I will start out with the fix for the fender & tail light bracket.
I cut two pieces of one inch flat stock on an angle to fit the top bar of the bracket. I clamped it with a pair of
vise grips just a bit lower than the top of the bracket.
The bottom of this then sits lower than the bottom of the top rail, that had the places that were ground out.
Aren't pictures great, what I can't explain become clear when you see the photos.
I then welded the sides and clamped the other side and did the same procedure to that.
My next objective is to grind the pieces to match the original top and side bars, so again it looks like one piece.
May be tomorrow I will get to that.
Something I never noticed on this bike was that someone along the line had destroyed the Back stand bracket.
They must not have been able to get the bolts loose or they didn't realize that the shaft holding it on had a
cotter pin through one end.
They cut the right side and bent the left side something terrible.
I came to the conclusion this needed to be fixed some how.
I went out to the shed and grabbed a frame from a 1978 that didn't have a good title and brought it into the garage.
I was going to scrap one of the frames anyway to make an
engine stand that I can use to check out the motors, so this will also be that frame.
I tipped the frame upside down and removed the stand from it. I was also going to remove the bracket from the
frame but after thinking about it I believe I will fix it a different way.
This brings us to a trick I learned from some where, it might have been on this site, but I can't remember.
Just in case I saw it somewhere else I will show you it here.
If you have to ever remove a spring from pins like that on a side or back stand stretch it out by moving the stand to the
position that pulls the spring to the maximum.
Then insert a screwdriver into one of the gaps in the spring.
Then push a penny into the gap you've created with the screwdriver.
Now skip one coil and do the same again.
It should look like this.
When you move the stand to the relaxed position the spring will basically falloff. No hard prying or broken knuckles.
My hat is off to who ever came up with this, it wasn't me, it is so useful in the shop.
After removing the spring, the stand came off very easy.
My fix on the hard tail frame is going to be to eliminate the clamps, weld large washers where the clamps were,
then make a new shaft that is slightly longer and hold it with a cotter pin.
Today I am off to "Herbs" a local bolt supplier that always has what ever I need in the way of fasteners.
What a great place seeing that Lowe's, Chase Pitkin, and Home depot have put all of our hardware stores out of business,
then they don't stock anything in the hardware department.
I might add that neither Lowe's, and Home depot has a good web site for searching, and Chase Pitkin is out of business.
I need to pick up some washers with a 3/4 inch inside hole to weld to the bracket. I also need some 8mm washers
for other bolts on the bike.