Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

looking for riding in the rain tips

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  SilverDave 
#1 ·
imported post

Hello again, any tips for making riding in the rain any easier and safer? How do you see thru a windshield and glasses in the rain? Also how do you keep the rain from stinging your face at higher speeds? I could see using a helmet shield, but that adds another layer of plastic to see thru. ( I am not a tough as I used to be in my middle age)

Rain is forcast for the next 2 weeks and I wanted to do a few trips.

Thanks.

Randy

#2 ·
imported post

First and foremost is good tires and rain suit, I always enjoy riding in the rain as long as I am dry and warm. Ideally you should belooking justover the top of the windshield. I always ware a full face helmet in the rain cuz I cant stand the rain hitting me in the face. The wind coming off the windshield keep the visor quite clear. Slow down and don't lean to far into turns and all should be good.. Good luck

#3 ·
imported post

I have been reluctant to chop off the windshield for fear I would regret it later. Does it make any difference in wind blocking ability?

I guess just saw it off neatly with a band saw and belt sand the edge?

Are there products that allow the rain to not bead and slide off better?

Randy

#4 ·
imported post

Use the search for windshields for some ideas, Silverfox has a real good detailed method. I used a drummel tool to cut, then a Friends table top belt sander for the rough sand and then worked up to a 1200 grit wet dry to finish. looks pretty good to me. Make sure you use a sanding block for the hand stuff or you may slip and scratch the shield.(don't ask how I know) Remember to make sure when you cut it that it's so you can just look over, so if it gets real nasty all you have to do is shrug down a bit and your covered. Yes it does change the air envelope around the driver and passenger, but not really badly, seems the passenger gets the worst of it. Another suggestion I got from here was to take a piece of 3/16 tubing slit it down on side and push it on to the edge of the screen, will stop the water from flying off and hitting you in the face. I haven't tried it yet but will this week. Apparently we are in for a week of rain and I am just getting my baby down off the lift for the first time in 3weeks, so a little rain is not going to stop me. The other point to mention, is you use the tubing idea make sure it's long enough so the water can't come on to your knees.

#5 ·
imported post

Hope I'm not too late to be helpful.
Use good rain gear that seals well at cuffs and neck.( Some of the waterproof gear really isn't and some of it can get very heavy when wet. I use First Gear products and like them but I still wear rain gear when I know that it's going to rain)
Wear rain boots of some kind.No leather boot is waterproof forever. Wear rubber or nylon overgloves.( I really like the triple digit raincovers from Aerostich)
If you have an electric vest/jacket liner use it.
Wait a hour after the rain starts before heading out. Let some of the road oils dissipate.
Stay on the major roadways (Completely opposite of riding in good weather)
Slow down. Slow down more!
Don't be tempted into drafting behind a truck. It's dry but EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.
Allow a lot of extra time to slow down or make turns. (If you miss a turn or POI JUST turn around when you can.)
Don't press too hard for mileage. The extra concentration needed to ride in the rain is VERY tirering.
Eat meals more often. The cooler air drains you quickly.

I've ridden thousands of miles in the rain, I do not like it at all but I'm going when I'm going and that's all there is to it.

Good Luck and Be Safe

#6 ·
imported post

Rich is right and to add to that: when the rain begins the center of the highway; where the oil accumilates, becomes quite slippery, I ride to the left or right of center to stay out of the oil.

Also in stop and go city driving be careful when putting your foot down at an intersections. The surface is often quite oily from car that stop and your foot could slip. Once you get off balance the true weight of the wing can be felt and is often difficult to recover - and you cannot help but drop the bike.

My helmet has a face sheild so when it rains I just lower the shield a bit and I have no problem with the water off the windshield. However today I was wearing my half helmet and got caught in the rain; it was quite uncomfortable having the rain beat me in the face. If youdo not have aface shield, a wide pair of shades, glasses, or goggle will help.

Be careful and Keep on Winging :bat:

#8 ·
imported post

Never , but NEVER use Rain -X on plastic.. !! It destroys lexan ,and acrylic.../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              If you want the water to bead off, and roll up to the top .. a good coat of plexus, or   Lemon pledge    on both your helmet visor, and your windshield../forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif.    and if its a two week voyage ?  throw a soft cloth, and the Pledge into the  trunk, and re-do it often ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     If in Driving rain , in waterproof garb,  and dry neck ... you can sit up just a bit , lower your visor just a bit , and peer over the shield,  thru this small slot  , just like "Knights of olde "..... I have driven for hours that way... /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gif                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         In driving typhons, water will pour over the top of your shield, and onto you ..  add some split 1/4 inch  clear tubing from Home Depot to the top and edge of your shield , and it will drain down the sides, not into your lap. /forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Boots should be covered in gators, or three coats of Aqua Seal, as well as back of gloves......  But the thing that will drive you into the coffee shop for two hours to dry out  is getting   wet  boots, or neck, or hands./forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif..   SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

#9 ·
imported post

In a pinch I've slipped a couple garbage bags over my boots and tucked the open ends up under my Frogg Toggs. Not pretty but it kept my feet dry. I really like the Frogg Toggs so far. They look like paper but I haven't managed to tear one yet, they don't cause a sweat build up and they do a good job of keeping me dry. I also like the small package they stuff into, I keep them in the bike all the time unless I'm wearing them.

#13 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
2wings wrote:
Exavid are these the ones that fit over the front portion of your shoe?

