23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 367 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1996
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: 1996 GL1500SE
Garage
Arrow Ok!!! Darkside tell your side!!!!

I have read all the reports. But the truth is people who sit behind desks and write reports just don't really get much of the truth. So for the moment we are going to ignore them.

So here it is those of you who are riding the Darkside please tell me your Likes, Dislikes any problems you have had and which car tire you like the best and why.

This thread isn't for people to beat up on Darksiders we already know you don't like or trust them. Now what I want to know is how they feel and if they have changed your riding style and why they did so.

I am seriously thinking of going to the Darkside and I want the opinions and expertise of the people I trust not to steer me wrong. So tell me about why you love them so much...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

Always look for the door "C" it may be hidden but there is always one there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 367 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Pay attention to what he said.
IF you are not riding a car tire, do NOT post in this thread.
I will delete it.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 367 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:32 PM

I'm not at all so sure that I would have ever gone Dark on my 1500(it already is the best riding Wing),but after picking up the 1800 last year and experiencing the choppy/stiff ride of these bikes I decided to try it.I changed mostly for the ride and after approx. 750 klm's in the last couple of weekends I'm glad I did.The CT soaks up a lot of smaller bumps and after a couple of tanks I really don't notice a difference in handling other than the bike gets pushed around a bit(the MT did this too) during slow speeds and very uneven pavement.Tires possibly being cheaper and longer lasting is a bonus,but a secondary issue to me.Like I said I went Dark for the better/smoother ride.The Wife loves it.

Fatwing Chris
Darkside #1602
Gone Double Dark with a BT45
If I\'d have known it would last this long I would have taken better care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 367 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:46 PM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
I'm sure you saw this thread already, so no need to repeat all what I said about mine there or re-post the pics.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...000-miles.html

I only have experience with the Austone CT and E3 MT's on my 1500's so can't/won't say about other CT other than not all tires are created equal, and that goes for Motorcycle Tires also!
To just group all tires into 1 category like MT or CT is silly at the least.
A Shinko is not the same as an E3 or Avon even though all a MT!
A $50 2 pyl at Wally World is NOT the same as a $200 tire at Goodyear, even though both a CT!

I do my own tires! I have removed 3 E3's and the Austone, I can certainly say it was as hard or harder to break the bead on the Austone from the bike wheel as it is an E3!
I do it by hand with a manual HF changer so I know how much effort is required for me to break those beads manually!
I have no fear of the Austone coming off the rim if I ruin it somehow anymore than I would fear the E3 MT coming off the rim! The bead holds tight!
That is not to say it can't happen, but a MT will come off a rim also and that is a proven FACT!

Comparing the 3 E3's I have ran now on 3 different 1500's I can say I prefer the Austone in every way over an E3! All 3 E3's handled the same, and I did not/ do not like those so well. Still have E3 on the 99SE for now.
On the roads around home, and on trips also, the Austone does not track and wander in the road groves or ruts for me nearly as much as E3's.
Tar snakes I hardly notice etc... and ruts from heavy logging trucks no issue and often don't even notice them with the Austone.

There is no issue for me with twisties or wet roads or fast take offs on wet roads.
In all cases the Austone has out performed the E3's for me.
I have slipped an E3 on wet road starting out a bit hard, I really goosed it on a wet road making a left turn to avoid being hit by a car on a parking lot and the Austone held tight! I honestly think an E3 would have slide out from under me that time!

I do not stop for rain or thunder storms! I much prefer the Austone in bad storms! Knowing how the E3 has slipped on wet road taking off it just does not feel as safe in really hard rain and I am sure the braking power is not there as it should be! I run slower on the E3 in storms than I would on the Austone because I know how tight the Austone has held wet road from a dead stop and hard start!
Still any tire will Hydroplane in the right conditions so ride with sense! Not like me. LOL

I have ridden the same roads around home many times and the same 300+ mile round trips for tools or breakfast more than I can count. For tools it's almost all 4 lane and 65mph, there are areas of that road that the E3 does not handle as well as the Austone. E3 is ok, but Austone is better!
Going to Branson, MO for Breakfast is 2 lane 55mph with a decent amount of twisties. Not great road all the way but nice good ok road! Various odd repairs/patches, tar snakes, ruts, etc.. anywhere anytime. I get a better ride on the Austone when making that trip and many of the odd spots in the road I do not even notice unless I look at them! I can FEEL every odd spot when on the E3's.

On some curves on that Branson trip, and also the rural road I ride to the court house to get my titles done, check my P/O box etc.. the E3 can feel a bit spooky in some turns. The Austone does not! Taking some of the turns I will get a wiggle or almost slide feeling with the E3 as if it may slide out, the Austone does not do that!
I take those turns faster and smoother on the Austone than I ever do with the E3!

There is allot of loose sand/dirt/gravel at times in various places like drive ways, intersections with dirt roads, parking lots, etc... and when I hit that I can feel it far more with the E3 than the Austone! When it's in a curve or turn it can feel rather spooky with the E3 even riding slower!
I have a yield right turn intersection between the shop and home where there is always loose gravel from a uphill parking lot at a store. Can see for near a mile to the left so not allot of reason to slow too slow, but I have to slow more on the E3's than I slow on the Austone in that turn and I ride it often!

