Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   New Members Introduction Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/11-new-members-introduction-forum/)
-   -   Greetings from 'Bama (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/11-new-members-introduction-forum/666897-greetings-bama.html)

run4jc 04-08-2019 07:42 PM

Greetings from 'Bama

8 Attachment(s)
Hello all. Just (today) acquired a very clean 1998 1500 Aspencade. 2 owners before me. Very clean - 65k miles. I didn't start riding until about a year and a half ago (I'm 61) and I've been riding a 2004 VTX1800C. Great bike - low miles - clean as a whistle.

But I always wanted a Goldwing. Didn't have $30k to drop on a new one, and I couldn't really find a deal I wanted on a used one. This 1998 popped up and it was a great deal....my wife LOVED the back seat, so I did it. Rode it home today from the previous owner's house and was amazed at how stable and smooth it is on the interstate. I love the VTX, but it lets you feel the wind buffeting on the interstate - even with the windshield.

So looking forward to my wife and I rolling up the miles on it seeing the countryside.

The previous owner had just changed the battery, and now the radio presets and the clock reset every time you turn off the key, but that's not a huge deal. I've been doing research here and I'm sure it'll prove to be an easy fix - a fuse or something.

So happy to be here - hope to learn - hope to contribute. God Bless America!

DaveO430 04-08-2019 08:43 PM

:welc:

OnaWingAndaPrayer 04-08-2019 09:03 PM

Hello and Welcome to the forum family . Visit often and enjoy the rides.

trike lady 04-08-2019 09:27 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.

Bike...and Dennis 04-08-2019 10:55 PM

siouxindian 04-08-2019 11:06 PM

De Motormuis 04-09-2019 04:29 PM

Hallo run4jc

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

DBohrer 04-10-2019 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome and a suggestion.............!!

The previous owner had just changed the battery, and now the radio presets and the clock reset every time you turn off the key, but that's not a huge deal. I've been doing research here and I'm sure it'll prove to be an easy fix - a fuse or something.

Check the # 13 (backup) 5-amp fuse in the relay box. It keeps power to the radio presets and clock when the ignition is off.

run4jc 04-10-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBohrer (Post 5834809)

Check the # 13 (backup) 5-amp fuse in the relay box. It keeps power to the radio presets and clock when the ignition is off.

Thank you - I'll try that and report back. Going to be raining this weekend so I won't be riding, but I'll surely be cleaning and tinkering. Ridden it the past couple of days and I'm still amazed that a 21 year old bike can be so solid. Of course, it's a Honda. My '04 VTX is tight, too.

run4jc 04-14-2019 03:48 PM

It worked!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBohrer (Post 5834809)

Reporting in - this afternoon after church I decided to roll up my sleeves and dig around a little. Took the seat off because I wanted to :smile2:, took off the bottom piece of the trunk and loosened the left side saddle bag. This allowed me to get to the relays without actually removing the bag completely. It also allowed me to remove the back rest - I prefer the stock seat without the back rest.

The good news? Replaced the #13 5A backup fuse as suggested and voila! - radio holds presets, plays louder, and the clock keeps time. Very happy. Thanks for the help!!