Gl1500 carb rebuild - Page 7 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRider View Post
Idle speed for the 1500 is 800 RPM +/-80 to keep the computer happy and fuel mileage in check.
Fuel mileage?
..at idle?
Consumption differences of 200 rpm at idle are near irrelevant.
If they're relevant, I'd like to know how that's figured into the fuel stops..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight85 View Post
Fuel mileage?
..at idle?

I didn't even bother to comment on the fuel mileage aspect, as it was so totally ridiculous to even consider.

.the only downside to having a higher idle, is the engine braking effect is "slightly less", and that is the ONLY downside to an idle of 1100 RPM.

I have done this on two 1500s for the exact same reason. The stock alternator keeps humming along just fine, and has never, ever, left me in the dark. The 1500 only benefits from a bigger alternator if you add on a lot of extra lighting, and I never do.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight85 View Post
Fuel mileage?
..at idle?

I didn't even bother to comment on the fuel mileage aspect, as it was so totally ridiculous to even consider.

.the only downside to having a higher idle, is the engine braking effect is "slightly less", and that is the ONLY downside to an idle of 1100 RPM.

I have done this on two 1500s for the exact same reason. The stock alternator keeps humming along just fine, and has never, ever, left me in the dark. The 1500 only benefits from a bigger alternator if you add on a lot of extra lighting, and I never do.
True, however...

Let's input this new engine-brake infodata into DriverRider's mix and say one cancels out the other.
Less engine braking consumes less fuel while rolling versus the higher consumption of a 200 rpm increase at idle while still.
...there's always a quasi-solution to the nil aspect of things..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:48 PM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Carb cleaning "mix" I used...

I know that you have already cleaned your carbs but I wanted to chime in with what I used for my cleaning. I use this for all my cleaning on the bike when it comes to grease and filth. Just don't get it on your paint. It's very strong stuff and will eat the prints right off your fingers. It does burn your skin quickly. I get this at Walmart.

I used this as a 50/50 water mixture in my parts washer. It does an incredible job. Let it soak for 15 minutes and then use a tooth brush and then rinse well with fresh water. Dry with a clean cloth, blow with air and dry cloth again.

Check out the results here... https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...+magic+fingers

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5434_resize.JPG (185.8 KB, 36 views)

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #65 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1988 1500A.
Guys,
This stumble was ALWAYS JUST off idle letting the clutch out. It was actually set to about 900=950. I never had to give the bike any gas to get it started rolling....really a nice feature. Probably works at 800 too if the stumble had not been there.

I meant the idle was set past where the stumble was actually happening. Actually have forgotten what the factory idle setting was.
RPM wise. The idle was set correctly when I bought it and within 6mo had set the it up faster when I discovered that I could set the idle faster and past where it was causing me a problem. This bike would have eventually killed me if I had not done so, especially with the nature of the markland floorboards and that awful brake pedal arrangement. After setting the idle up never felt a need to go into the carbs until last year when the carbs started acting up. As for mileage intown it was always mid 30's and hiway upper 30's.... sorry for the confusion but I did indeed misstate the rpm settings.
David
post #66 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 07:10 PM
It aint rocket science

Model: The best
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post

What is ridiculous is your lack of knowledge on how a computer managed engine relies on engine parameter inputs in determining best operating characteristics for fuel efficiency and emissions.

The ECM relies on two primary inputs being manifold vacuum and engine RPM for application of Air Jet Controllers and Shot Air systems which lean mixtures out on deceleration in addition to ign timing changes, closed throttle manifold vacuum being an absolute number with increased base RPM changing this number. When you jack base idle RPM's up you in essence trick the computer into thinking the engine is not experiencing a true closed throttle deceleration hence little or no application of AJC injection into the carbs. Closed throttle decel and static manifold vacuum is calculated at the specified base RPM by the Engineers who design these things for everything to work properly and efficiently. Multiply this affect every time running down the road in which throttle is gently closed even at highway speeds and it adds up considerably in fuel consumption.

Simple question. Put full tanks of fuel in two 1500's and let them idle till empty with one at 800 RPM and another at 1100 RPM. which will run out first? Won't even be close.

Round 2 Waldo?

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before
Internet myth buster

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair please PM
post #67 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:45 PM

Garage
bad comparison, obviously the engine running at 1100 will run out of fuel first,

My 1500s have never idled for more than a minute or two at most, that will never effect fuel consumption.

end of discussion.

~ John

post #68 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:58 PM

Model: 88 1500 53k
This thread helped motivate me to take a stab at my stumble, so my carbs are out on my shop bench now. If you David, or anyone else knows the best place to get the #60 jets and also where and how much vacuum line to get, that would be awesome. I also need to rebuild my leaking petcock. Thanks
post #69 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Magic Fingers View Post
I know that you have already cleaned your carbs but I wanted to chime in with what I used for my cleaning. I use this for all my cleaning on the bike when it comes to grease and filth. Just don't get it on your paint. It's very strong stuff and will eat the prints right off your fingers. It does burn your skin quickly. I get this at Walmart.

I used this as a 50/50 water mixture in my parts washer. It does an incredible job. Let it soak for 15 minutes and then use a tooth brush and then rinse well with fresh water. Dry with a clean cloth, blow with air and dry cloth again.

Check out the results here... https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...+magic+fingers
Tim
Tim, I think you cheated and bought new carbs to show off to us
those things are immaculate.

~ John

post #70 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:01 PM

Model: 1975 GL1000(gone) 1980 GL1100 1996 GL1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRLGL1500 View Post
Guys,
This stumble was ALWAYS JUST off idle letting the clutch out. It was actually set to about 900=950. I never had to give the bike any gas to get it started rolling....really a nice feature. Probably works at 800 too if the stumble had not been there.
Setting the mixture correctly and not by the FSM procedure (which causes it to be lean) will help with the off idle transition stumble some, too, and let you set the idle lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRider View Post
The ECM relies on two primary inputs being manifold vacuum and engine RPM for application of Air Jet Controllers and Shot Air systems which lean mixtures out on deceleration in addition to ign timing changes, closed throttle manifold vacuum being an absolute number with increased base RPM changing this number. When you jack base idle RPM's up you in essence trick the computer into thinking the engine is not experiencing a true closed throttle deceleration hence little or no application of AJC injection into the carbs. Closed throttle decel and static manifold vacuum is calculated at the specified base RPM by the Engineers who design these things for everything to work properly and efficiently. Multiply this affect every time running down the road in which throttle is gently closed even at highway speeds and it adds up considerably in fuel consumption.

Simple question. Put full tanks of fuel in two 1500's and let them idle till empty with one at 800 RPM and another at 1100 RPM. which will run out first? Won't even be close.
Makes sense to me and round 2 was a disappointment being your explanation was ignored and your example was attacked instead before the discussion was "ended".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Magic Fingers View Post
Oh, ya. Beautiful carbs

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page