B-Girl - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

This is in my office is signed by Big Daddy himself. I had a very nice conversation with him a couple years before he died.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 AM

Location: Birsay, Orkney Isles 59degN 3degW, , United Kingdom
Post imported post

Hi Steve,

Looks like she's progressing nicely in the time you've had. Should there be some kind ofwarning or censorship now she's down to her underwear? It might scare folk when they realise what's underneath them when riding. Oops... I mean... Oh well, I'll put the shovel away then.

The only thing I'm really envious of is that Bridgeport Mill sitting grinning at me, rotary table, normal vise and all! I have to make do with a 1ES and vertical head - which is a pain to change over.

Keep up the great work, I LOVE this kind of article.

Regards,
Ian and Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 05:57 AM

Post imported post

popular sience or popular mechanics, i don't remember but one of them got me kicked out of high school for three days

iba 58509-mile eater
HAT
MOA
'75CB750K,'79cb750f,'79CB750/9k,
'93gl1500se,
'85CB450SC,'05SunL70
'06ST1300a........william
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Banned

Post imported post

Orcadian wrote:
Quote:
The only thing I'm really envious of is that Bridgeport Mill sitting grinning at me...
I noticed that too. Nice, ain't' it. I'd love to have one in my garage. Would make small portions of my life a lot easier and more enjoyable.

post #35 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I'm sorry this post is so late tonight, I had to help my Rotary club with their Winter Dazs float. But what could be more fun than handing out candy to other people's little kids just before bedtime.

I must've gotten a lot done today based on the mess my shop is in. I spent about four hours and finished disassembling the bike. That doesn't make for very exciting photographs but I do have a couple of things I wanted to show you.

This photograph makes it obvious why I put the 9 inch cube of two by fours under the engine. The two by fours are screwed together with three-inch screws. By doing it this I was able to disassemble the whole bike and then lift the frame off of the engine. Now I have an engine sitting on a workbench ready to be worked on. All the posts about disassembling carburetors to get the engine out are true if you're only taking the engine out. But if you're going to disassemble the bike for complete rebuild like this one, I think this is the better way to go.

The other thing I want to show you is that I always try to wrap up the fragile parts and all the chrome parts in newspaper. I mark each package so that I know what's inside and I tape a list of the contents to the out side of the tub.

People's comments about my mill caused me to think a little bit about how I'm going to do this bike. The whole premise of this thread was to have a discussion about how to build an inexpensive motorcycle. Normally when I'm building a bike if I come across, for instance a throttle cable where the chrome is all rusted out like this bike has, all I have to do is go to the shelf and grab a better one. The normal person doesn't have the inventory of parts that I do so in order to keep this build true to the premise of this thread I'm going to refrain from doing that. Instead I will use the least expensive techniques I can think of to refurbish the part.

Refurbishing parts that would normally be tossed is time intensive but rewarding work. This will have an impact on the design of the bike, as the chrome is in pretty tough shape. So I'm going to build the bike with more painted parts and less chrome. Right now I'm leaning towards black with some red highlights. But I'm open to suggestions.

Tomorrow is supposed be fairly warm, at least for a Wisconsin winter. After I'm done cleaning the shop I will probably sand blast the frame and the parts that are too big to fit in my sand blast cabinet. This is an outside project and when the weather's too cold my home built sand blaster freezes up.

Steve

post #36 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:29 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing SE
Garage
Post imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Quote:
Kool!
I am also building an 1100 out of parts I have mostly. Other than a few soft parts and fluids it will be totally out of used parts from other bikes. I figure to have less than $100 bucks in it when it's road ready. Won't be pretty though, I am not painting anything or even cleaning anything much.
This we have to see... post B4 and After photos of this too please.

USN RET
CT Patriot Guard
1997 GL1500 SE Pearl Green
If it ain't fun, why do it?

“Lest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today.
As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer Was I Worth Dying For?”
[Eleanor Roosevelt]
post #37 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Psalmist
Post imported post

Steve,
I was in your town this summer on my way to my mom's in Marquette. Lots of road construction and the Honda shop wanted $20 per headlight bulb. At least the mgr said you can buy them cheaper at Autozone. Then some of them went into a big fuss against using Delo400 or ANY auto oil.
Bryce, we might do a ride this summer up that way. Steve, you think you might keep it for a few months? I'd like to see it in person when she's done.

Dino

Dino Hutchings
Fort Smith, AR
1999 pearl silver SE
Still trying to be pleasing before Jesus
Come to Arkansas and ride year round!
post #38 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:02 AM

Post imported post

Clicked watch, looks great
post #39 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:55 AM

Post imported post

Boy......you sure took B-girl apart quick. I look forward to watching your progress each day when I return home from work......

Very nice work environment! I would show you a photo of my shop.....but it would be a photo of a driveway.

I shall live vicariously through this thread,
RED

post #40 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:01 AM

Post imported post

waiting with eyes wide open for daily post. i think this is a excellent post and appreciated

by mini of us out there.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page