New GL1500 Owner from NC - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 SE
Garage
Cool New GL1500 Owner from NC

First, a little about me. Ive been riding since the late 60ís in the dirt and started dual sport on the street in 2013. I ride dirt, sport, adventure, and dual sport. Notable previous bikes include 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke R , many KTM 150, 200, 250, 300 CC 2-stroke dirt bikes, KTM 690 Enduro R, as well as various dual sport and road bikes.

My wife and I went to Sturgis this past August (2018) with friends and that was my first time on a Harley. We rented a Harley Ultra in Denver and rode up to Sturgis. For 10 days at the Buffalo Chip. We enjoyed the two-up riding on the Harley, but decided a Harley was not in our future. We normally ride an FJ-09 for two up, but she does not appreciate the wind when traveling over 80 mph.

Before the purchase of this non-running blue 2000 Gold Wing SE, I was down to 4 bikes in the garage: 2017 KTM 150 XCW, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2013 Suzuki DR790, 1973 Yamaha RD350. I did a 2 month, frame up resto-mod on the 1973 Yamaha this spring, so I was not really looking for another project bike.

My wife had been mentioning that I have too many bikes. I was mentally preparing to sell the Yamaha FJ-09.

One evening, a few weeks ago, after work she said that one of her coworkers wanted to sell their 2000 Goldwing. It had been parked, with a full tank of fuel, since 2006 and obviously was not running. I bought it and discovered the worst gas tank I had ever seen. After about 40 hours, numerous repair processes (tank, carbs, brakes, tires, battery, compressor service, oil, coolant, etc) the bike is running again. (Itís an understatement to say that there is a lot of stuff to take off to get to things on this bike. I donít ever want to rebuild the carbs again.)

That brings us to the first ride on the ďnewĒ bike. I had done a check ride already, and did all the work myself, so was pretty confident in the bike. We geared up and set out. Wow. What a blast. Wind management and comfort was outstanding. We rode about 60 miles then stopped for a break at a nice scenic lake overlook. Heading back towards home on the best twisty roads around, I unintentionally scrapped the right foot peg around a nice sweeper. A long way around. Concerns that she would be frightened were unfounded. At the next stop sign, she asked what that scraping sound was and is it supposed to do that. I told her it was just the foot peg scraping. We continued on and I dragged the left peg on a nice sweeper on the way back home (to balance it out, you know). We had a great ride. She remarked about how comfortable the ride was and how well it handled railroad track crossings. I was surprised by how smooth the 6 cylinder engine is. We racked up 88 miles and the gas gage was still at full. Back home in the garage, I inspected at the rear tire ó there is no chicken strip on the right and only a small one one the left.

I have to admit that I would have never considered buying a Goldwing and consider myself an unlikely candidate for a heavy bike. The sum total weight of three of my other bikes is less than the Goldwing! But the reality is that we really enjoyed the bike. This is the first bike Iíve ever owned that wonít stoppie or wheelie, but I donít care! First bike with linked brakes, but I donít think Iíll even need to brake-slide the back around a turn.

From Apex, NC ďThe Peak of Good LivingĒ I want to extend an invitation to anyone who may ever need assistance. I have tools and space if youíre ever in the area and need help, or even a restaurant or bar recommendation.

PS. The FJ-09 is up for sale now.

Mike in Apex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:43 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Welcome and thinks for the great intro.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:08 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles

A GoldWing is a motorcycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheelie.jpg (70.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: gif WINGLEAN.gif (49.2 KB, 7 views)

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:10 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have U with us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 03:47 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Hello Mike and Welcome to the forum family. You might check the air pressure in the rear suspension. If you add a bit ,it may give a little more angle before you scrape the pegs.
Enjoy the rides and visit often.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 11:28 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Mike, If your 2000 Wing does not have a volt meter, that would be a good addition to the bike. Quite a few of the OEM alternators were subject to premature failure. Its a good idea to monitor the voltage.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 07:11 AM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsracing View Post
First, a little about me. Ive been riding since the late 60ís in the dirt and started dual sport on the street in 2013. I ride dirt, sport, adventure, and dual sport. Notable previous bikes include 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke R , many KTM 150, 200, 250, 300 CC 2-stroke dirt bikes, KTM 690 Enduro R, as well as various dual sport and road bikes.

