Gl1500 carb rebuild - Page 8 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1988 1500A.
TyAshton
I bought the jets and a few other items from BikeBandit. I am having a heck of a time finding heat resistant vacuum hose. NAPA in my area does not handle it. I did find a vendor of all places on amazon 20bucks for 10 feet of it. I am going to replace several lines that I think need replacement.

Just found the metric tap I needed to chase out the threads on the drilled out fastener for the slide cover. Now to find a matching screw. If a replacement does not match the rest will replace all eight of them. (kinda anal). I found a replacement for the missing accelerator pump spring at ace hardware. I have a complete accelerator rod kit on order from BikeBandit and will swap it out once its here.

Now I can start looking at what is under the insulator rubber blanket at those hoses. After that it is reassembly time and cleaning up the old autopetcock. The hose to it is definetly getting replaced. Yeah Tim.....I think those carbs are new....LOL. Great Job. Mine are clean but not quite as shiny as that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:39 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Honda should sell that bulk hose and it will be the correct diameter.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #73 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 03:16 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
I use that cleaner on everything but you have to pay close attention to what you're doing and use PPE. It's strong stuff. I cleaned the whole engine with it before the reinstall as shown in those other pictures.

That was the first time I ever worked on any carb before. It was very costly too. A good Randak kit and 2 slides. The slides up here were nearly $200 a piece. I forget what the Randak kit was worth but it was great quality. I wouldn't redo a carb without one. I think these carbs in total set me back about $625 cnd or so.

As far as hoses go, I got all my rubber at NAPA. They had everything I needed and I replaced it all. I certainly was not going back under there again for a long long time. Oh, and that piece on flat rubber that separated the carbs from the engine... the "heat sheild"... that dissolved as I was removing it. I did not replace it and the bike has shown zero effect with it missing.

Tim

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 06:01 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Magic Fingers View Post

As far as hoses go, I got all my rubber at NAPA. They had everything I needed and I replaced it all. I certainly was not going back under there again for a long long time.

Oh, and that piece on flat rubber that separated the carbs from the engine... the "heat shield"... that dissolved as I was removing it. I did not replace it and the bike has shown zero effect with it missing.

Tim
Tim,
I think the only places where that rubber mat might possibly be needed is in the desert heat country. I doubt very seriously that in the areas you ride in, you will ever notice the lack of it being there.

I recall having to get down into that area myself from topside, trying to replace the vacuum hoses, thinking "that thing has to go".... and that was with me living in the Phoenix, AZ country with normal daytime temps of 104* for months at a time.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #75 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1988 1500A.
Guess I will have to call my local honda dealer on the vacuum line. Since I do not have a part number to look it up online. The searches have not turned up much either except aftermarket.

The rubber mat on mine is definitely going to remain on my bike as it gets very hot in Texas.
post #76 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 08:46 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
When I did mine, all I did was take a snipping off the different hoses to NAPA and asked for something in a quality Vac hose that would fit. They had everything. That was 4 riding seasons ago and about 60K+ km ago. The hoses looked great back in the fall before I put the bike to sleep for the winter.

I even replaced the two "worst bend" hoses with NAPA ones without problems.

And your right John, I have only ever ridden in sever heat like some of you do once. This Northern Boy stopped more for water then I did for fuel. It was a day riding in 104 (41c). It was an adventure all unto itself!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Intake manifold vac hose - before.JPG (216.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Intake manifold vac hose - after.JPG (217.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Cruise control vac hose.JPG (191.8 KB, 46 views)

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #77 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:11 AM

Model: 2004 GL1800
Vacuum hoses

I've also seen hoses #11 on the front of the intake manifold(as seen in the second picture of the previous post), fail too. Feel them for softness at the bends. Those steel fittings that these hose fit on get pretty hot and deteriorate those hoses over time.

76 GL1000/ 48,000 miles-Sulfur Yellow
76 GL1000LTD
84 GL1200 (LTD Clone)
85 LTD w/ PoorBoy conversion
98 GL1500SE
2004 GL1800 (double darkside)daily driver
2007 GL1800
and several doner bikes.
The numbers are ever-changing
post #78 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 10:59 AM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
I looked on 3M's website and couldn't find those number thingies.
electricians use them and heating and airconditioning service repairmen. so a supply house should have them hope this helps someone .

life is good.
post #79 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 11:25 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis
I looked on 3M's website and couldn't find those number thingies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siouxindian View Post
electricians use them and heating and airconditioning service repairmen. so a supply house should have them hope this helps someone .
Yes,
I was in Locke Supply last month, and they had that exact 3M roll of numbered ID strips on the front counter next to the checkout registers... everyone who uses those things, forgets to put them on their Cheat Sheet for parts to buy...

but, when your eye falls on that bright red 3M roll of numbers, you just grab it up and add it to the list of stuff.

~ John

post #80 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:47 AM

Year: 1994
Model: GL1500 I
GREAT thread..if you think it is Carbs I am ready now

I have 1994 GL1500 with 42K miles has been sitting in garage with old fuel for greater than 5 years. This thread full of terrific tips for rebuilding carbs or is it vacuum only or reed valves? I work on farm tractors but never a motorcycle this complicated.

1. Have run 2 cans of Sea Foam over two weeks and now starts cold weather first spin. Idles perfectly no up and down but that is with Full Choke even when engine warm

2. Remove choke engine dies immediately as if fuel cut off.

3. Full choke must continue to use the accelerator pump to keep engine at 2500-3500 RPM's with choke on or off during this maneuver must continue to twist throttle rapidly to keep raw fuel going into carbs for it to maintain RPM's

4. Take choke off and engine will backfire if keeping RPM's up with accelerator pump. If try to hold throttle at specific RPM's engines dies as if fuel cut off.

5. New fuel pump and have done test to check volume of fuel also new fuel filter

6. Bypassed auto fuel cut off so no doubt engine getting sufficient fuel. Have done the propane and starter fluid test but I can do that almost anywhere and I get a very small surge especially with starter fluid.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page