Here's a video I did showing a few easy to tie/untie knots I use for quickly setting tarps

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/r2fdTtKuQRE&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Are you planning on cooking at campas well ... or eating all meals on the road??

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page