Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   New Members Introduction Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/11-new-members-introduction-forum/)
-   -   New guy, too tall for most bikes (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/11-new-members-introduction-forum/665819-new-guy-too-tall-most-bikes.html)

KRasmussen 12-12-2018 02:09 PM

New guy, too tall for most bikes

Hi everyone, brand new here.

I'm 6'4" and 205lbs, lanky frame, 32 inseam. I don't yet own a bike but really want to get something soon. I don't want a dual sport bike nor anything too modern. I'm a sucker for old school/traditional bikes, something I can learn on, work on and ultimately customize/chop/bob etc. I love the old Goldwings and from what I've researched they have a much longer wheelbase than most bikes, hence my interest, but I'm hearing mixed things about tall guys fitting on them.

Any recommendations for a "beginner" bike for a tall dude would be appreciated. Thanks!

DaveO430 12-12-2018 05:29 PM

Welcome. You do have a dilemma , The only goldwing tall guys feel comfortable on is the GL1500, which is also the heaviest and not a starter bike & definitely not something you would want to butcher.

siouxindian 12-12-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRasmussen (Post 5809413)
Hi everyone, brand new here.

I'm 6'4" and 205lbs, lanky frame, 32 inseam. I don't yet own a bike but really want to get something soon. I don't want a dual sport bike nor anything too modern. I'm a sucker for old school/traditional bikes, something I can learn on, work on and ultimately customize/chop/bob etc. I love the old Goldwings and from what I've researched they have a much longer wheelbase than most bikes, hence my interest, but I'm hearing mixed things about tall guys fitting on them.

Any recommendations for a "beginner" bike for a tall dude would be appreciated. Thanks!

start on a dirt bike.

JamesPal 12-12-2018 08:11 PM

There are going to be some opposing comments about this, but I don't think any Goldwing makes a good first bike. There are a lot of good starter bikes in the 400 pound range. At 6'4" and a 32 inseam you are going to have problems with buffeting around the helmet on most windshield equipped bikes. One of the late model Triumph twins would be a reasonable place to start. I have my reasons for this statement and it is based on Safety. Just my 2

Rednaxs60 12-12-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesPal (Post 5809509)
There are going to be some opposing comments about this, but I don't think any Goldwing makes a good first bike. There are a lot of good starter bikes in the 400 pound range. At 6'4" and a 32 inseam you are going to have problems with buffeting around the helmet on most windshield equipped bikes. One of the late model Triumph twins would be a reasonable place to start. I have my reasons for this statement and it is based on Safety. Just my 2

Agree with JamesPal. Lots to consider when taking on a GW. Where are you located, can you ride all year round to get enough experience to step up to a larger bike? Your safety is paramount, too large a bike at start can ruin a good riding career. In Ontario, Canada the Ministry restricts the size of your first bike on initial licencing - this is when you are new to riding, or if you gave up your motorcycle licence in the past and have to get a motorcycle licence again.

Take an initial licencing course, ride for a year, take an advanced course to further your skill set. After a couple of years look for a GW.

Don't rush it, this will also let you look for a good used GW.

Just a few thoughts on this. Good luck. Cheers

DenverWinger 12-13-2018 06:26 AM

At 6' 6" with 36" inseam I am very comfortable on my 1500, and the 1100 isn't a bad fit either (the 1000, too, for that matter). I've heard of legroom complaints on the legacy 1800's, never sat on one to see. The new 1800's - ???..... Haven't sat on a 1200 either, but expect it would fit like a 1100.

I agree with the others, a Goldwing (especially a 1500, probably the heaviest of the lot) is not a good first bike, you should log a few thousand miles on something smaller.

The 1500 is not a good candidate for bobbing/chopping, but I've seen pictures of some nice 1100's and 1000's....

BTW - Welcome! :welc:

Bill-UK 12-13-2018 09:41 AM

Hi
Im 6 foot 2 inch, i have a GL 1500 & its my first ever bike, ive had it 2 years & no problems so far. Mind you i always have the accessory that shouts in my head piece if she thinks im going to fast. But honestly no problems with the size & weight, not something to cut up though.

De Motormuis 12-13-2018 09:53 AM

Hallo KRasmussen

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your search for a nice Wing.

dingdong 12-14-2018 06:49 AM

I doubt a 32" inseam is going to be a (fitment) problem on any of the older Goldwings. 1000 thru 1500. The 1800 may be. Your knees may touch the fairing on it. Mine do and I am only 5' 11" but with a 32" inseam.
That said, at 6' 4" you might look funny on a naked gl1000.:welc: :smile2:

Screw 12-15-2018 07:28 AM

Maybe a naked bike to start with a Shadow is what I would recommend at least a 700 for a starter bike. I think everyone has owned a Rebel for at least 2 months! The GL1100,1200,1500 all have plenty of leg room never rode any of the newer one's.