Post imported post

this is great learning alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

escogold wrote:
Quote:
The typical performance quests: increased hp, torque vs. reliability, fuel economy, drivability, cost/value.
Don't forget the meaning of life.

Because the bikes don't have a huge resale value, there isn't much market for performance parts that would likely cost more to develop thing could be recovered in sales.

There's been a lot of talk about swapping heads on these bikes but I'm even more convinced today that the information that's been available is misleading.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Post imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Quote:
Lightin wrote:
Quote:
Por boy Paint booth PVC pipe for frame and door. Painters plastic, cheap Box fan with $3.00 AC filter
...and duct tape. Don't forget the duct tape.
How in the world did i over look that

John3:16
The Road is long winding hilly flat hot cold sun stars AINT IT FUN!!!!
1st bike 125HD in 1969
250Honda Dream
750Honda
10 HD
89aspencade
1994 GL 1500 Trike
Past
-------------------
91HD Maybe Trike project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Well I didn't get a lot done today but I did get three heads cleaned up and a couple things are obvious.

If you put a 1000 head on a 1200 engine you'll have a lower compression ratio than either the stock 1200 or the 1000. It turns out that, contrary to what's been talked about on the site, that the 1200 has the smallest combustion chamber of the group.

It also has the lowest stock compression ratio. That's at least partly because the pistons have the smallest dome on the tops.

It'll take some doing to figure out what the actual compression ratio of 1200 engine with a 1000 heads on it will be. And to determine if the lower compression ratio will be outweighed by the bigger valves in the larger cam.

It does look to me as though it would be possible to put the mechanical lifters on the 1200 engine instead of the hydraulic lifters. I would have to modify the oil gallery to get oil to the cam and rocker arm shafts.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 07:36 PM

Post imported post

Ken if you swap the 1000 head (with the larger chamber) onto the 1200 motor wouldn't that drop the CR?

Ya Steve I figured the dearth of performance mods was due to demand/supply but I welcome any ideas. Most topics on the tech forum seem to deal with the challenges of diagnostics, repairs. Solid lifters? Good thinking but, performance vs. practicality not so much.
post #66 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I Ken Bergen wrote:
Quote:
Don't you have that reversed Steve?
If you compress 300cc of fuel/air mixture into a combustion chamber designed for 250cc that would raise the compression ratio not lower it would it not?
If the pistons are domed or dished that would change the chamber volume but I believe all the Goldwing 4's used flat top pistons.
Ken

The issue isn't how many cc the engine is designed for its the volume of the combustion . The 1200 has a smaller combustion chamber, considerably smaller than the 1000. Also both engines have dome top pistons. But the pistons from the 1200 have a smaller dome.

What it amounts to is that your taking a combustion chamber that was design to work with a piston that has a larger dome and putting it on an engine that has smaller domed pistons.

here's a picture of a 1200 pistons, you can see the slight dome.

and here's a picture of the 1000 piston.

I'm not sure how I'm going to calculate the volume of the domes, but I'll have to figure out something. Perhaps I can do something with modeling clay and I have to rig up a way to cc the heads. I also need to measure the deck height on the 1200 engine. One things for sure just slapping a 1000 head on a 1200 engine isn't the answer.

Steve

post #67 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Post imported post

I cant claim to know anything about calculating Comp ratio . You mention the piston dome is smaller on the 1200 and its easy to see in the pictures . I think thats not the total question though , because yes its a smaller dome but the piston is larger diameter and longer stroke . Therefore it is moving a larger volume . You may have a calculator if not and for others who may want to play with numbers here is a link to an online calculator . : RSR Static Compression Ratio Calculator and another :Engine Compression Ratio (CR) Calculator

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #68 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Banned

Post imported post

SuperSkypilot wrote:
Quote:
One things for sure just slapping a 1000 head on a 1200 engine isn't the answer.
...that's what I've been saying. "...Most can't handle the math involved."

Certainly not saying you cannot SSP. It's consuming, but enjoyable...

post #69 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
Quote:
I cant claim to know anything about calculating Comp ratio . You mention the piston dome is smaller on the 1200 and its easy to see in the pictures . I think thats not the total question though , because yes its a smaller dome but the piston is larger diameter and longer stroke . Therefore it is moving a larger volume . You may have a calculator if not and for others who may want to play with numbers here is a link to an online calculator . : RSR Static Compression Ratio Calculator and another :Engine Compression Ratio (CR) Calculator
Thanks for the links Mike they will be helpful. I hope I can get all of the numbers together tomorrow.

Steve

post #70 of 609 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 PM

Post imported post

Can't say I'm the brightest mathematician around but I would figure that if you install the head and turn the piston all the way down. Have the cam disconnected so the valves dont open. Rig up some type of water pitcher with a hose out the bottom. Hook up the hose like a compresion tester to the cylinder. Fill the cylinder with water until it is full and water is in the pitcher and mark the side. Turn the engine till the piston is fully up and remark the pitcher. Then all you need to do is calculate the colume between the two line and you don't need to worry about calculating a dome seems a cylinder of water would be easier to calculate than the dome.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page