Gl1500 carb rebuild - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1988 1500A.
Update:
Slow progress, carb is unburied from the air cleaner housing, only have three hoses left to disconnect (hardest ones) I finally
had to use a regular label maker to create my labels long enough to wrap around the hoses to stick to each end of the label. They will not stick to the hose.

Leaving some hoses in place on the carb as they will come off with the carb as an assembly. Taking plenty of pictures.
The clamps on the isolators to intake manifold.....The right side was reasonably tight....the left side clamp was not even finger tight.... could be vacuum leak??? With the two large hoses the run to the carbs with radiator fluid still connected I did
move the carb around a bit.
Since I still work full time and on my feet most of the day I can only lean over the bike for so long before my back starts giving me fits. Figure I will be able to get the carb off by saturday some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Finally got the carb off the bike yesterday. Actually had to pry some on it slowly. Then it popped off the rubber isolators.
FWIW the pilots are slotted not the d-shape some have described that came installed on their bikes. One question, HOW in the
heck do you adjust the pilots when you cannot even see them? Mine being a california version of the 1500 has a whole
lot of hoses covering the side of the carb the pilots are on.
Thanks
David
post #33 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 06:45 PM
It aint rocket science

Model: The best
You need to do this.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...nd-1500-a.html

The way Honda intended for mixture adjustment from front of radiators is pretty much futile due to sighting, plug wire, coil, hoses, forks, fender all being in the way. Much easier when air cleaner removed is to just reach down from the top with fingers and small screwdriver aided by a mirror and good lighting.

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before
Internet myth buster

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair please PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Separated both carbs this evening. Only one hitch. had to drill off one screw head on the slide cover. Then will get an easy out
to remove the threaded shaft. There was some sludge in the bowl and looked like some accumulation in the main jet.
Also the carbs on Martino's website are very different that my 88 model where the main and idle jets are concerned. The idle
jet is in very solid and its going to get replaced but decided will boil the carb up for awhile in distilled water, get it good a hot
then try to back it out. The accelerator pump looked ok, no splits and the slide rubber is clean and what I think is in very good
condition for a 28yr old bike. However I am dreading putting it all back together. I have pictures of everything. Left most all the vacuum hoses together in an assembly and disconnected ONLY at the source from the carb.

The rubberized insulated heat shield over the manifold is very stiff and still have not removed it.
Not going to skip removing it for inspection of the hoses beneath but will do so AFTER I get the carbs all back together in one
piece.

DriverRider: Thanks for the pilot screw limiter mod tip. I will use it. I was looking at them a bit ago and wondering how to get a better range of adjustment.
Thanks
David
post #35 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 10:02 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
use Vinegar instead of water, does a better job

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 11:17 AM

Model: 1975 GL1000(gone) 1980 GL1100 1996 GL1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
use Vinegar instead of water, does a better job
Do you have any experience with this? Boiling an aluminum alloy or brass in an acidic solution seems to me like it would discolor them. The only carbs I've ever HAD to boil in water were ones that sat so many years that they were gummed up and impossible to disassemble otherwise. Normally, carb cleaner and compressed air is plenty.
post #37 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 02:34 PM

Garage
used it for other stuff in my electronics shop, can't recall if I used it on aluminum, and, that might not be a good idea.

however, Simple Green is neutral and I used that a lot on anything and everything in my UltraSonic cleaner.

~ John

post #38 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 04:49 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
TXRLGL1500, There was a Product Update for the 1988 Gold Wing. (1988 GL1500 Carburetor Vent Hose Routing)

This only applied to 1988 Gold Wing's up through vin # 1HFSC2200JA004107.

You can tell if this Update was performed by opening the fuel filler door. If you see a "Vacuum Fuel Valve, the product update was done.
post #39 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

John
I have put a very mild solution of vinegar in the water. Less than a couple of oz. or so. What I have discovered its does not discolor anything. I used it full strength on some exterior parts and the bottom of the float bowl. I agree it is acidic but do not think I have mixed it strong enough to eat anything up. Its in the pot now going to boil it out for about four hours or so. Then attempt to pop the slow speed jet out and blow everything out with air compressor. I have used simple green and purple power on other things and both products are excellent. FYI: There is a great cleaner my wife and I have used on EVERYTHING
that can be purchased at the Dollar Store...its called "Simply Awesome". Its cheap and works incredibly well on ANYTHING
and biodegradable

Dboher
Just did a search...yes the update was done. I had bypassed the autopetcock a couple of years ago when gas was not getting by
the valve. Rebuilt the valve and things were fine for awhile and it started failing again. Bypassed it and left it that way. Going to go back using the autopetcock again.

The reason I am not using carb cleaner as I have in the past its just way too smelly. Everything I do in the garage (odor wise) comes right in the house.

Once I get this all sorted out back together am going to consider selling ol' blue. Thinking 1800. Wife is adamant about not selling this bike but need something a bit more uptodate. And its not her working on it.
post #40 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:49 PM

Garage
IMO, the vinegar won't discolor the carbs, I use it on everything around the house.

that is my 1st cleaning solution every time.

and I use it full strength, not diluted.

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page