Keep on Winging :bat:
:stumped:
I saw a guy with covers over his shoes that went from the toe almost to the heel but the heel was not covered. I thought this was pretty neat since if the front portion of your foot was cover which gets wet, then there would be no need for the entire shoe to be covered. This would make for reallylightweight rain gear that would not take up very much space.

I need to ask him what is his foot gear is called, cause I-dunno :baffled:

Just talked with him and he said he got them from a Harley store. They fit over the toe and 3/4 of the shoe and a velcro strap fit around the heel. He also said the footie was a part of the pants and could be separated.

Oh! rubber gloves can help keep your hands dry. Since I am space conscious I carry rubber gloves in the summer rather than my bulky cold weather rain gloves I use in winter.

Attachments

#14 ·
imported post

everyone pretty much got it. I ride in the rain all the time, actually just got home from a downpour. I do wear a face mask on my helmet. Down side is the fogging up. I have tried various things, but always fogs up. Best remedy for me is I have to raise it one click to get air in, face gets chilly, but fog is gone.
Besides that, I do like to stay much more visible to other drivers. If I am coming up and cars are entering the road, I always flash my hi/low beams a few times. If they are coming up behind me, either tap the brakes or hit the flashers (always doing it to the left so they do not pass me). I just figure I am much less visible, so do everything I can to stay visible, there are alot of idiots out there.

As far as driving, I do slow down considerably in curves. I doubt if I have to as much as I do, but on two wheels, i would just hate to hit a wet oil spot....

Gear. I just wear my regular jacket, it is great. I rode for about 4 hours in the rain the other day and never got wet. If it is cool, I wear my winter riding pants (nitro) or warm, I just wear some pants I bought at wally world , they are Stearns fishing pants.
I ride rain or shine, only thing that stops me is snow or ice, i am not that brave.
Only bad part for me is I can not get boots on. My feet do get wet.

#15 ·
imported post

The item you are all looking for  (Don , 2Wings,. Exavid )   are called , usually , GATORS ... They are great .... I have 2 pair... one for the lady who rides behind, and one pair for the driver                             http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...=402&productId=p341073&leafCatId=40208&mmyId=                                                    They are great , last a long time (mine are 11 years old, and still waterproof )  ... and often are the only thing you need in a light rain, if your windshield is  a tall...  I ride dry ,and happy    LOL   SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

#17 ·
imported post

Couple of old tricks, from someone who has ridden in rain once or twice over the years:goofygrin:.... tuck your gloves inside your cuffs, not outside as in the fine weather. This prevents the rain running down your arms and into your gloves. Second one , if you get caugt in the rain with inadequate foot and hand waterproofs, get to the nearest supermarket and grab some of their shopping bags. With the feet, slip the bags on under the shoes/ boots not over, that way thy don't cause a danger of catching them on pegs and the don't shred themselves. On the hands, over the gloves but up the cuffs, stops them flapping about. Both the above will also serve to keep some of the cold out, aswell.

With helmets and rain, if you wear a full or flip helmet, leave the visor up about half an inch allowing air to flow, helps prevent fogging. Cleaning visor with gentle cleaner and Pledge before riding will help stop water beading and shrugs rain off quite well.

The extremities are the important thing to keep as dry as possible, because with wet comes cold and with cold comes pain!!! ( I expect most of you have experienced that at some time or other!!:shock::X:crying:)

#18 ·
imported post

As far as cutting the windshield down, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, try taking your shield to a auto glass store that also deals in plexy. I sat on my bike in a normal riding position then marked on the glass at the point where I could just look over the top without having to stretch. I then took it to a local glass shop and had them cut it to the same shape as the original, only about 3" lower. It cost me $10. Well worth it.

Now, I can look slightly down and look through the glass or look up and look over the glass. It's a real drag when your windshield gets messed up and you can't see through it. You will get more wind buffeting however but I think it's worth it.

Regards and be careful when you're ridin' in the rain.:)

Hobie

#19 ·
imported post

I still need to get some kind of shoe covers to wear (with) my rainsuit. I searched to find a gator that just covers the shoe and not the leg with out success. The hopnell gators dont detach the shoe part from the leg part do they?

What do you guys recomend for shoe covers to where with a rain suit? Years ago I had totes but they where a pain to get on and off. I cant seem to locate an aturnative.

Randy

#20 ·
imported post

I got caught in the rain Saturday night. First time in a very long time I've ridden in the rain. First time EVER on a Goldwing. I actually stayed fairly dry but looking through the rained on windshield at night was a bear. I'm not going to cut my windshield down because I like the wind protection, so I suppose I'll have to endure looking through the raindrops until I can stop somewhere since I don't like riding in the rain anyhow. .........Yeah I know where I live.That's why my bike has such low mileage.:dude::dude::dude:

#21 ·
imported post

You could lower it all the way and cut it so you can just see over it to the ground about 60' ahead. You'd still have almost 3" of height available by pulling it up to the highest position. Best of both worlds. Actually I don't find a lot of difference whether my windshield is up or down in the rain, just harder to see over when it's up.

#22 ·
imported post

My (old) gators have velcrow strips up the side, and a boot "cup" at the front.... You put the toe into the cup, arrange them on the side, and "velcrow" them up.....  Elastic keeps them taut... I guess if you cound not bend over AT ALL, you would have to sit on a bench, and wrestle them on .. SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.