Neon coil alternative for GL1000, 1100 & 1200 - Page 20 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 191 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I can now say with certainty a neon coil will work on a 1000. Got my 76 running but no fire to #3, sparks were jumping at the coils. I tried a set of 1100 coils, which work but there is not enough room for them. I checked the amp draw on bot the stock coils and the 80-81 1100 coils, both about 5 amps at idle, the neon coils draw considerably more. I added a ballast resistor from the 1100 coils, 1.5 ohms to the neon coil, in series in the black/white wire and now they draw about 4 amps. Checked spark with my spark tester on the 1100 coils, set at 20K there is a weak spark, on the neon coils at the same setting you can hear the spark, snap. I did have to cut about 2" off the intake horn to make room and built a bracket for the coil. I had already added a relay for the ignition and just use the kill switch to trigger the relay. I do intend to open up the plug gap since there is now plenty of spark.
LarryC and bobalou like this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page