Neon coil alternative for GL1000, 1100 & 1200 - Page 15 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:51 PM

Model: '84 GL1200
Thumbs up

It's been kind of crappy weather around here with the downpours so it has been the perfect time to do the neon coil mod. Everything went smoothly thanks to all the excellent info here (thanks dave0430). I know I previously posted about using automotive boots at the plug ends but I ended up re-using the resistor boots (resistance tests were good on all 4) mainly because they blocked off the area around the plugs to keep debris out. If I have any future problem with them, I'll switch to the automotive boot ends. The bike started up with just a touch of the start button and ran almost perfectly. I may have to adjust the idle speed but I want to take the bike out for a run before I make any adjustments.

Just an observation, I did a spark test before tear down and there was a barely visible spark across the 1/4" gap of the tester. After changing the coils and wires, there was a bright blue spark jumping across a 1/2" gap. The plug wires appeared to be original and were they ever brittle.

Here's to everyone who contributed to this thread. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM

Model: GL1100 Interstate
Hey guys, I finally tore into my '82 1100 interstate today, and thought I'd post my mistake so hopefully it will save someone else a little time. I did the conversion without taking my upper fairing off, just pulled the tank cover and air box. After getting it all back together, it fired right up. I tried to take it down the road, but as soon as I put a little load on the engine or tried to rev it, it sputtered and acted like it was dropping down to 2 cylinders working. I tore it all back apart, and discovered that there was a green wire that was originally grounded at the front side of the original coil mount. I was kinda working blind because of the upper fairing, and just didn't notice it. I grounded that wire, and now the bike runs better than ever before. One other thing to mention, my bike had a large ceramic resistor, which looked kinda like the ones used in old chevys. I did leave it inline, just in case.
In my opinion, this upgrade is well worth the time and money. I purchased a new coil and a set of bosch plug wires from Herko down in Miami, and including shipping it cost me less than $35.
post #143 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Senior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromo View Post
Found any easy way to bypass a CDI box on an 86 1200 yet?
I need to fire my coils and get some spark.

As for points, probably already done, but may need a resistor to cut back from 12V to 6V to the points.
Most my older stuff had the resistors, when the resister goes bad the points get the full 12V or so and burn up in about 50-100 miles on the larger V8's I had.
File the points and run great for about 50-100 miles then file again, etc... till I get the new resistor somewhere.

I have worked on many GL1200's and I have never seen a CDI box on a 1200. The 1200 has pulse generators which send a signal to the ignition control unit that sends voltage to the coils, but, it does not have CDI (capacitive discharge ignition) unless your bike has been modified somehow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 PM

Model: GL1100
Smile GL1100 after modification stills looses spark intermitly

I have install new Neion coils , new wires and solder and srink wraped the wires to the coils. The bike now starts very easly and seems to have more power. I had also replaced the CDI because the old ones had melted. Now after running the bike at 65-70 mph for 8-10 miles the bike starts to miss again. Got back home and put spark testers on and the rear cylinders have interminted spark???. When it cools down it runs great again. I feel like I have a wiring issue to the rear cylinder coil. Thanks for the help!
post #145 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
You could have a pulse generator problem or it could be one of you ignitor boxes. Just because the tar melted out of your old ones doesn't mean they are bad. Try swapping one of the old ones with the 3-4 unit.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #146 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM

Dave, I have installed new replacement CDI from RMSTATOR and then put the old ones back on. The bike starts better with the old ones, I will switch them and see if it goes to 1 & 2. What is the Pulse Genarator? Thanks for your help!!
post #147 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushon View Post
Dave, I have installed new replacement CDI from RMSTATOR and then put the old ones back on. The bike starts better with the old ones, I will switch them and see if it goes to 1 & 2. What is the Pulse Genarator? Thanks for your help!!
The PGs are in the ignition unit on the rear of the engine under the fuel tank, the vacuum line from #3 carb goes to it.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #148 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
The PGs are in the ignition unit on the rear of the engine under the fuel tank, the vacuum line from #3 carb goes to it.
Got an Orignal Tech Manual from a buddy of mine tonight and will test the Pulse Genarators units tomorrow.I can not find anyone that has a replacement unit, looks like they are a unit by parts break down.
post #149 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
mod-erator

Garage
You will have to source a used one probably but the good news is they seldom fail on 1100s.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #150 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 PM

Model: '82 GL1100 (bagger) & '77 GL1000 (gettin' nekid)
Tat is a good thing. To get tot the pulse generator you have to pull the swing arm. No huge deal if you have the swing arm bolt removal tool, just a PITA.

Keith
Kansas City
Missouri, USA

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page