Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA) - Page 8 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 07:48 AM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800
Nice set up and story, Larry. We might have passed each other in Utah as we rode the area at about the same time. Group riding has advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't mind riding a long trip with some friends but its tough to find someone to match my profile. Mean time my best friend rides behind me, like inches away. Im very happy with that,

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 07:53 AM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
My bad, I had in mind something else, we didnt ride the area at the same time Larry

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #73 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Larry,
I ride alone quite often, but I do like to ride with just 1 partner...

that way, we can have a meeting of the minds and adjust according to what needs to fill the bill.

ie, last year, Lopeha is my best of friends, make that my Very Best Friend....
he and I rode together intending to go to W. DC to visit the museums up there before we went to Edgefield, SC for NASSIR8...

Well, the very day we started out from his place..... I had already ridden one day alone to get to his home...... we looked at the Wx Radar maps, and it was rain, rain, rain all the way to W. DC

so, after thinking on that, we decided to go to Key West, FL.....
we made it into the Florida Panhandle and the weather turned off scorching hot, even with my Ice Vest, it was more than my body could handle...... We had to pull off at a truck stop and set inside the lunch room for 2 hours until my heart BP and body temps got back to normal...

Andy, right there, said: "You are done, Key West is out"...... while I was drinking tons of ice water, and just trying to breathe again, he was surveying the maps vs the weather.

Then a Light Bulb turned on in his mind! "Hey John, your EdSets comm set microphone is loose, and my left speaker is broken.... let's call up Jim at EdSets" and so he did.

Ed told us to turn left at the next interstate and go straight north and meet him at the Cracker Barrel next to his home...... He paid for our meals, and he totally replaced all of our comm gear!!!

and he would NOT take a penny for any of it..... God Works in Strange Ways.....

My SPOT tracker was being followed by John Johnson, Jobe05 and he called up Andy and asked why our route changed???? Andy explained what is going on, and Jobe05 told us to divert to his house in King, NC and stay with him for the next 3 days until we all ride to NASSIR8 together.....

and so we did..... JJ toured us all over the place around his home..... up Mount Pilot where the famous TV series episodes were filmed about the little old sheriff and Barney.... "my mind is a blank on who it was"

we had a fantastic time, JJ took us in his car down to the NASCAR museum in Charlotte and we spent a wonderful day there making more memories...... and a lot of pictures were taken, so it must have happened...

NASSIR8 was a blast, then I went to Dawsonville, GA where my son's home is ..... he toured me around some of the wildest twisties I have ever ridden.....

then I rode home in the rain back to Oklahoma..... again, on my own, when it started to rain hard, I just stopped at the next shelter and waited it out, and then I rode on again at my pace....
LarryInSeattle likes this.

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 08:14 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I ride alone because nobody likes me.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #75 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
Larry, good story.
It reminds me how nice it is to be part of a community of like minded individuals.

I should not say what comes to mind about making an honest woman out of your girl friend. Obviously you have strong feelings for her.
So I'll just leave that alone.

It appears you may be right about Fred's comments.

Perhaps he will post someday.
LarryInSeattle likes this.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

post #76 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 10:14 AM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 43 years winging it
I remember some in our chapter were complaining about the massive amount of $ rra was making in 81 when dues were $20 HA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5304.JPG (136.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg wing ding 80.JPG (153.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5553.JPG (134.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5560.JPG (138.0 KB, 13 views)

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2018 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
post #77 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 03:03 PM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 43 years winging it
Gwoa was the first Wing Club/Not For Profit established in 1976, all for $25 a year dues, then came along the GWRRA for profit in 77 @ $17 yearly dues..outrageous ?

We should pay much closer attention to our corrupt government in 2016 then all the drivel here.

CNN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9398.JPG (107.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9394.JPG (103.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 1978 rra dues.JPG (116.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9393.JPG (115.8 KB, 25 views)

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2018 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
post #78 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:50 PM

Model: 84&86 Interstates. 1996 1500 SE, 1978 1000
I was with one chapter until it folded. We were a riding group. Now, when management changed hands, is when the train went off the rails. They were merrily pushing us to increase our membership.

We tried. What few new people we managed to attract, got turned off by the dues. Then, no one wanted to do the CD job- too much paperwork. Since ours was a small group, the diddley work really couldn't be handed off from year to year. My then wife, took on the membership job.

That was a mess. She got frustrated with it, I took it on. It took a phone call from me to the district head, to convince them that we weren't exactly geared up financially to do what they wanted us to do. Those early years of new management didn't consider those who had to work for a living.

The general consensus within our group was to just fold it up. We stayed together as riders. Which is why we joined. It was a ton easier just to be together without the money and paperwork issues. A few are still members of Gw, they just don't go to any of the meetings. We still ride more than the other Gw group in my area. If it's your cup of tea- go for it.

What rather surprised me, was that none of the other groups extended an invite to me to join them. Oh well. I'd rather be here than there. Solo riding suits me better.
post #79 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:57 PM

Year: 2010
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1800-Made in USA
GWRRA raised the dues 10 bucks....Membership numbers dropping to new lows as folks are running to the exit door.
post #80 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 02:00 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I was asked locally to rejoin them...

I used to live within 12 miles of their home office,
and when I tried to attend their meetings,
I was totally ignored because I was riding a '86SEi and "required membership" was the new GL1800s.

So, their membership will continue to drop, IMO.

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page