Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First post, new member

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  nickstas 
#1 ·
imported post

Have been a motorcyclist for over 30 years, however recently new to Goldwings. Over the years have owned close to 20 different motorcycles some offroad bikes, which I did a lot of trail riding and a few enduro events.

A few of the street motorcycles I have enjoyed in the past were the 1968 BSA 650 Thunderbolt, 1972 Yamaha 650, 1971 BMW R75/5, 1978 Moto Guzzi 850 T3, 1982 Yamaha 750 Maxium, 1986 Suzuki 550 ES, 2006 Suzuki C- 50, and now my first Hondaa White 1999 GL 1500 SE Goldwing.

I have always done all of my own mechanical work and have already gained much helpful information from the input and answer you forum members have shared.

I still have a lot to learn about the Wing and am sure the knowledge of the many long time owners of Goldwings that frequent this forum will be both helpful and enjoyable.

The Wing is definetly the largest displacement and heavest and largest of the touring mortorcycles I have owned and I have not ridden it long enough to get the feel , balance, for it yet, especally at those slow parking lot speed, or on slippery surfaces. This season hope to put many thousands of miles on it and develop that fit like a glove feel that makes riding very enjoyable.

Thanks for all of the helpful information I have already received and will continue to receive

See less See more
#3 ·
imported post

Welcome to the forum.....it took me a little while to get the feel for the slow speeds. You might want to try different handlebar positions to see if that helps. It helped me to find my "comfort zone".

Their will be many "smiles per mile" on your new wing!!

#4 ·
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site SHILOSAM! :waving::waving:

Big and heavy a 'Wing most certainly is. I was a bit intimidated by my first Goldwing, a 1986SEI. Took me a month of slow speed practice before I thought it possible to feel comfortable on the big machine. I kept at it since I knew it was supposed to be an 'oldman's bike' and I had the main qualification. I replaced it with my current '93 and now after four years on Goldwings really enjoy the bike. No big deal in the parking lots now even two up.

#5 ·
imported post

Another poor soul lost to the evil Goldwing God..........life will never be the same.....but thats a good thing this time :coollep: Welcome aboard.

yup they be big and heavy, but ahhh so nimble to, that is the nice surprising part. I was amazed that after upgrading from my dressed CB750C to the GL1200 wing that the Wing would in fact corner and lay over just as good if not better than the ole custom, and pep to weight ratio is impressive.....now next time I meet up with Neil (ccsailor) I am gonna make time to try out his GL1500..........only thing holding me back last time was lack of time and I suspect if I ride one it may cost me money and additional winter storage space LOL :grinner:

On the low speed stuff, after adjusting to the different bike and learning the low C of G of the Wing I have foound I come to a stop at stopsigns and then move on without ever putting a foot down, something that was much more difficult on the CB750......thes bikes are impressive with their capabilities considering their size and comforts, very impressive!

#6 ·
imported post

Hello from Carolina SHILOHSAM, glad to have you join us. I know you will be of great value with the knowledge that you bring to the community. :waving:

Keep on Winging:bat:

#8 ·
imported post

Welcome from south Ga SHILOHSAM glad to have you with us .and with the experience you posted it won't be long before that se fits like a glove . A good ride for June might be the Honda Hoot in Knoxville Tn Be a few of us from Ga there

#11 ·
imported post

Welcome to the forums, SHILOHSAM:waving: We are glad you found us. I used to live in Marion, years ago when the stamping press factories was the place to be.

The bike is big, even more so when its time to pick it up. :weightlifter: So you might want to read the threads "I've dropped my bike, am I a goldwinger now?" :cheeky1:

#14 ·
imported post

I agree, a touch of foot brake adds a tremendous amount of control at super slow speeds... You modulate your speed with the brake, not the throttle.

Much more solid feel. You just have a slight amount of extra throttle turned on, not much. Practice makes it perfect.... And I haven't noticed any extra wear on my brake pads.

After all, it is a very slow speed and only for a trifling distance.

#16 ·
imported post

A warm welcome to you SHILOHSAM, from here over the Pond. :waving:

Nice to have you join us, visit often and enjoy the site.

:waving::waving:

#18 ·
imported post

Welcome to the site Shilohsam :waving:

#19 ·
imported post

Only had a chance to put about 400 miles on the Wing from the time I purchased it till late winter snow and ice stopped my riding. It got up to 52 degrees F today with sunshine ( which is the warmest weather I have rode this motorcycle in) so I went to a vacant parking lot and practiced some tight U turns and some maximum effort stops ( just short of wheel lockup) from 20mph, 30mph, and 40 mph. The Wing stops really well. My Moto Guzzi also had linked brakes and I like them however I almost always use the front brake also so I will not loose the ingrained habit for those emergency stops. David Hough, in his book Proficient Motorcycling states that it takes twice the distance to stop from 40 mph as it does from 30 mph. My practice today seem to agree with this. Good to remember when you are entering an intersection and you are not sure if that car is going to pull out in front of you are not. Used the rear brake application method in the U turns with good results . Very enjoyable ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.