Bringing back a 1983 Aspencade after sitting in shed. - Page 28 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #271 of 344 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:04 PM

Model: GL1100 / GL1200
Post imported post

Oh Glory Be!!!

Hey Copper! Look what's back!!!

Way to go Steve, and a special thanks to Jim!

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 344 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Yea!!!!!

glory be is right. Thank you Jim....

This is great.

Hal, now you can rest in peace.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #273 of 344 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1200A
Send a message via Yahoo to copper204
Post imported post

Holy smokes ...wowwwww wow wow.. I better get too updating..

Thank you Steve and John and Jim..

Another donation will be on its way.

Hal

Ok as a celebration.. I am in a great mood... So who needs some free GL1100 parts... Take it easy an PM me up.. The first Five can have some freebies...

Be like me: LIVE YOUR LIFE IN SUCH A MANNER. THAT WHEN YOUR FEET HIT THE FLOOR. THE DEVIL SIGHS AND SAYS, "OH DANG HE\'S AWAKE"

and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 344 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

So I started back on working on the brakes. I cleaned em up and honed out the brake calipers with this neat little hone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg project 010.jpg (157.5 KB, 485 views)

Be like me: LIVE YOUR LIFE IN SUCH A MANNER. THAT WHEN YOUR FEET HIT THE FLOOR. THE DEVIL SIGHS AND SAYS, "OH DANG HE\'S AWAKE"

and
post #275 of 344 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Here are the new caliper seals and dust washers order form and packing label. These are 1983 Aspencade specific. this being due to the integrated front and rear brakes, the right front brake and rear brake use the same seals. they are also inter linked via the rear brake pedal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg project 002.jpg (155.3 KB, 472 views)

and
post #276 of 344 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

And here we have one of the calipers all cleaned up and new seals and dust seals installed. It is tricky and frustrating.. Just take your time. The trick is too bend seal in half and insert one side and slowly walk the seal into the caliper using a tooth pick being careful and slow. they will fit in nice and snug. Just make sure and clean out the grooves. I used a brand new battery terminal cleaner and worked like a charm. then i honed caliper and cleaned it up for tenth time and installed the seals and dust seals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg project 003.jpg (154.7 KB, 485 views)

and
post #277 of 344 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

And here is the right front side with pistons re-installed. Just a tad bit of assembly grease and they slipped right in nice and firm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg project 004.jpg (157.2 KB, 480 views)

and
post #278 of 344 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

And here is the left side. Notice it is larger than right side and rear brake. This is the caliper that is directly operated by the front brake lever. Also ensure the slider of the caliper moves freely. This is the slider next to my pinky finger. If it does not move freely your brakes will stick and squeal no matter how clean everything else is. And all the anti squeal material will not stop squeal till this is free. This is due to the fact the caliper binds and does not float as it was designed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg project 005.jpg (143.4 KB, 477 views)

and
post #279 of 344 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

And here is a fully assembled caliper. I NEVER EVER EVER use any of the brake pad glue garbage. If your brakes are clean and properly lubed it is not needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg project 006.jpg (152.7 KB, 478 views)

and
post #280 of 344 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

See this metal clip. Make sure it is there and in good condition. This also can cause brake squeal. This due to the fact the brake caliper can shift in position. I cleaned it on all of em and tightened it and re-installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg project 007.jpg (153.8 KB, 475 views)

and

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page