My wife and I went to Sturgis this past August (2018) with friends and that was my first time on a Harley. We rented a Harley Ultra in Denver and rode up to Sturgis. For 10 days at the Buffalo Chip. We enjoyed the two-up riding on the Harley, but decided a Harley was not in our future. We normally ride an FJ-09 for two up, but she does not appreciate the wind when traveling over 80 mph.

Before the purchase of this non-running blue 2000 Gold Wing SE, I was down to 4 bikes in the garage: 2017 KTM 150 XCW, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2013 Suzuki DR790, 1973 Yamaha RD350. I did a 2 month, frame up resto-mod on the 1973 Yamaha this spring, so I was not really looking for another project bike.

My wife had been mentioning that I have too many bikes. I was mentally preparing to sell the Yamaha FJ-09.

One evening, a few weeks ago, after work she said that one of her coworkers wanted to sell their 2000 Goldwing. It had been parked, with a full tank of fuel, since 2006 and obviously was not running. I bought it and discovered the worst gas tank I had ever seen. After about 40 hours, numerous repair processes (tank, carbs, brakes, tires, battery, compressor service, oil, coolant, etc) the bike is running again. (Itís an understatement to say that there is a lot of stuff to take off to get to things on this bike. I donít ever want to rebuild the carbs again.)

That brings us to the first ride on the ďnewĒ bike. I had done a check ride already, and did all the work myself, so was pretty confident in the bike. We geared up and set out. Wow. What a blast. Wind management and comfort was outstanding. We rode about 60 miles then stopped for a break at a nice scenic lake overlook. Heading back towards home on the best twisty roads around, I unintentionally scrapped the right foot peg around a nice sweeper. A long way around. Concerns that she would be frightened were unfounded. At the next stop sign, she asked what that scraping sound was and is it supposed to do that. I told her it was just the foot peg scraping. We continued on and I dragged the left peg on a nice sweeper on the way back home (to balance it out, you know). We had a great ride. She remarked about how comfortable the ride was and how well it handled railroad track crossings. I was surprised by how smooth the 6 cylinder engine is. We racked up 88 miles and the gas gage was still at full. Back home in the garage, I inspected at the rear tire ó there is no chicken strip on the right and only a small one one the left.

I have to admit that I would have never considered buying a Goldwing and consider myself an unlikely candidate for a heavy bike. The sum total weight of three of my other bikes is less than the Goldwing! But the reality is that we really enjoyed the bike. This is the first bike Iíve ever owned that wonít stoppie or wheelie, but I donít care! First bike with linked brakes, but I donít think Iíll even need to brake-slide the back around a turn.

From Apex, NC ďThe Peak of Good LivingĒ I want to extend an invitation to anyone who may ever need assistance. I have tools and space if youíre ever in the area and need help, or even a restaurant or bar recommendation.

PS. The FJ-09 is up for sale now.

Mike in Apex
oh that bike will pull a wheelie just fine. all of em will.

life is good.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:36 AM

Year: 1995
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL 1500 SE
Garage
Hallo mjsracing

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

Greetings Wil.

It is beautiful on the road with all the Goldwings.
A Goldwing rider is a happy rider.

See my Albums to see what my nickname means, and see photo's from our holiday in Australia.
Also see my other albums from my motor holidays.

Look in My Garage for photo's from my Goldwing
GL 1500 SE. Two tone green.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:06 AM

Year: 2010
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1800-Made in USA

You're never too old....

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > New Members Introduction Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page