Gl1500 carb rebuild - Page 10 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:47 PM

Model: 88 1500 53k
Yeah, if I ever remove those carbs again, I'm going to modify my angle needle nose to grab those heater hose clamps better :O also, I am getting 37 mpg still
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:11 PM

Model: 1975 GL1000(gone) 1980 GL1100 1996 GL1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyashton View Post
Yeah, if I ever remove those carbs again, I'm going to modify my angle needle nose to grab those heater hose clamps better :O also, I am getting 37 mpg still
Yep, that's what I did. The clamp on the left isn't too bad but the linkage bar is in the way of getting a straight shot to the right side.
Your 37 mpg is 2 better than what I avg no matter what I do besides staying off the throttle but I'm not that old yet
Mr Magic Fingers likes this.
post #93 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:20 PM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
Your 37 mpg is 2 better than what I avg no matter what I do besides staying off the throttle but I'm not that old yet

YUP!!! it's all in the wrist!

Tim

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1988 1500A.
TY. Spiralout:

I bought a set of needlenose this morning with the 45deg. It worked great for the left side hose. The right side hose a straight set worked fine along with getting the clamp on. Was actually dreading those two but they were not as bad as thought they were going to be. Thought of removing the fans...just in case but found they were not coming off the bike very easily. This old 88 is a california bike and the plumbing is unending. That was going to create a lot more work that it was worth. Thankfully the hoses slide on easily and the clamps slide in place. About all thats left is throttle cables, connect fuel line then the air cleaner box. Since I am on spring break hopefully have it fired up later today or tomorrow.

AND I AM TOO OLD!
post #95 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:44 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
This is what you need for those hoses.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...ers-37909.html

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #96 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 06:35 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
My 1500s never, ever, did better than 33 mpg....
but then, I always stayed with the fastest traffic on the road

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #97 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

The carb is connected but having problem getting gas thru the petcock. All hoses involving the petcock down to its source is new. But when I crank the bike with my thumb over hose from the vacuum source the amount of pull seems to not be enough to open the petcock to allow gas to the carbs.

Below the sub filter is a manifold with four vacuum lines. One from the autopetcock, one for vacuum source, and two that go up under the carbs. All are tight and not leaking. The autopetcock I installed new diaphragms, springs etc. during the carb rebuild. I do believe it is assembled correctly. Certainly its not leaking any gas.

I am going to examine the vacuum source as its on the intake manifold where it goes into the engine. It might be plugged with something. Or the manifold all these hoses are connected to may have a leak...just a wild guess. This is the reason I finally bypassed the autopetcock in the past. Thinking of running the hose from the petcock directly to the vacuum source bypassing the manifold.

Morning update:
Poured a bit of gas down carbs. Bike fired up and ran with it for what it had. I moved the vacuum hose from the manifold described above directly to the source on the intake manifold still will not open petcock so will tear the petcock down and make sure everything is in place as what I saw in one of the videos I viewed. After that I am dead in the water regarding getting gas thru what is percieved to be connected as it always was. Really hate to bypass the petcock again.
post #98 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Update to the previous update.
There is fuel going past the petcock. After pulling the downsteam hose from the petcock, keyed the bike on and there is flow. But thinking now very low pressure as I do not believe its filling the carb bowls. Nothing out of the accelerator pump to spray nozzles when throttle is twisted. I know they are clear as I did the test as per Raadakk's test on his website. The exact same problem I had prior to carb teardown and rebuild. I do have another pump. Likely swap it out today.
post #99 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Got the bike running this afternoon, but had to shut her down. Fuel coming out of the vacuum fuel return valve...at least that is what I think it is. I do not ever remember it having a hose. I will post pictures later of it. No I do not have the bottom of the air cleaner housing on and that alone might be the cause of a vacuum leak. Since this is my first carb rebuild on this type of vehicle. The accelerator pump and nozzles are spraying fuel. That being said before the other valve started leaking it acted much the same way before the rebuild.
post #100 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 06:29 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRLGL1500 View Post
Got the bike running this afternoon, but had to shut her down. Fuel coming out of the vacuum fuel return valve...at least that is what I think it is. I do not ever remember it having a hose. I will post pictures later of it. No I do not have the bottom of the air cleaner housing on and that alone might be the cause of a vacuum leak. Since this is my first carb rebuild on this type of vehicle. The accelerator pump and nozzles are spraying fuel. That being said before the other valve started leaking it acted much the same way before the rebuild.
Yes the vacuum valve has a vacuum hose to it, if fuel is coming out where it connects the diaphragm in the valve is bad.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page