First time rider tips... - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Garage
Post imported post

rmiller

I always tell people to buy a dirt bike, or a small road worthy 250cc (approx) to learn on. The MC you have is not for a beginner.

Take a riding class before you take that 1100 out for any real ride. It will help you and maybe even save you in the long run.

Please be careful

I don\'t care what you ride, just ride.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them--Thomas Jefferson

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves...Abraham Lincoln.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Heathen Darksider # 771.
Falken 912 NRF @44psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Model: 2008 GL1800
Post imported post

Put the sidestand down before you get off of the bike. Don't ask me how I know.

Brian

Brian

2008 Dark Cherry GL 1800Navi/ABS (Just got it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

2005 Dark Metalic Gray GL1800 (Not any more)

The fastest colors are Red and Blues in your rear view!!

Thin Blue Line-The Sheepdog that protects the Sheep from the Wolves.

How do I get a Posse?! (Country Mountain Inn, ES7)

I almost got some, but then she woke up! (ES 8)

It's my birthday today! (ES 9)

Proud Member Wlid Rhino's
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 06:27 PM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL-1800A
Garage
Post imported post

Combine all the responses above into an attitude.

Your attitude before you get on the bike will affect your riding habits and skills. Learn it the right way the first time so you don't have to unlearn bad habits.

Each time you go out, go the same routine. Develop your own routine but make sure it's inclusive of all the recommended items above and add in some of what you like too.

I clean my windscreen and face shield each time I ride with pledge and a micro fiber cloth. That's the last thing I do, right after my butler cup, lol My wife thinks I'm insane for the method but it works for me.

Of course I start off with things like tire pressure checks, oil/antifreeze checks. Warm up engine while checking lights and inspecting the tires for debris that doesn't belong or cuts. Verifying my gear is all there, in good working order and packed where I want it. I always carry a tool kit, rain suit, map and first aid kit. Usually some spare cash and a spare key for the bike.

Good luck, ride safe and be defensive at all times. Make sure you have a way out at all times, even at traffic lights or stop signs. One foot down, bike in 1st gear and ready to launch if the need arises.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GWRRA 327965
Rider Ed Level 4 #8529 (Master)
Darksider #1491
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 PM

Post imported post

You and others may not like whatI have to say, but you asked.

If you have never ridden before, you have no business on an 1100. Learn on a small bike. Ride in the dirt. Thereare so many things that cannot be taught. I've been riding for 50 years and have had dozens of close calls that were only avoided by instantly reacting with instinct and experience. Many of these incidents would not havebeen survivable if I had had to think about what to do. I am oftenasked for advice by middle aged or older guys who just have to have a Harley and most often I discourage them from making the purchase.

NOT EVERYONESHOULD BE RIDING A MOTORCYCLE!

"Fire all of your guns at once and explode into space"

Remember, when using any forum, that owning a keyboard and having an internet
connection does not make anyone an expert.
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 03:29 PM
BC

Post imported post

Anyone can make a cycle go faster, all you have to do is twist the throttle. Only a person that has practiced the routine can make a cycle STOP QUICKLY. Go into a parking lot and practice stopping, then practice some more, and more and more.
I have saved my own butt and my passenger more than once by practicing for the all to often occurance of some jerk pulling out in front of me.
Make you bike as visible as possible. I have a headlight modulator, tail light modulator, extra LED tail lights,& air horn on my Wing.
Ride like everyone is trying their hardest to kill you. You may be paranoid but it does not mean that you are wrong.
Steveonski likes this.

Keep riding, it keeps you young.
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 03:36 PM
everyday member

Model: 1982 GL 1100 I
Garage
Post imported post

FeButter has a good point. Motorcycles are not for everyone. Find a cheap 250 to 450 bike that you can learn to ride on. Find a friend that has YEARS of experience and that you can trust to help you into riding safely. Take a riders coarse and PAY ATTENTION to what is taught. Get into a safe routine and stay with it. Practice in traffic when you have mastered the parking lots and back roads. Riding is the best when you are confident, experienced, and knowledgeable. People will tell you that if you take it easy, you can learn of the wing. Don't believe it. You may be able to ride it and get to where you want to go but all it takes is for one cager that is texting to end your riding career in a blink of an eye if you are not properly prepared to ride a 780 pound mass of machine. The older we get, the longer it takes to heal and the more it hurts.

Keep your stick on the ice. Red Green
U.S.Navy 1971 -1975
post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Senior Something

Year: 1979
Model: GL 1000
Garage
Post imported post

AS with the above few posts. Take the class, which is really too short if you ask me, and the bikes they supply are small, and won't help much in transferring that experience to your 1100. Practice around home and the parking lots. Try to find a friend that rides that could help you out. I had about 10 years experience with the smaller bikes, most of it on the dirt. I commuted 60 miles for work on the 350 for 3 years on the Los Angeles freeways then quit riding for the kids. 25 years later this 1000 fell into my lap and I can tell you It was like learning how to ride all over again. It did come back fairly quick but I didn't feel relaxed for a month or so. having fun in the twisties now, still pull over if some clown is too close behind me or closing the gap way to fast.

Happy Trails

My pic's

post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Post imported post

"You will go where you look" is by far the greatest truism in biking. They will mention it in MSF but won't give it the prominence it deserves. Keep it in the forefront of your mind until it becomes second nature. It's easy from there.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Post imported post

From a near-newbie (Aug 2010) to a newbie, take the MSF course and practice on a non-goldwing. I bought a 750 spirit and took the course. I don't recommend larger than 750 to start - it was about right size for me. When my wife rode on back, it took more effort to control the bike at slower speeds. I went out and bought a new Goldwing in February and she came along for the ride. My gut said no, but she said yes. I ended up dropping (hard) the bike leaving the stop sign. So I'm back to practicing without her right now and feeling more confident and in control of the bike. Maybe in another month she'll join me for a good ride.

Brian

2005 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
2010 Honda Goldwing Titanium
Found out what I\'ve been missing...only took 44 1/2 years.
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Year: 1991
Model: 1991, made in the USA!
Garage
Post imported post

When you've learnt to balance, used the controls smoothly, and have confidence in your ability....Head out on the highway and enjoy....Oh, one more thing...Trust nobody else using the same road as you....And watch out for the nut holding the handlebars....He's your biggest threat!....

If it aint broke?....don\'t fix it?....keep riding it!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page