LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Arrow What every over-50 rider should know

I was perusing my Bookmarks Index list and purging dead links, and this one popped up and I thought might be a useful reminder to us uh, shall we say, Senior Citizens??

http://genjac.com/BoomerBiker/index.htm

what I was looking for, was a thread on proper Braking, and this came up, and I think the gentleman addresses it quite well. this is from his #7 link

BRAKING:
WEIGHT TRANSFER AND MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE

http://genjac.com/BoomerBiker/Braking.htm

Virtually all crashes are preceded by the rider using his brakes to reduce his speed or to attempt to stop. He must do this before, during or after his (failed) attempts to counter-steer, lean and turn. Unlike an automobile, motorcycles have separate controls for the front and rear brakes, further complicating the decision-making process. Riders with off-road experience can be confused by the grip available on smooth, comparatively level asphalt. Learning how to slow down in the shortest possible distance will give a rider maximum protection from injury—and possible DWI arrest.

I won't reprint it all, just do yourself a favor, and take a sip of beverage and review what he says. We might not all agree with everything he says, but it is for darn sure, a good review for any of us.
Rednaxs60 likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I was perusing my Bookmarks Index list and purging dead links, and this one popped up and I thought might be a useful reminder to us uh, shall we say, Senior Citizens??

http://genjac.com/BoomerBiker/index.htm

what I was looking for, was a thread on proper Braking, and this came up, and I think the gentleman addresses it quite well. this is from his #7 link

BRAKING:
WEIGHT TRANSFER AND MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE

http://genjac.com/BoomerBiker/Braking.htm

Virtually all crashes are preceded by the rider using his brakes to reduce his speed or to attempt to stop. He must do this before, during or after his (failed) attempts to counter-steer, lean and turn. Unlike an automobile, motorcycles have separate controls for the front and rear brakes, further complicating the decision-making process. Riders with off-road experience can be confused by the grip available on smooth, comparatively level asphalt. Learning how to slow down in the shortest possible distance will give a rider maximum protection from injury—and possible DWI arrest.

I won't reprint it all, just do yourself a favor, and take a sip of beverage and review what he says. We might not all agree with everything he says, but it is for darn sure, a good review for any of us.
Good article, i only disagree with the statement not to use the rear brake when wet. I do almost all my riding in the Seattle area. Riding in the wet needs to be as natural as riding when dry. I would add, practice braking under different conditions, dry, wet, dirt, corners and on hills. Learn the bike's responses and limits. I believe motorcycling is a lot like piloting an aircraft. There are proficency standards for pilots, make your own for motorcycling.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:13 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Good information and worth the read.

I agree with JamesPal, using the rear/front brake technique is applicable regardless of wet/dry. It is amazing how much traction the tires have in the wet.

The article mentions that you let up on the brake that is locked. In the courses I have taken over the past 3 years, the front wheel has to be turning, and if locked, get it unlocked quickly. The rear wheel if locked, leave it alone, it will follow the front. Maximum braking can only be done with the bike upright.

A riding tune-up at a course can never be too expensive. As with all schools of thought, various skills evolve and what was once thought to be the way to do something, may now have changed.

Cheers

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 04:09 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Avast blocks that link, says it's a threat.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I'm using avast, just tell it the link is okay, Whitelist it.

it is good, guaranteed.

~ John

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
look on meetup.com for riding groups in your area. In my area its SuperBike-Coach, who offer courses teaching MotoGP techniques to street bikers on a small tight go-cart track!
Those cornering school days are $130 and you come away wondering how you managed to survive all these years!
The classes progress in skills with day2 and day3 classes.
Option for full race-track courses, street classes and more available.

I know this guy isnt the only one with a great idea. Somewhere in the USA are similar events.
The small track is turn turn turn with a max speed about 35mph
Whatever you are doing wrong will be seen by on-course observers and relayed to you for improvement.

The Wing has an alarming lean angle limit in the hands of the instructor! Im STILL nowhere close to that!
Tip! if you ask the instructor to take your bike out on course, expect some new shiny bits under the pegs~

A small investment in recurrent training that may save replacing your safety gear and practice is always fun if you make it fun
Buddy using video mode on the phone is very helpful for your parking lot practice figure 8s, Uturns and E-stops- slow and swerve etc,.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:32 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I have to say, when someone with such limited riding experience starts telling me that the MSF is all wrong and the Hurt report was flawed in this way and that, well, maybe the guy should shut up and listen more. Some of his "findings" are valid, probably. But, and this is a big but, he's tinkering with the safety of others and he doesn't seem qualified and certainly doesn't have the credentials.

If you have access to a motorcycle cop, ask him/her what they think of this guy's diatribe. Or if you aren't friends with Ponch and John, maybe discuss it with some of your nearby MSF instructors. In any case, get a second opinion from someone who does have the credentials.
DaveO430 likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 AM

Year: 1987
Model: GL1200 Aspencade
I had a hiatus from riding for several years after riding most of my life.

Now that finances are back in order and I found a good deal on my 87 Goldwing Aspencade I'm back on the road.

I'm taking in all the information I can and looking for some extra classes since I've found that my Goldwing "road sofa" is nothing like the old 750four that I had so many of.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
meetup.com will find you the local chapters of GWRRA, the Goldwing Riders assn.
They offer FREE classes specific to riding a Wing, lots of slow speed work in parking lot.
Often a nice ride with all Wings occurs after a morning class.

Also look at your local go cart track for bike cornering classes held there.

2 tubes of tennis balls, cut them in half and use as visual reference points for your uturn and figure 8 practice

See the thread on this forum Making Uturns, great tips and practice ideas.
Steady throttle, modulated rear brake and slipping the clutch will make a manageable beast of of your bike.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > General > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page