REBORN Goldwing Rider
I have been riding since I was 17. I am nor 49. Always a Honda Rider. I am now on my 2nd Goldwing. First was a 77 GL1100 Which unfortunately is long gone. But, this last August, I bought a 1983 GL1100 Aspencade. Got the greatest deal on it. It BARELY cast me 3 figures... lol. Looked like it was all there, but the guy couldn't get it started. But he did have it running just days before. So I figured why not. I spent the day driving from the Jersey Shore to New London Connecticut and back with my new toy.
I got it home and quickly discovered that the starter clutch was no good. ENGINE OUT TIME. I had never done this to a Goldwing before. And honestly, its still not done. LOL. I got caught up in the whole "WHILE IT IS OUT" syndrome. LOL. While the engine is out and on the bench, I decided to pull the heads as well. I seen antifreeze in the oil. Found out that the head gaskets were fine. I just confirmed today that the water pump is WIPED OUT. Tons of bearing play. SO I just took that apart. Measured the clutch, it is somewhere between acceptable to reinstall and replace. So, I am going to replace it. I figured I might as well replace the stator as well. No sense in putting the old one back in. especially not knowing its age. So I am currently awaiting parts, and money to buy parts, so I can reassemble.
All the while I also decided that whoever painted this bike last must have been blind and had NO SENSE at all. So, its getting new paint. Whoever painted it never even scuffed the old paint. Honestly, if you used a blowgun at some of the corners, you can blow off paint chips. And they painted over the factory pin striping. And then they hand painted new pin striping over the factory. All the stuff you could not see in the pictures. But for $100, I was not going to complain. Especially after driving all the way up there. So every piece of plastic is off. It took me 4 hours last weekend to get the pin striping off of the tops of the saddle bags, the trunk lid and the fuel filler doors. Hoping to get the rest done this weekend. The plan is to get the accent paint done next week. It is going "Close" to original color. It was Brandywine from the factory. I am going with a Black Ruby Red Pearl. with some gloss black accents. I am attaching some pics as I got it, plus some as disassembly happened. And I will update as I progress.