Back after a 30 year layoff - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1500A Pearl White
Cool Back after a 30 year layoff

I took about a 30 year layoff from riding. I had gotten into Ham radio and Boats. I am back riding now, and it feels GREAT! I will now ride until I am down under.
Just picked up a 1997 GL1500A. It has an idle surging problem I have been working on for 3 weeks so far. Boy, Motorcycles have gotton a lot more complicated than they used to be.

In my first 20 years of riding I went through about 40 bikes total. I started out riding young. Started out with a 3.5 hp Mini bike. Then a 5hp Kawasaki coyote mini bike. Then a Honda 50cc motorcycle. I remember on long steep roads it would bog down, I had to jump off the bike and run beside it holding throttle wide open in 1st gear to make it to the top of some of the steep hills in WV where I grew up at. Then a Honda 160, then a Honda 300 dream. Then a 250 6 speed Suzuki hustler that would do about 110 mph. Then Suzuki 380. Then came the killer Kawasaki 500 triple, then the Kawasaki 750 triple. Then a Honda 750. I had 2 of them at different times. Then the Kawasaki 900 4 stroke, then the 1000. At about this same time era I had many Kawasaki and Yamaha dirt bikes, I really liked the YZ's back then. Remember flipping the Yamaha 490 YZ over backwards a few times, very Powerful. Then I think it was a Yamaha 920 Virago. That is the bike we ran off and eloped on down in Virginia. Then the last road bike I had was a Suzuki 1100. That was a nice bike with a lot of power and smooth ride. There are other bikes like Kawasaki 400 and, well I can't remember anymore, but I had a blast on all of them. I loved them all.

Last edited by Kf8tc; 11-19-2018 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added the good ole Honda 750 in there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:39 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles

We've had a few threads recently about GL15 surging. Look in the Tech forum.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Year: 1995
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL 1500 SE
Garage
Hallo Kf8tc

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

Greetings Wil.

It is beautiful on the road with all the Goldwings.
A Goldwing rider is a happy rider.

See my Albums to see what my nickname means, and see photo's from our holiday in Australia.
Also see my other albums from my motor holidays.

Look in My Garage for photo's from my Goldwing
GL 1500 SE. Two tone green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Hello and welcome back.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:11 PM

Year: 2010
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1800-Made in USA

You're never too old....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:17 AM

Year: 1991
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
Welcome aboard Kf8tc!!!

Get out your "cheaters" cuz you're gonna do LOTS and LOTS of reading about that gorgeous Nu2U beast.

You'll learn that the ethanol crap they're putting in our gas makes these carbs wanna puke, , thus carb issues are common and not a big issue (usually).

You'll also learn that Seafoam is your FRIEND.

Next time you fill up, mix about 1-2 oz of Seafoam per gallon of gas. For "in-town" driving try to keep your tach at about 2k rpm's. Higher rpm's will bypass your idle jets, and that's what we want to get clean. Hiway driving is normal, , , flow of traffic. Use the knurled knob (by the gas cap) to get your engine idle to about 800-900 rpm when warm. It won't fix your surge overnight, ,but it should smooth out and become a "non-issue" after about 3 tanks of gas.

In conclusion, as Bike&Dennis said, , ,use the search feature to find all the previous threads with your exact same "issue".
Screw likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Cool Thank You all

Thank You all for your help. I have been reading now for about 40 hours on this bike. Man, it sure has a lot of vacuum lines. I don't see how it works with out having consistent problems. I have all of the lower panels off looking for a vacuum leak. I can't find my inspection camera that hooks into my laptop to get into very tight places , so I ordered a new one. Also want to change the side marker bulbs to LED while the panels are off, but can't seem to find them. The ones on the fairing.You think the standard bulbs would be in the manual, but I can't find them. I also want to add a lower running light kit ( LED). My bike doesn't have any installed, so I am going to cut out the place they go and install the running lights while covers are off. On the sea foam, I put 1/2 can to a tank of gas. Ran both tanks through. Today I added a whole can to a tank of fuel. It will be a few days while I order parts b4 I put it back together to run the fuel through. I also synced the carbs. Idles better! Thank you for the info on keeping it below 2K to get the seafoam to work. I also picked up a can of B12 carb and fuel cleaner. Thought I would try that also. It was 1/2 the price of seafoam at Walmart.
Also I don't know where to find these posts. When I pulled me up, it showed no posts...
Chomping at the bit to ride again. Thank You all.
Screw likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:41 PM

Year: 1984 Interstate, 82 GL1100, 79 KZ1000, 87 CR250
Model: GL1200 and GL1100
Garage
I was a Ham for a while wasnt what it is today, had to take the 13wpm code for a general never went past that officially. Took all 5 tests back in the day and passed them but took two years to pass the 13 for my general, I let that expire years ago. Still got a FT101EE and a SB220 though thats all I need.
GT380 Suzuki 2 stroke man that was a screamer, had one loved it for what it was, like you had a bunch of bikes one of the favorites was my CB350four, from there to a CB750 great bike. Fastest rocket was my Interceptor 1000 and V65Magna. Now have a Goldwing GL1200 and still a old KZ1000. Going to buy a V65 again this summer found one that a friend has for me great bikes.
Have a friend that rides a 1500, nice bikes. Lots of buttons!!! Good luck with the bike and welcome to the Forum. EX, DE.....KC5DJB..John

GL1100
GL1200
KZ1000
Grizzly 600
CR250

Its always been Mind over Matter. I dont Mind You dont matter.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:53 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
using the Sea Foam to clear the idle jets, requires that you keep the engine idling as slow as possible for several hours.

I had to do that that every evening for a few days when I first purchased my 98...
I poured in a full can of Sea Foam to the gas tank, then filled the tank up, so the gas pump would stir up the mixture.

normal use is 1 oz per gallon, but here you are needing to get the SF into the idle circuits, and the stronger the better for plugged idle circuits.

IIRC, my 98 cleaned up in about 5 or 6 days of letting it idle for a couple of hours each evening.
on the center stand, and making sure the cooling fans are cycling on/off.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Great idea. Cant ride it right at the moment, but I can let it idle for an hour or 2 a day. My cooling fans have never turned on. I replaced the radiator temp sensor yesterday. I toped it off. Probably have too much coolant, as the darn plastic dipstick is bent sideways at a 90 degree angle? Not sure what it is supposed to look like pulled out...It gets really hot down here in the summer so I wanted to make sure that the cooling circuit was functioning properly. I now have a full can of sea foam in 1/2 tank of gas. Will let it idle 1-2 hours as you suggested a day. I checked the plugs. They look like right out of the package, so I left them in. It seems that the cooler temps we have been having is causing the surging to almost go away. Comes back when the motor heats up to full operating temperature. Not sure what that is telling me?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > New Members Introduction Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page