Post imported post

You're the man. Teach us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Old Broad

Year: 1995
Make: Yamaha Virago
Model: 1985 GL1200 I w/LTD body(SOLD :( )
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to fysty-1
Post imported post

Quote:- "Growing up is overrated. The problem I have is that the 60-year-old and the mirror has a hard time getting along with the 19-year-old in my head. Steve"

Steve that is exactly how I feel but for me it is 64 & 25. Oh BTW, The premise of your project sounds great and will be a watching. & I do have your site in my favs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angela, aka fysty-1(R) & Dani(L), S.Surrey, B.C.
1985 Gold Wing GL1200 I(SOLD Apr/2012)
No matter how blue it may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky.
Blue is not the fastest color, but it is the prettiest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(women only)
post #43 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

While today's been interesting day. I walked into the shop to discover that a waterline had froze and broke. Once I had that cleaned up I got out the sandblaster and the portable heater and went after B-girl's frame. But I couldn't keep the sandblaster from freezing up

I decided to go after it with a wire brush on a grinder and rol-lock scrubby's on a right angle die grinder. I also tried some heavy duty stripper. All of the techniques worked a little bit, but none of them work really well.

So here's some pictures and I'll have to finish it up tomorrow.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Post imported post

Well, you got it down to nothing pretty quick. It looks like it will be going together soon. That is if you can find a place warm enough to paint that frame [perfect time to have a nice paint booth], but your shop looks like a nice place to paint withot a booth.

Dave
Ride Safe and Ride Often, Keep the Shiny Side up and Many Happy Miles and Smiles.

In God We Trust; All Others Must pay Cash!!!

Current Goldwing 2016 Gl1800 Matte Silver

Other Rides

2007 Honda 110cc

Past Rides

2 1985 Goldwing Aspencades, 2006 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 2006 Goldwing Navi, 2007 Honda Rebel, 1994 1500cc Goldwing Interstate, 2010 Gl1800 Trike, 1997 GL1500 SE, 2012 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
post #45 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

lionelgo50 wrote:
Quote:
Well, you got it down to nothing pretty quick. It looks like it will be going together soon. That is if you can find a place warm enough to paint that frame [perfect time to have a nice paint booth], but your shop looks like a nice place to paint withot a booth.
and just what makes you think I don't have a paint booth?

Steve

post #46 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 03:58 AM

Location: Birsay, Orkney Isles 59degN 3degW, , United Kingdom
Post imported post

Hello again Steve,

It's coming along really well! Sorry you had a burst pipe - Lots of folk are having those at the moment, it went from minus 20 to plus8 (-4 to +46 F)in some places in the Scottish Highlands in the last couple of days.

You said in an earlier post that you were rethinking about refurbing more stuff instead of replacing - this is one of those problems we've faced many times over the years - you have stuff which is not quite good enough for using, but too good to throw away. I have moved more to refurbing, even if the time involved is financially not worth it (I'm retired!)

Another thing in keeping with your theme is making stuff from scrap materials - something I'm sure you already do. I realise that will come in for some deserved criticism from folk who don't have well equipped workshops or the skills necessary, but hang on a minute - I bet there's an old guy in the neighbourhood with those tools and skills who would gladly trade a morning of his work for you clearing his drive with that snow blower you have in the corner - or whatever else he needs help with. I don't know what the exchange rate is for those jobs, but a bit of lateral thinking will get you fixed up.

Just noticed you have an upper floor in the shop - I bet that staircase is electrically retractable!

Regards,
Ian and Christine

post #47 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Post imported post

lionelgo50 wrote:
Quote:
SuperSkypilot wrote:

and just what makes you think I don't have a paint booth?

-----------------------------

I don't know if you have a paint booth or not. I'm just saying as cold as it is with snow on the ground it would be perfect to have a paint booth. Just looking at the picture with your frame into your shop. If you don't have a paint booth looks like you can paint in the shop. A paint booth would be ideal, but not many people that are hobbiests or just like to rebuild cars or bikes have a paint booth at home or in their shops. Most people buying bikes for under $1000.00 to fix-up wouldn't have the extra $20,000 or more for a nice paint booth to paint their project bike or car when they needed to paint it once or twice. If you have a booth it's definately a nice place to paint something this time of year, or any time. If you don't there are other options available, so you don't have to wait for warm weather to paint.

I'm looking forward to following your build and enjoy seeing results of a good project like this. Keep up the great Work!!!!

Dave
Ride Safe and Ride Often, Keep the Shiny Side up and Many Happy Miles and Smiles.

In God We Trust; All Others Must pay Cash!!!

