Hello from Ohio.. - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1500 SE
Thanks for the tip Corkya,
I did that, put the rear lift point on the center stand mount and the front lift point under what I assume is the engine/ trans area. However after doing so she is not balanced at all with the Jack I got, It is rear heavy, or front light. I purchased a J&S jack on Craigs, , I wonder if your Habor Freight jack is wider at the lifting points than mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 03:35 PM

Year: 1999
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpig32 View Post
I purchased a J&S jack on Craigs, , I wonder if your Habor Freight jack is wider at the lifting points than mine.
Mine is 13" from outside of pad to outside of pad, but if it any consolation, while I was reviewing lifts last year, J & S was top of the line, but just too expensive for me.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Yes,, the jack was a tad on the pricey side even though it was purchased used. I too researched and found the majority thought J&S are one of the best and made in WI, I love there cheese.. Never having lifted 800+ lb of bike before I didn't want to be discouraged with a pile of plastic carnage on the floor if my project went a little sideways so I am trying to start with a leg up so to speak.

I searched a little yesterday on lift points for the GL1500, seems a lot of people are calming lifting on the exhaust has had no ill affect for them. Maybe Id be fine with that, but my luck normally trends in the direction of an expensive mistake and I spend the following week or two kicking my self.

I did call J&S, pleasant people, but I fear the person I was talking to was younger than my bike and could not offer much in first hand knowledge. I took your advice put the rear plate on the center stand mount and the front under the motor. She is a little nose heavy, not exactly centered to my liking but seems to be stable enough when lifted all the way up, I just won't be sitting on the fender like there marketing images clam though.

Thanks for the measurement, this jack is 17" wide end to end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:06 AM

Make sure and strap the bike from somewhere on the frame to the lift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right tie-down to jack.jpg (109.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Left tie-down to jack.jpg (91.3 KB, 3 views)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, will do.
Do you feel the strapping is going to prevent wobble or fall from left to right or front to back? I, well my bike and sometimes me wobble more front to back than side to side. Just a thought, and I'm probably wrong but if she starts to go front to back the straps will only keep the lift and the bike together when it all comes tumbling down. I'm sure I am over thinking it though. It is in the air, fairly steady.

Say, if i may ask beings that we are pretty close geographically saying, where is it that you take your bike for serious service, or do you do it all your self? Id like to find a good honest, fare reliable shop.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpig32 View Post
Thanks for the tip, will do.
Do you feel the strapping is going to prevent wobble or fall from left to right or front to back? I, well my bike and sometimes me wobble more front to back than side to side. Just a thought, and I'm probably wrong but if she starts to go front to back the straps will only keep the lift and the bike together when it all comes tumbling down. I'm sure I am over thinking it though. It is in the air, fairly steady.

Say, if i may ask beings that we are pretty close geographically saying, where is it that you take your bike for serious service, or do you do it all your self? Id like to find a good honest, fare reliable shop.
The straps do a little bit of both, protecting fore and aft as well as side to side. You are basically changing from 2 points of contact support at the shoes to 4 points of contact support and, therefore, making it less likely that you will reach a tipping point either way.

For serious service I take mine to a bike shop about 10 miles south of me (Bowling Green). You kind of have to shop around some because not everyone works on GoldWings, especially older ones.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > New Members Introduction Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page