Bringing back a 1983 Aspencade after sitting in shed. - Page 7 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Location: Singapore + Lake Placid, NY, mostly..., , Singapore
Post imported post

Furiously taking copious notes over here......

(that's my CONCENTRATING not constipated face, btw)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM

Post imported post

I resurrected a 1972 Honda CL350 that had been pushed home on Halloween night 1978 and left on it's side stand in the backyard, with the gas on, uncovered, till 1998.
I was able to save everything on that bike EXCEPT THE CARBS. Those I had to purchase from a junkyard. Mine were so solid I literally broke one in half trying to take it apart.

'RIDE TO BE SEEN'

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist is?

"I never saw him".
post #63 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1200A
Send a message via Yahoo to copper204
Post imported post

Ok now I am freaked out.. I went and started bike today. I let it warm up till fan came on. No smoke at all? weird? Should I still go ahead and replace that head gasket?

I couldnt get it to smoke more than an itty bit?

Be like me: LIVE YOUR LIFE IN SUCH A MANNER. THAT WHEN YOUR FEET HIT THE FLOOR. THE DEVIL SIGHS AND SAYS, "OH DANG HE\'S AWAKE"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:59 AM

Post imported post

As you know, I am FAR from an expert on these matters. But I have read more than once that Sea Foaming an engine makes it smoke initially. Perhaps that was where the smoke was coming from?
post #65 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I am starting to lean that way. I do not recall others reacting this way when i have done this. But I did go a little overboard this time....lol

Be like me: LIVE YOUR LIFE IN SUCH A MANNER. THAT WHEN YOUR FEET HIT THE FLOOR. THE DEVIL SIGHS AND SAYS, "OH DANG HE\'S AWAKE"

and
post #66 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:03 AM

Post imported post

You mean I might be CORRECT about a technical issue????

This isn't one of the 7 Signs, is it.....?
post #67 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I did see frogs falling out of air.... oh yeah they were jumping at the frog jump.....lol

and
post #68 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:21 AM

Post imported post

Are you sure it just wasn't running rich? Did you do a compression test?
When it was smoking was it water/coolant?

My bike has been doing the same thing..I think it's just carburetor issues. Sometimes the floats won't seal well and it will smoke like crazy. Basically any time you have an 1100 issue, it almost always goes back to those carbs!
post #69 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 AM

Post imported post

The toilet bowl cleaner is a good touch for cleaning. On mine, I used nuts, bolts, and washers, with kerosene in the tank. Then the work really started by hand shaking the tank forever, it felt like. I also found out later that I could have taken the fuel tank to a radiator shop to have it boiled out and cleaned. Thanks for the tip on the cleaning tank using walnut shell material. Your pictures remind me of what I had to do to bring back my bike from 20 years in a garage. Good work, keep it going!
post #70 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM

Post imported post

I used muriatic acid to clean the inside of my tank. Only took a couple hours and looked like new inside. About a 1:5 dillution.
I was scared to use acid at first, but am glad I did it that way. Fast and cheap. No need to shake it around and wait for hours or days with less aggressive chemicals.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page