A couple VERY tight curves between home and shop also. I often grind the pegs when on the Austone, but I don't take them as hard on the E3's because the way they handle the road in those turns!
I have probably hit those turns 1500 times at least on both E3's and Austone being I was riding back and forth to the shop 2-3 times a day for a long time!

I have rode the 88 and 95SE on both E3's and Austone, and currently riding the 95SE on Austone near wear bars and the 99SE on a good E3. I prefer the ride of the 95SE with the Austone!
I may run into town in the morning on one 1500 and in the afternoon on the other 1500, so I can compare them close pretty close really!

I live 3/4 mile on rocky, clay, tossed out loose gravel, etc... dirt road. I can really tell the difference how much better the Austone handles this road compared to the E3 also when going in and out.

In the yard, I have a rough dirt drive and also park in grass allot, small to large rocks everywhere! The E3 slips in wet grass allot easier so 99 normally gets parked in the drive beside the wifes car. The Austone handles the wet grass much better so the 95 gets parked next to the shop trailer most often. It can be a bit spooky with either when they try to fall over when moving very slow and hit a rock turning, like backing up the little hill to turn around. Much worse with the E3. I actually dropped the 88 once with the E3 on it when it hit a patch of wet grass backing and rear tire slipped!

I have been almost coast to coast now on both E3 and Austone! I myself have never found any type riding or roads where I would consider an E3 to be any better than an Austone. Though an E3 is not a bad tire and I'll run them when the 1500's come with them, I think the Austone is a far better choice for me in every way!

I have only ridden my 3 1500's on E3's and Austone, so that is all I can honestly compare from REAL experience with my own riding of near 50K miles. That would be 50K miles of riding 1500's, does not count all the other miles, bikes, and other tires I have had over many many years.

Also, I only ride solo, but I do pack and load the bike down as if riding double! LOL

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
post #5 of 367 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Model: 1995 Interstate
With the sidecar my GL1500 had quite a thud when hitting the least bump, and if it were a large bump you'd think the whole rear was coming apart or out.
My CT eliminated about 60% of that, there are bumps on my street like a reverse speed bump and I would literally crawl across them. Not now
As for running the rear tire on the front, turned around backwards, I'm not so sure about that yet, roughly 3k miles and it already is showing some cupping. I think I'll turn it back around and run proper direction.
Fuel mileage increased app 1-2mpg from the MC tire. That we have documented, like John(AZgl1500) we are documenting every pennies worth of fuel and tires/oil, etc

1995GL1500 Interstate w/Champion Sidecar
1993 GL1500 I
1988 Vulcan 800A
1986 Yamaha Venture
N4RWM
post #6 of 367 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
The Austone is my only experience. Other than a bit of rubbing which does not really hurt anything, very happy with it.
It handles/rides VERY much like a MC tire, is quieter than a MC tire, as well as smoother on the road. I do not feel the need to slow down in the rain and have never felt unstable.
The only handling trait (which may have been there with a MC tire, I do not remember) is if I go on the painted lines the bike feels them, but it is like they are noticed and followed a bit? Hard to describe. But, it has never been uncomfortable
Cornering, even though it is slightly taller with slightly more ground clearance, I still comfortably scrape the edges of my boots.
MUCH easier (like it was ever hard anyway) to get on the center stand. Slightly more angle of lean on level ground.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #7 of 367 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
I am running a Pilot Activ rear tire on front, reversed direction. It also has 18k on it now with plenty of life left. No handling quirks, even in heavy rain.
It has a little cupping, but not enough to really notice at all.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #8 of 367 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 PM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
Me too!
My Pilot Activ was also on the 88 when the deer hit me, then I put the whole 88 wheel on the 95SE when I changed tires, so I lost track the miles on that also, but pretty many!
It did start cupping also, I was still riding it and probably would have as it was not that bad as I recall, but when I got the wrecked 1500 in CA it had a better tire on a chrome wheel so I changed it out there.
Another Pilot Active, used so don't know how many miles on it either.

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
post #9 of 367 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1996
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: 1996 GL1500SE
Garage
See these are the kind of things you don't normally hear in these discussions Thanks guys this really does help. I hope there are other people out there who use different tires.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

Always look for the door "C" it may be hidden but there is always one there...
post #10 of 367 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Belly Pan Man

Model: 03' gl1800
My darkside experience is limited to the Michelin alpin run flat and the Bridgestone bt-45.

I've ran the bt-45 both directions and i don't believe it makes any difference either way.

I will be putting on my third Michelin before I head out on my 6500 mile trip on June 6th.
I actually prefer the handling with the Michelin on the bike. I'm a late apex style of rider and the Michelin loves that. Some folks don't like the way the ct wants to stand up in the corners but I like that trait about them also. See ,I like to go into a corner hot throw it over late and throttle out of the corner hard and let the ct stand the bike up. Your not going to do that as well with an E3. At least not without it sliding!

The smooth ride is great, the safety that it's a runflat and the tire mileage just can't be beat.

I will never go back to a mt....

I make
and
for the GL1800.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page