GL1200 Engine Removal Video - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800
Send a message via Skype™ to wingnut
Post imported post

Anything will do as a hammer when you can't find the one you dropped.

I discovered a mistake in the text on the video. I mistakenly called the water pump cover the thermostat cover. I've updated the Youtube page to reflect this.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Post imported post

Nice clean overalls, do you use BOLD, DAZ, SURF or PERSIL and at what temp.?
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Well I had to make an effort for the video Brian.

Here is the article to go with that video;

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/1200engineremoval.htm

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Nice video! Any tips on why I cannot get the engine to come out of the right lower frame bracket? The engine movement is blocked by the gas tank and no matter where I locate the jack under the engine the engine will not rotate enough to allow removal from the frame. I guess my next step is to pull the rear wheel and driveshaft as that has always worked before but I'd really like to learn the trick of getting the engine out without removing the drivetrain.

.................................................. .................................................. ...........................

OK, just figured out what the trick is!!! I was trying to raise the engine over the right lower frame mount and this does not work. You must lower the engine mount lug below the the right lower frame mount bracket then slide the engine forward as you slide the u-joint rearward until it pops off. It is so nice to learn something new. I just hope that getting the u-joint back onto the engine shaft is not a nightmare upon installation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

That's the way to do it Vic, just jockey the engine off. Putting it back in and onto the driveshaft is a little easier.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Other side of the pond

Model: GL1800, GL1500SE, GL1200A
Post imported post

wingnut wrote:
Quote:
That's the way to do it Vic, just jockey the engine off.

That sums it up. A bit of pulling and twisting does the trick, there isn't really a scientific method. Having someone to help is essential.

Ted Kelly.
Current Wings; 2006 GL1800 & 1997 GL1500se.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Thanks guys, seems to be another Honda manual error. My Honda manual states that you must raise the engine mount boss up to clear the frame tabs but this is incorrect because the fuel tank prevents the engine from being raised enough to clear the frame tabs, instead, you must lower the engine mount boss below the frame tabs and then you can move the engine forward to disengage the u-joint. A simple thing, but, one that has kept me from changing engines the easier way for all these years as I always removed the rear wheel and driveshaft to replace a GL1200 engine. A toast to an old dogbeing able to learn something new everyday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I've done a good few of then Vic and always just pried them inwards and let the engine drop a bit with the jack underneath. The UJ has enough slack for the engine to fall away from it.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

As I've found out that is the correct way to do it Steve, but, the darn Honda manual say's to raise the engine up at that point of removaland it justwon't work that way. I have replaced 6 GL1200 engines and never had a problem until I decided to try it without removing the rear wheeland driveshaft, but, this time I decided to try it by just removing the engine according to the Honda Manual's instructions and it just would not work. Have a look at the manual excerpt and you'll see what I'm talking about. It say's raise the engine, but, actually itshould read lower the engine. This little fact makes a big, big difference and maybe all 6 other times I changed engines perhaps I just lowered the engine because it made sense but, this time,following the manual's instructions makes it impossible for the engine to come out,therefore, the manual displays another error.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine removal.bmp.jpg (28.7 KB, 19 views)

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Post imported post

That bit of guidance will help other 1200 owners.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page