Today's menu includes a healthy helping of crow.
I CCed the cylinder heads today. Here's how I did. I started with a 4 x 4 sheet of Lexan and a veterinary syringe.
After drilling in eighth inch hole near the top of the plastic I smeared a little bit of grease around the edges of the combustion chamber.
The grease is used to seal the Lexan plate to the head.
With the plastic seated in the grease and the head tilted slightly so that the hole in the plastic is near the top of the cylinder. I filled the combustion chamber with colored water using the syringe. The head was tilted so that any air pockets moved out through the hole in the plastic plate
I recorded the number of cc of water it took to fill the combustion chamber. I repeated this process three times to make sure I had an accurate reading. I repeated this process with the 1200 head.
To my absolute amazement both combustion chambers were about the same size within a CC or so.
I used about the same technique to fill the cylinder with colored water to calculate the volume of the piston dome. With that information in hand I was able to use a compression ratio calculator to determine that the compression ratio with the GL1000 head on the 1200 engine block would be about 9 to 1.
Next I set up a dial indicator to check the lift on both the GL 1000 and the GL 1200 cams. The lift on the GL 1000 was .275 for the intake and .261 for the exhaust. On the GL 1200 the intake lift was .227 and the exhaust lift was .228. I didn't profile the cams and I'm not sure that I will the GL 1000 has substantially higher left on both the intake and exhaust and I doubt that there is anything that could be done to the profile of the 1200 cam that would make it outperform the 1000 cam.
I'm not surprised at the cam profile differences but I would've sworn that the GL 1200 combustion chamber was smaller than the GL 1000. I guess that's why you need to measure everything, looks can be so deceiving.
Tomorrow I'm going to investigate milling a little bit off of the GL 1000 head to see if I can up the compression ratio. I also plan to get to heads refurbished and ready to go.