First time rider tips... - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 04:52 PM

Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Post imported post

There is some good reading and good advise. The 2 things too remember have been said already. You are invisable and look where you want to go. I do not agree with starting out with a smaller bike. a big bike does not handle the same as a small bike. learn on what you want to ride. In 73 the first bike I rode was a71 500 triple Kawasaki which was the biggest and fastest of the time. pay attention to your postion on the road in relationship to other cars. Example: if you are riding on a 2 lane following a car, pay attention to the distance between you and the car. not just being too close but also being too far behind that a car will be invited to turn in front of you. people have a hard time judging speed of small vehicles

RIDE\' em IF YOU GOT\' em
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 05:25 PM

Post imported post

i have been reading to try to find out how to get your bike up when it goes down..mine has gone down 2 times..one my falt .the kick stand wasnt all the way down in the garage..the other when my son stopped fast at the end of a drive way on i was a bit to close .no one hurt an not the bike just my pride ..thanks richr
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Post imported post

i saw that there was a video on how to do it but dont know where to find it..thanks richr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 PM

Post imported post

rmiller788 wrote:
Quote:
I have never ridden a motorcycle and I am looking for some tips on getting into riding. I plan on taking a Motorcycle Safety Class to get some saftey tips and get my License endorsement, but there are always those little things that help as you get started riding.

If you can remember back to when you first started riding or something you learned just last week that made a world of difference in your riding, please post on this thread. This would mean the world to me and probably help others in the same position.

Thank you for anything you can add!!

Safety doesn't happen by accident.

I didn’t read ALL of the responses here and I'm confident they are all sound but MY rule of thumb is "watch the other persons eyes" I have seen plenty of other drivers look right at me and never see ME!!!!!!!!!!! I watch their eyes and their actions and do what I believe to be appropriate maneuvers. NEVER take for granted that you are seen!!!!!!!!!!!!The MSF course will give all kinds of help.

If I had know grankids were this much fun, I would have had them FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!
post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 PM
CT

Post imported post

I learned to ride when I turned 50 I had never been on a bike before I took the MSF class and bought a honda 750 and practiced,practiced,practiced until I felt very confident on that bike it took about 1000 miles till I went and bought an ST1300 took a experienced riders course and do so every 2 yrs I now have my wing that I bought new and will continue to practice it never gets old so that I can.
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 PM

Model: 2006 Goldwing
Post imported post

I like the advice in this book: Total Control - High Performance Street Riding Techniques by Lee Parks. He also has some very good parking lot technique drills.

The book is geared towards sport bikes, but the advice is universal and will give you a great understanding of how/why bikes are built the way they are and how to operate them efficiently.

Welcome

Patriot Guard Rider
Titanium Wing: 2006 GL1800 Airbag
"You might ride fast, but never ride in a hurry."
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Model: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Post imported post

I took the MSF course last year. Do that first. My first bike was a FZ-1. Too powerful, and too small for me, but my fear kept me safe. Keep fear as needed until you improve and assume everyone is trying to kill you.

Is it just me or are Prius drivers the worst?

I used to be jealous of men like me.

Brand Spankin New Patriot Guard Member.
post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 PM

Post imported post

Also consider buying Jerry Palladino's "Ride Like a Pro" CD and practicing the maneuvers he shows on it.

2005 GL1800 (Silver)
post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 PM

Year: 1985
Model: 1985 GL1200 LTD
Garage
Post imported post

Coming from probably the least experienced (aside from you of coarse) rider here, these guys have all hit the nail on the head. Where ever your head is pointed is where you go, and NOBODY see's you, so make sure you are never beside other cars, be an ass if you have to and rabbit out in front of everyone. I took the class, VERY worth it. I also started on a shadow 500, I'm 6' 190lbs, that bike was even a little too big for me to start on, but I got the hang of it in about two weeks. Another thing I learned that they didn't even cover in the class... throttle control. You have to be smooth and delibrate with your throttle. You'd be amazed how easy it is to put too much or too little throttle in and the bike will react violently. That was the hardest part for me, the rest is covered very well in the class. Good luck, and you really should consider a smaller bike to start.

1985 LTD.... 121,000 miles and counting

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." _ Ben Franklin

"Oops, that wasn't suppose to happen" _ Kevin (me)
post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 PM

Model: 2007 Gl1800 HPN
Post imported post

JMO but...that is not a beginners bike. As a new rider you are on such a sharp learning curve that dividing your attention between the peculiarities of a heavyweight bike and all the surprises out there on the road can (increased many fold for a new rider) have serious health risks. Take my advises for what you will...buy something smaller to start.

Shiny Side Up !
Jim

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page