Current Goldwing 2016 Gl1800 Matte Silver

Other Rides

2007 Honda 110cc

Past Rides

2 1985 Goldwing Aspencades, 2006 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 2006 Goldwing Navi, 2007 Honda Rebel, 1994 1500cc Goldwing Interstate, 2010 Gl1800 Trike, 1997 GL1500 SE, 2012 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
post #48 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:11 PM

Post imported post

Yosemite Sam ha! "I hate that rabbit." That's a hoot. Geez bummer you couldn't make the blaster work. Maybe you can go back to it later. Let's talk fuel delivery. If we're on a budget then wouldn't the cheapest way to go be refurbishing the carbs? I'm thinking single Weber but that might not fit with your concept. Also, what'cha gonna shoot on the frame?
post #49 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

escogold wrote:
Quote:
Yosemite Sam ha! "I hate that rabbit." That's a hoot. Geez bummer you couldn't make the blaster work. Maybe you can go back to it later. Let's talk fuel delivery. If we're on a budget then wouldn't the cheapest way to go be refurbishing the carbs? I'm thinking single Weber but that might not fit with your concept. Also, what'cha gonna shoot on the frame?
Most likely will go with refurbishing the carbs, but until I work out the details on the heads, I won't be able to decide which carburetors. The single Webber would be good if the carburetors were shot but they don't appear to be.

I'm finishing the frame with gloss black chassis paint. It's easy to shoot doesn't, require clearcoat and I have a half a quart here.

Today I'm working on the rear cover issues on the 1200 engine so far everything is turning out wonderful. There'll be a post tonight.

Steve

post #50 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Just in case any of you snowbirds are missing Wisconsin we have been having a winter weather event all day long. They’re predicting 18” by tomorrow here And I already have 3’ high drifts in the driveway.

Today I began work on the engine. There are a couple of things that needed to be done to make the 1200 engine work in the 76 frame. The 1200 engine doesn’t have a groove for the snap ring that holds the u-joint on like the 76 engine dose. And the pulse generator on this 84 1200 will interfere with the frame and the swingarm on the 76 frame. The 86/87 engines don’t have this problem because the pulse generator is mounted on the front of the engine.

The first step was to remove the pulse generator and rear cover from the 1200 engine. My system for keeping track of the bolts on a cover like this is to make a drawing like the one pictured below in the build log. The “1” at the top on the drawing indicates the first bolt. The arrow indicates the order the bolts were taken out. I lay each bolt along the edge of the paper and mark the end of the bolt. Under each mark is a list of the bolts that are that length. When I get to a bolt that is a different length a new mark is made and the numbers of the bolts that are that length are listed below it.

With the cover off you can see the pulse generator shaft coming out of the end of the crankshaft.

When I remove it you can see the o-ring on the crankshaft end of the shaft and the shoulder on the rear cover end of the shaft. The shaft has to stay in place because it's restricting the oil flow out of the end of the crankshaft. Without it the oil will gush out and the oil pressure to the rod bearings will be low. But we don't want it just sticking out of the rear case cover ether. The shoulder rides against the bearing in the rear case cover to hold the shaft in place.

So I cut the shaft on a chop saw at the outboard and of the bearing journal and then chanffeured the cut to get rid of any burrs. This solves clearance problem caused by the pulse generator but I'll have to make a plate to cover the exposed bearing.

The final drive shaft just pulls out. I also removed the final drive shaft from the 1000 engine. As you can see they are identical except for the o-ring grove. I mike’d the bearing journals on both ends of bolt shafts and they match to within about .0005. The shafts are also the same length and the springs have the same number of coils. So that solves the snap ring problem all I have to do is swap out the shafts.

I reinstalled the rear cover and bolted down with two bolts. Because I will be painting this and I don't want all of the bolt heads painted I will wait until after the painting is done to install the rest of bolts.
Now I needed to make an aluminum plate to cover the pulse generator shaft. To start with I took a 1/4” thick scrap aluminum and using the plastic pulse generator spacer as a pattern I center punched the bolt holes. Next I drilled pilot holes using an eighth inch bit. I screwed the plastic spacer, the aluminum and a piece of gasket paper to a piece of three-quarter inch plywood. With everything screwed together I clamped the whole works, plywood up, to the drill press table. Then I used the router with a tracer bit to cut out the aluminum part.

Now I have a nice cover for the pulse generator bearing and a perfectly matching gasket. All I need to do now is to polish it.

The back of the engine is all set and should bolt in without any problems. Tomorrow after I dig out the driveway I will start on the heads. It’s going to take a lot of work to to figure out which head will give the best performance. I’m convinced that some of the information that has been put out on the net is wrong and I’m suspicious of some of the performance claims around using the 1000 heads on a 1200 motor.

Stay tuned.

Steve

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page