Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Aspencade
Garage
New to forum...seat back

I am new to this forum because I picked up a 85 GL1200 goldwing, I rode it a couple times and noticed my back started hurting, I did not have this problem on my small bike, it was a 500 Vulcan. My question is I was looking at installing a drivers seat backrest and came across one that said "for solo riding only" on the back of the seat, it looks like it would work but wondered why it would say that, is it for the protection of a passenger? or would just be uncomfortable? It installs with the bars that come down the side around the seat. Thanks in advance for responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 01:03 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles

I think it will be fine to use that backrest. Don't know that it will help your back, though.

Please update your profile to include your city & state. Thank You.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 01:10 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Welcome to the forum.

The "for solo riding only" is a legal disclaimer and many including myself have used them two up.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well then

I didn't know I had to post city and state to be a member, excuse me, I am sorry I have not done that. I kinda wanted to keep that private until I felt comfortable on this forum. I see now that senior members must scope out new members and where they live. This is the welcome I get I guess. Anyway if you must know I am in AZ. You can google my name if you would like, it just might tell you which city I am in as I am currently serving as a commissioner on the planning and zoning committee.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 01:36 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Putting your location in your profile has nothing to do with "scoping you out".

It's more about members that live close to each other helping each other, but I do understand internet privacy concerns.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 01:46 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
It's not a requirement but it helps sometimes. I can't imagine why anyone would think it's a threat to disclose the town they live in, but some do.

Mostly it just helps the other members know a little something about the environment your bike resides in and opens up a possibility for local help if you need it.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you

When I created my profile I use the Facebook connect button but failed to realize that it used my full name for user name until I signed it for the first time, I am not comfortable with that showing and I have asked for my user name to be changed, it is then I was going to put my city and state in my profile. I dont know what Bike...and Dennis real name is but I do know where he lives. If it is so important to know where I live I would like to know his full name. As Ken pointed out it is for my privacy until my user name is changed. I just needed an answer to my question and Ken has answered it. Thanks Ken
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 06:46 AM

Year: 1999
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jabkowski View Post
I didn't know I had to post city and state to be a member, excuse me, I am sorry I have not done that. I kinda wanted to keep that private until I felt comfortable on this forum. I see now that senior members must scope out new members and where they live. This is the welcome I get I guess.
Michael, this forum is one that will do everything it can to help you with any issues that you may encounter on your bike, because many of them have experienced the same issue, some many times over. I can't even begin to count how many times I have been pulling my hair out over and issue and got it quickly resolved, usually within 48 hours or so by folks here.
It'll be a good idea to share all that you are comfortable with so these great people can help you, and others with similar issues, all that they can.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 07:45 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jabkowski View Post
I am new to this forum because I picked up a 85 GL1200 goldwing, I rode it a couple times and noticed my back started hurting, I did not have this problem on my small bike, it was a 500 Vulcan. My question is I was looking at installing a drivers seat backrest and came across one that said "for solo riding only" on the back of the seat, it looks like it would work but wondered why it would say that, is it for the protection of a passenger? or would just be uncomfortable? It installs with the bars that come down the side around the seat. Thanks in advance for responses.
Welcome to the forum. Your gold wing is most likely wider than your Vulcan thus putting your body in a little different position. If you have a big wallet in your back pocket, that will put pressure on your sciatic nerve. (Trust me I know) . As far as the back rest note, imagine yourself sitting back there with the back rest in place.

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Congrats on your new ride. Moderator John just had eye surgery, try PM to Dave or other mod for name change
Re: Bike and Dennis- you know where he SAYS he is, unless you're a computer person who can ferret out ip and know where that comes from.

You are probably looking at a WingLeader backrest- it has 3 holes on the side rails that allow you to move the rest forward or back
Mine says same, and I guess the solo use is about passenger getting pushed into you- the backrest folds forward and gives additional shove at low back- you end up on the gas tank with reduced dangling nodal clearance

On the Wing its not such a big deal as passenger has decent place to sit- rather than leaned on you for support.
Same backrest design was used on H-D, maker eventually dropped Wings and makes only HD farkles

GURUS?? Are the handlebars on the 1200 adjustable? Reaching for the bars quickly leads to back pain.
Leaned forward puts strain on forearms and neck, which will also let you know something is not right

** OP: can you have someone take a few side pics of you sitting on the bike- on its centerstand and post them here.
Between the back injury people and those in various medical professions- many can give solid advice
You may look at the pics and figure out what needs adjustment!

Do you have cruiser/crash bar pegs or just the stock location?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > New Members Introduction Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page