I'm sorry this post is so late tonight, I had to help my Rotary club with their Winter Dazs float. But what could be more fun than handing out candy to other people's little kids just before bedtime.
I must've gotten a lot done today based on the mess my shop is in. I spent about four hours and finished disassembling the bike. That doesn't make for very exciting photographs but I do have a couple of things I wanted to show you.
This photograph makes it obvious why I put the 9 inch cube of two by fours under the engine. The two by fours are screwed together with three-inch screws. By doing it this I was able to disassemble the whole bike and then lift the frame off of the engine. Now I have an engine sitting on a workbench ready to be worked on. All the posts about disassembling carburetors to get the engine out are true if you're only taking the engine out. But if you're going to disassemble the bike for complete rebuild like this one, I think this is the better way to go.
The other thing I want to show you is that I always try to wrap up the fragile parts and all the chrome parts in newspaper. I mark each package so that I know what's inside and I tape a list of the contents to the out side of the tub.
People's comments about my mill caused me to think a little bit about how I'm going to do this bike. The whole premise of this thread was to have a discussion about how to build an inexpensive motorcycle. Normally when I'm building a bike if I come across, for instance a throttle cable where the chrome is all rusted out like this bike has, all I have to do is go to the shelf and grab a better one. The normal person doesn't have the inventory of parts that I do so in order to keep this build true to the premise of this thread I'm going to refrain from doing that. Instead I will use the least expensive techniques I can think of to refurbish the part.
Refurbishing parts that would normally be tossed is time intensive but rewarding work. This will have an impact on the design of the bike, as the chrome is in pretty tough shape. So I'm going to build the bike with more painted parts and less chrome. Right now I'm leaning towards black with some red highlights. But I'm open to suggestions.
Tomorrow is supposed be fairly warm, at least for a Wisconsin winter. After I'm done cleaning the shop I will probably sand blast the frame and the parts that are too big to fit in my sand blast cabinet. This is an outside project and when the weather's too cold my home built sand blaster freezes up.